Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 6:17 am

Poll: Does this testimonial change your belief in God?
This poll is closed.
Yes
3.17%
2 3.17%
No
96.83%
61 96.83%
Total 63 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Near death experience of Howard Storm
RE: Near death experience of Howard Storm
Maybe the near death experience is not real but merely created in our heads like a dream seconds after our death. The Brain is shown to still have a few minutes of activity before completely shutting off.
"I am against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

BIBLE - Blatant Intellectually Bankrupt Lies and Evil

(January 28, 2016 at 8:32 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: Hey everyone. I'm new the forum and wanted to talk about near death experiences. Personally for me information from NDEs changed my life for the better. I think unlike religion, they offer better evidence of the spiritual realms and existence of God. Hoping we can have a civil discussion about it. I'm open to your views and hope we can reciprocate the respect for each other.

I would say the most amazing experiences that I have read was from Howard Storm. He was an atheist confident that nothing happens after life and his life was completely changed after his death experience. I met Howard and listened to his story, and want to share with you all here.

Please read through the short testimonial and let me know what you think so we can talk about it. There is a lot more infomation I can post, but this would be the place to start.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/no...storm.html
Hi, well first of that absolutely didn't convinced me that there is afterlife.The whole article is written in propaganda christian style especially these sentences ,,He often would use rage to control everyone around him and he didn’t find joy in anything. Anything that wasn’t seen, touched or felt, he had no faith in" This article is saying if you are atheist you can't enjoy anything because you don't believe in god or gods.Thats is a straight bias.In my opinion atheist are more likely to feel every moment in their lifes, to enjoy every second because they know that after you die it is the end for them.

In conclusion i personally don't believe in his story.

Have a nice day Smile
If you think your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living.You're just waiting to die.
This thread had a near death experience too!

As far as this man's claim :

Could be mere bullshit. Have you experienced more liars or ghosts in your life? One is as common as cigarette butts on the ground outside an AA meeting.

Credible? Think about the physical condition this man was in. Delirious from pain and toxins. Unconscious! What if he made the claim that he saw from the spirit world someone in this world commit a crime such as murder? Would he be considered a credible witness? Why would anything about his experience other than "That Sucked" be a credible claim?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 24, 2016 at 2:06 am)Incognito Wrote: Maybe the near death experience is not real but merely created in our heads like a dream seconds after our death. The Brain is shown to still have a few minutes of activity before completely shutting off.

Try to switch off the light and see how many seconds it takes for the light to go off.
Not even one second.
The brain work in the same way.
As soon as the heart stop sending blood and oxygen to the brain the brain is automatically off.
No time to do anything at all.
This is science not the kind of bull that you guess.

That clearly means that the consciousness take over and again means that we are immortal.
A bad news for atheist pride but a good news for atheists anyway because we never die and
something great expect us.  Lightbulb
(August 26, 2016 at 10:40 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(June 24, 2016 at 2:06 am)Incognito Wrote: Maybe the near death experience is not real but merely created in our heads like a dream seconds after our death. The Brain is shown to still have a few minutes of activity before completely shutting off.

Try to switch off the light and see how many seconds it takes for the light to go off.
Not even one second.
The brain work in the same way.
As soon as the heart stop sending blood and oxygen to the brain the brain is automatically off.
No time to do anything at all.
This is science not the kind of bull that you guess.

That clearly means that the consciousness take over and again means that we are immortal.
A bad news for atheist pride but a good news for atheists anyway because we never die and
something great expect us.  Lightbulb

Oh obviously!  How can anyone doubt it for a second?  Gosh, what sad sacks we atheists are to hang on to grim denial when just by accepting delusion we could live as immortals.
Our bodies don't work like a closed circuit bulb in any context...so I'm not sure how informative that analogy would be even if you could manage to string together a valid inference...which you failed to do regardless.

Is this the sort of stuff that your beliefs are based upon, Rik? Do you require these comments to be factually accurate or rationally valid, because if not...why bother (for either of us)? If you do require it, it would take all of twenty seconds or so to explain to you why you're wrong from every possible angle(and hey, don't take my word for it, you can look it up for yourself)...which is to say why your beliefs..dependent upon the truth of these statements, are wrong from every possible angle. Something tells me that you aren't interested in anything that might lead to the latter, which is why you didn't take the twenty seconds required to reach that conclusion....but I enjoy being wrong.

Could you answer two questions for me?

-How long can a person hold their breath?
-After exceeding that limit, how much longer until their brain has completely "shut down"?

Here's a third question, consider it a bonus, what is a "non-sequitur"?

Let wonder lead you to knowledge.
(try google)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Howard Storm didn't experience a loss of blood flow to the brain, so that doesn't apply to his NDE.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 28, 2016 at 8:32 pm)scoobysnack Wrote:

Please read through the short testimonial and let me know what you think so we can talk about it. There is a lot more infomation I can post, but this would be the place to start.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/no...storm.html
I read the whole thing but in fact, I only needed to read to the middle of the first sentence of the second paragraph:

Howard Storm Wrote:While I was undergoing this stress...
Neurological responses to stress are well studied and explained. There's nothing in the entire piece that is inconsistent with such expected stress responses.

End of story.
Sum ergo sum
(August 26, 2016 at 11:15 am)Rhythm Wrote: Our bodies don't work like a closed circuit bulb in any context...so I'm not sure how informative that analogy would be even if you could manage to string together a valid inference...which you failed to do regardless.

Is this the sort of stuff that your beliefs are based upon, Rik?  Do you require these comments to be factually accurate or rationally valid, because if not...why bother (for either of us)?  If you do require it, it would take all of twenty seconds or so to explain to you why you're wrong from every possible angle(and hey, don't take my word for it, you can look it up for yourself)...which is to say why your beliefs..dependent upon the truth of these statements, are wrong from every possible angle.  Something tells me that you aren't interested in anything that might lead to the latter, which is why you didn't take the twenty seconds required to reach that conclusion....but I enjoy being wrong.

Could you answer two questions for me?  

-How long can a person hold their breath?
-After exceeding that limit, how much longer until their brain has completely "shut down"?  

Here's a third question, consider it a bonus, what is a "non-sequitur"?

Let wonder lead you to knowledge.
(try google)

You are a total joke Rit.  Wink

You ask me about the meaning of ......non sequitur........and then it is you that do not follow
the argument by comparing a death caused by a lack of breath with a death caused by totally different reasons in which the heart stop first.
Get real son.
In previous posts I already show expert reports in which the brain is unable to do absolutely nothing as soon as the heart stop sending blood and oxygen to the brain.
Are you more expert than the qualified expert?
You just fool yourself Rit.  Smile
Wow, who would have thought that this OP would generate 41 pages of total utter useless discussion.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Temporal lobe epilepsy & religious experience. Jehanne 80 5641 March 20, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17381 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Noah's Ark (!) Shows How Seaworthy It Is In A Storm Minimalist 68 13887 January 10, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5574 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7940 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  My experience in a Moon church/organization (korean religion) Macoleco 20 7162 May 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Lightning Storm Therefore God... ReptilianPeon 22 3172 May 7, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Doing a big poo is a Religious experience FreeTony 8 3963 February 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: StuW
  Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up Fidel_Castronaut 20 9034 July 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Disturbed Theist Calls The Atheist Experience Cosmic Ape 117 49381 April 10, 2013 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Ryantology