Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 12:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading?
RE: Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading?
(September 16, 2017 at 10:32 pm)SteveII Wrote: Testimony is an assertion of fact. If you believe the person you accept the content of the testimony as fact. If you accept someone's testimony as fact, you have evidence to support a conclusion.
No, if you accept someones testimony as fact, then you've accepted someones testimony as fact.  I could have sworn we'd discussed this before.....everyone accepts their religions religious testimony...thats a job requirement for being in that religion. That doesn't mean that, by sheer acceptance of the stories people tell, they all have evidence to support their conclusions.

That somebody somewhere believes in something is not evidence of that something. You don't believe that it is any more than I do - no matter what lies you feel compelled to float for christ, and you cannot possibly be applying this ridiculous assertion equally.

Quote:Notice none of these steps are considered proof.
It isn't evidence, either, regardless of whether or not you consider it as such.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Steve is coming dangerously close to "since you can't disprove the miracles of Jesus, that means they must've happened."

Apologist philosophy, ladies and gentlemen.

Hmm. Let's see if that's how my argument went in my recent post:

a. Jesus most certainly was born, baptized, and died in the time period claimed. (other sources)
b. Pete, James and John were known eyewitnesses to both the public and private events of Jesus' three year ministry
c. They presided over the early church
d. This early church instructed Paul
e. As evidenced by Paul's letters, this early church believed the claims later outlined in the gospels (long before they where written)
f. Peter, James and John eventually wrote letters in emphasizing the themes found in the gospels
g. Luke wrote Luke and Acts with the purpose of outlining the events from the birth of Christ through his present day
h. The editors of Matthew, Mark, and John were all alive during the lifetimes of these people above (it is unknown if the actual people with the pen were eyewitnesses)
i. The editors would have been know to the recipients of the gospels. The books were name by which apostle influenced that particular book
j. The early church, who we know believed the claims of Jesus already, accepted the gospels. There is nothing in the early church writings that questioned them.
k. The gospels dovetail nicely with Paul's writings based on his training directly from all the eyewitnesses (completing a loop)
THEREFORE it is reasonable to infer that the events of the gospels are at the very least good representations of what really happened.
L. Jesus' purported miracles defy all known laws of physics and our understanding of human biology. Despite the possibility of the apostles actually believing these things (instead of, you know, trying to sell a religion), a belief in them occurring does not actually lend any veracity to that belief.

You can't argue a god into being. Belief in something doesn't make that something exist by itself. Even if several billion people believe in it. There needs to be a way to test and verify, and no religion has that.

Ultimately, I wonder who you're trying to convince - us, or yourself?
(September 16, 2017 at 10:32 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(September 16, 2017 at 7:36 pm)Astreja Wrote: Get back to me when you can consistently restore limbs to amputees and life to the dead, Steve.

That last sentence, the reasoning is significanlty flawed. You want me, a person clearly of the natural world to produce a supernatural cause. That isn't even a logical possibility.

So you don't believe John 14:12?   Huh
Watch.  I bet you are taking that out of context or something.

Jerkoff
So all the miraculous god powers Christians are suppose to be blessed with are a crock of shit . What a surprise.

(September 17, 2017 at 12:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: Watch.  I bet you are taking that out of context or something.

Jerkoff

Of course . Unless their doing it then it's fine. Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(September 17, 2017 at 12:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: Watch.  I bet you are taking that out of context or something.

Jerkoff

In other words: "I believe it. I just don't believe it. But you should believe it too."
(September 16, 2017 at 11:26 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: I'm pointing out that you defined evidence as facts that support a conclusion and you just acknowledged that claims of the testimony may not be fact, therefore by your own standards for evidence that you set up testimony would not count as evidence. Then you said in the OP that testimony will be considered evidence for religions, which i'm pretty sure is special pleading.

Testimony is an assertion of fact. If you believe the person you accept the content of the testimony as fact. If you accept someone's testimony as fact, you have evidence to support a conclusion. Notice none of these steps are considered proof.

I said that last statement because some people here think testimony is not evidence in any situation.

Yes it is an assertion of fact, not an actual fact, in order for it to be fact it would need to be verified. So Testimony absent verification cannot be fact, therefore it cannot be evidence, since you defined evidence as "facts that support a conclusion". 

If your just going to let people assert their own "facts" without verification, you put yourself in a position in which you can't determine what is actually true. Your actually a walking example of special pleading because you accept these unverified claims of Christianity as fact, but you don't apply that same standard to the claims of the various religions.
(September 16, 2017 at 11:02 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(September 16, 2017 at 9:30 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Steve is coming dangerously close to "since you can't disprove the miracles of Jesus, that means they must've happened."

Apologist philosophy, ladies and gentlemen.

Hmm. Let's see if that's how my argument went in my recent post:

k. The gospels dovetail nicely with Paul's writings based on his training directly from all the eyewitnesses (completing a loop)
THEREFORE it is reasonable to infer that the events of the gospels are at the very least good representations of what really happened.

I'll only address K.
Are you forgetting all the gospels that they threw out because they did not dovetail with pauls writing?

Are you forgetting the ruthless suppression of anything that did not fit with the "truth"tm as prescribed by the church and empire.

The reason for the hiding of the dead sea scrolls.

With the Gospel of Jesus, Judas, Mary and peter, none of which made the final cut because they all told different tales.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 16, 2017 at 11:26 am)Mr.wizard Wrote: I'm pointing out that you defined evidence as facts that support a conclusion and you just acknowledged that claims of the testimony may not be fact, therefore by your own standards for evidence that you set up testimony would not count as evidence. Then you said in the OP that testimony will be considered evidence for religions, which i'm pretty sure is special pleading.

Testimony is an assertion of fact. If you believe the person you accept the content of the testimony as fact. If you accept someone's testimony as fact, you have evidence to support a conclusion.

lol, what?! What the hell kind of logic is that? You know that isn't remotely true, Steve.  So, if I accept the testimony of the folks who believe the Mandela effect is caused by parallel universes overlapping with ours, then I have evidence that supports that conclusion?  This is low even for you.  Is there a reason you skipped over responding to me, btw?  Just curious.

Once again, Steve has done a fine job of arguing himself over to the opposing position, lol.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91851 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4991 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39257 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29317 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21257 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6167 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 139307 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5280 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94095 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11446 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut