Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 7:59 pm

Poll: What will you do?
This poll is closed.
Option 1
80.00%
12 80.00%
Option 2
20.00%
3 20.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question)
RE: What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question)
Whoops pressed the wrong option . I meant to pick 1 . How do you change it?.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Where's option 3?

3) First confide to your mate that you are gay but haven't told anybody.
Then tell him how his girlfriend got all friendly with you...Both have a good laugh and a beer over it!

Everybody happy again.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
bennyboy Wrote:No, that's not better. Your friend is entering into a lifelong mating and financial relationship with a whore. Being a good friend means not letting that happen to a friend, even if it might cause you to lose the friendship.

Yup, I can understand your thinking, I just don't think it's worth it because even though you tell to protect your friends back even he is not going to be on your side, he'll be on the side that will be seeing you with doubt which will be the majority.

bennyboy Wrote:No, that's not better. Your friend is entering into a lifelong mating and financial relationship with a whore. Being a good friend means not letting that happen to a friend, even if it might cause you to lose the friendship.

That's pretty admirable, most people would rather maintain the friendship and "sacrifice" the friend, I like your different approach where you're maintaining the friend while sacrificing the friendship even though it will most definitely work against you but I like it.
I don't get why you would keep your mouth shut if it were a marriage though?? Doesn't that kind of raise the stakes..

(October 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: He wouldn't be acting normal when someone walked into the room.

He'd be on the floor, groaning and clutching his nuts.

Then I'd tell my best friend all about it.

Lol! What if it was Hugh Jackman?? Big Grin
(October 17, 2017 at 3:51 am)pool the matey Wrote: I don't get why you would keep your mouth shut if it were a marriage though?? Doesn't that kind of raise the stakes..

I'm talking about transgressions made before the marriage. If she's flirting with me right now after he's been married to, I'm gonna rat the bitch out. Or fuck her. Surprised nobody has mentioned the latter option.
pool the matey, there is a very high probability he won't believe you. If he can't see his GF is this type of person already, you telling him about what happened will only make him think you are jealous and trying to break the best thing in his life.
(October 17, 2017 at 9:15 am)MysticKnight Wrote: pool the matey, there is a very high probability he won't believe you. If he can't see his GF is this type of person already, you telling him about what happened will only make him think you are jealous and trying to break the best thing in his life.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. Just not worth it. Imo the only two options are you either continue sneaking around with your best friends girl/guy which is just....beyond unethical or just ignore it and make sure it doesn't happen again. This sort of thing has happened to me twice before, the first time I told the guy but she made up a story that it was me who was making moves and I lost a lot of friends and ended up looking like an Idiot, the next time it happened I just shut up about it and made sure I was not left alone with her again but I had to slowly cut friendship with my bud after that because it just didn't feel right...They're still together though..god help him..
I would tell. A person deserves to know it if their significant other is a cheater, especially if they are on the verge of getting married and having kids.

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's better not to tell.

(October 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm)pool the matey Wrote: Well, say you do tell your best friend about it. Now you're going to be the guy that ended a 8 year long relationship.. . That's not a small thing to bear.
Or your friend don't believe you, cmon the guy has been with this chick for 8 years, he's probably going to think something like you're jealous of their relationship or something....and now you're the guy that's jealous of his best friend doing good...

YOU did not end the relationship. The cheater did.

(October 16, 2017 at 2:26 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(October 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm)pool the matey Wrote: Well, say you do tell your best friend about it. Now you're going to be the guy that ended a 8 year long relationship.. . That's not a small thing to bear.
Or your friend don't believe you, cmon the guy has been with this chick for 8 years, he's probably going to think something like you're jealous of their relationship or something....and now you're the guy that's jealous of his best friend doing good...

That's not an ethical dilemma though.
His GF is a sexual predator that is lying to him. It is your obligation to tell him, after perhaps as Losty pointed out, after you file a police report. There is no dilemma.
If he resents you for it when the truth comes out or he doesn't believe you at all, that sucks. But keeping those possibilities in mind doesn't make your choice of option 2 any more ethical. Instead its more selfish, actually. You don't want to upset the natural order and would rather let your friend get cheated on and have a sexual predator go on harrassing others? That's cowardice, not ethics.

Perfectly said.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Ring her and talk about what happened.
Record the conversation.
If she says it was a stupid mistake and won't happen again, forget about it.
If she admits she wants to bonk your brains out and tries to set up a rendezvous, give her the option of telling him herself or you'll let him hear the recording.
She may have the second option of just splitting up with him citing irreconcilable differences without him hearing the recording.
It's best not to have him thinking, 'what's he got that I haven't.'
(October 16, 2017 at 11:22 am)pool the matey Wrote: You have a friend. He/She is your best friend. You've been friends for a long long time and you're very dear friends.

This friend of yours have a boyfriend/girlfriend that he/she loves very much. They've been dating for more than 8 years. They are such a lovely couple hoping to get married one day. All they talk about is how many kids they're going to have, their marriage, their future, they're really in love etc.

One day you're left alone with the girlfriend/boyfriend of your best friend for a brief moment and he/she starts touching you, kissing you, feeling you up, like basically sexually assault you and immediately goes back to normal when somebody walked in. 

You're shocked. This person is nothing like you had imagined and you're left with two options:

1) You tell your best friend what happened. 
2) You don't tell your best friend what happened. 

What will you do? Why?

1) You can tell him , it's a big probability that he will argue with her, he forgives her than says fuck off to you.
2)Well , that will be bad for your friend with a 80%  certainity

There is no simple answer to this , there are a lot of factor to take in consideration. Life isn't binary, it depends on the situation.
And if the friend is totaly emotional dependent to her , even if he caught her doing that , it probably won't  matter in the end .
(October 17, 2017 at 11:03 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I would tell. A person deserves to know it if their significant other is a cheater, especially if they are on the verge of getting married and having kids.

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's better not to tell.

/thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3344 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2732 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4433 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Euthyphro dilemma ignoramus 198 21122 October 28, 2017 at 9:12 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Euthyphro dilemma asked for evolution. Mystic 78 24255 February 2, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7675 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 16379 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 3026 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Moral Dilemma EgoRaptor 98 21487 February 20, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: FlyingNarwhal
  are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? justin 266 77222 May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: fr0d0