Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do if you found out God existed
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed
But you are saying "based on what I believe."  Big difference.
(November 1, 2017 at 2:20 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(November 1, 2017 at 2:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Ultimately we don't have concrete evidence, so we can't know for sure. But I see nothing wrong with saying "Based on what I do know, this is what I believe is probably the case." We do that all the time in real life, with all sorts of things.

We don't have concrete evidence to support the existence of many things, yet we are perfectly comfortable daily stating for a fact that they do not exist: unicorns, Santa Clause, etc.  There is no reason for god to be eliminated from that list.

Bolded:  Provide an example or two of which sorts of things.

My doctor thinks I have a certain condition based on a couple of things. The only way to know for sure is to have another surgery... which I haven't had yet. Nonetheless, it is his opinion that I have this condition.  

It is suspected that Maura Murray who disappeared back in 2004 simply walked into the woods and succumbed to the elements. Animal activity may explain her body never having been found. No proof of anything yet, but this seems to be the logical conclusion according to the local police.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: My doctor thinks I have a certain condition based on a couple of things. The only way to know for sure is to have another surgery... which I haven't had yet. Nonetheless, it is his opinion that I have this condition.  

It is suspected that Maura Murray who disappeared back in 2004 simply walked into the woods and succumbed to the elements. Animal activity may explain her body never having been found. No proof of anything yet, but this seems to be the logical conclusion according to the local police.

And there is nothing wrong with that; for the doctor is relying upon his medical knowledge to give you a general idea, most likely until the lab results return. Also, nothing wrong with the girl getting lost in the woods; the police must rely upon their knowledge of the local area and how animals behave there.

Now, if one was to illogically insert god, in one form or another, into those scenarios, then that would be unreasonable.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
My point is we make educated guesses all the time. Just because there is no concrete proof of something doesn't automatically mean we should discard it as a possibility. Believing in the existence of the supernatural is no different.

As far as the origin of the universe is concerned:

1. We don't have proof that there are certain things in the natural/physical world that have always existed or that can spontaneously start existing from nothing. In fact, we only have proof to the contrary. Things in the physical natural world have a beginning and come from something else.

2. We also don't have proof that there exists anything beyond the natural physical world which would defy these laws of nature - aka, the supernatural.

If you say "there absolutely is nothing beyond our natural physical world", you're basically conceding that something in the natural physical world either has always existed or spontaneously came to exist, even though there is no proof that either of this can happen.

If you say "obviously there is more beyond our natural physical world that is not bound by the laws of nature", you're taking a position that also has no proof.

Either way, you're making some sort of guess that is not based on concrete evidence.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
God is the opposite of an educated guess. Always has been.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: My point is we make educated guesses all the time.

"God" or "supernatural" is hardly an educated guess, it's a mere intellectually lazy response for people who cannot properly distinguish between fantasy and reality.

(November 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Just because there is no concrete proof of something doesn't automatically mean we should discard it as a possibility.

Sure it does; I don't see you scrambling to profess your belief in monsters under the bed.

(November 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Believing in the existence of the supernatural is no different.

By all means, believe in the existence of absolutely everything for which we have no evidence to support its existence; don't blame me for calling you out on your delusion.
~ Erin Hunter
(November 1, 2017 at 1:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:People who believe that the supernatural exists should do so because it makes logical sense to them, for one reason or another.

Perhaps "illogical sense" would be a better choice of words?

[Image: gods.png]

You have to willingly jump through lots of hoops to get there.

This is just as if somebody threw away the word tetrahedron because he does not know how to understand it.
The question about religious systems is not weather You believe in a word or not, because its there. A religious system incorporates different societal strata, which will all understand the word differently. There is only one true meaning of a given word in such a system, which is the meaning as it is understood by the highest priest.

Learning integrals takes at least one semester. No student ever dared to say that he does not believe in integrals and will not study it because he thinks its stupid. One has to see the infinite dumbness of today's society, the arrogance of the people who work in the camp of liars.

In my society people with high intelectual capabilities have been killed during or shortly after world war 2, why would anybody want to keep the average intelligence at a lower rather than higher level. John Paul 2 said that wise citizen's are the greatest asset of any society. 
Now if we take into account that resources are the main goal of war and conquest it becomes obvious that dumbing people down and feeding them with disinformation is a move that will be used by any group of power against other players.

Just take a simple example of how certain information that are obvious are being completely ignored. Have You ever felt somebody's gaze on You. Has any girl ever turned around after You stared at her for too long. There are many examples that show how science is selective and ignores any kind of information that could lead to discoveries that would underminde the stability of the power structure. It is obvious that a prove of the supernatural even if proven without any possibility of doubt would not be shared with the public. There is a book by Le Bon about mass psychology that touches a very sensetive topic. This topic has been studied further in non public institutions and the information is classified.

Why would there be something as classified information if not to prevent somebody from knowing something. Has anybody touched the topic of the success rate of this system? What kind of measures would be taken to prevent leakes of information? Obviously truth is not just something that can be put into the mainstream and circulated as one would wish it to happen.
Do you really want to discuss success rates of systems in a comparison between god belief and science.........?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Have You ever felt somebody's gaze on You.

No.  And neither have you.  But you do have an active imagination.
(November 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: If you say "there absolutely is nothing beyond our natural physical world", you're basically conceding that something in the natural physical world either has always existed or spontaneously came to exist, even though there is no proof that either of this can happen.

Just a little definition before I continue. I am a strong atheist:
Quote:Strong atheism, also sometimes referred to as explicit atheism, goes one step further and involves denying the existence of at least one god, usually multiple gods, and sometimes the possible existence of any gods at all.

Therefore, unlike the weak atheist, don't confuse all of us because not everyone on this forum is a strong atheist like myself, I have no qualms in making the positive claim that god, the supernatural, does not exist.

Absence of evidence is a valid, logical argument; as I have already mentioned previously, I do not see you scrambling to profess your belief in everything for which there is no evidence to support its existence: i.e., the monster under the bed. The fact that you willingly believe in god, the supernatural, in the absence of any hard evidence, is your mental hang-up, not mine.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 6698 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3371 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4727 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1440 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2897 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4311 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2321 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15796 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 7041 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2631 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon