Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive controversy between Christians right now: Is Hell eternal punishment?
RE: Massive controversy between Christians right now: Is Hell eternal punishment?
(August 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm)coffeeveritas Wrote: People in Rwanda have not been condemned, they didn't do anything wrong (well, the people that were killed certainly didn't).

The tutsi that were massacred were part of a minority that had systematically oppressed the hutus for generations.

Doesnt mean it was right, but there was a reason for the massacre, people had a genuine greivance.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Massive controversy between Christians right now: Is Hell eternal punishment?
Oh please, coffeeveritas, you mentioned Rob Bell, the same Michigan pastor is arguing for universalism, yet denies being a universalist.

I don't care whether he's labelled as a heretic by Christians or not, its a waste of time debating about someone who is intellectually dishonest about their own position, or cannot identify what their core-beliefs are, regardless of their argument.
Well, on the one hand, it does sort of remove the urgency from fire-and-brimstone preachers. On the other hand, considering that it appears that making Hell finite definitely makes Jehovah seem less like a complete monster.

All that said, there's no evidence for the existence of Hell outside of The Bible, so this is ultimately pointless.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: The tutsi that were massacred were part of a minority that had systematically oppressed the hutus for generations.

I think you have it the other way around. Tutsi appeared slight less "negro" to white eyes and were therefore credited with greater "civilizability" than the more "negro" looking Hutus. Consequently under European Colonial administration such education, power and privilege that the Europeans were willing to cede to the natives were given primarily to the Tutsis, despite the fact that Hutus were the majority ethnic group. The educational, social, financial, and administrative advantages of Tutsis continued after the colonial era.

It was partly demogogury taking advantage of the Hutu resentment against perceived inequity that the Rowandan genocity by Hutus against Tutsis erupted.

Rob Bell is by no means the first one to write about the demise of Hell and/or the duration of horrific torture.

Hell Destroyed is an interesting article - only in the fact that it shows yet again how Christians can't even agree with Christians about their fairy tale afterlife.

Utter god damn nonsense no matter how you look at it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Utter god damn nonsense no matter how you look at it.

Hell ( and heaven, for that matter) are human concoctions and can be disposed of by humans whenever the fuck they feel like it.
(August 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Oh please, coffeeveritas, you mentioned Rob Bell, the same Michigan pastor is arguing for universalism, yet denies being a universalist.

I don't care whether he's labelled as a heretic by Christians or not, its a waste of time debating about someone who is intellectually dishonest about their own position, or cannot identify what their core-beliefs are, regardless of their argument.
I see you listen to sensationalist news rather than wanting to get to the facts. Rob Bell is certainly well respected, and he isn't a Universalist, nor is he arguing for it.
"We're rediscovering Christianity as an Eastern religion, as a way of life."

I bet you are Rob, I bet you are. Thats what you do when you lose market share, you offer a similar product.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 15, 2011 at 7:38 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: ROFLOL So now the xtians have initiated a "get out of hell free" gambit??? :S

ROMLMFAO!! ROFLOLROFLOLROFLOLROFLOL

I like the little laughing chorus line. Yeah it kind of seems to come from no where, but this isn't a new idea, just one that wasn't as popular. It's been in church history since very early on. I'm hoping that if Christians don't have the "turn or burn" mindset we can just talk to people and not worry about it so much. I mean, me personally, I think talking about atheism and Christianity is interesting, but I don't see the need to talk to people who don't believe in God as if an atheist is all that they are. Like their whole life is defined by the one position and they have no hobbies or interests otherwise.
When is eternal (everlasting) not eternal, as far as I can find never. People can play with the Greek language the same as any language can be played with, the best way to find the meaning of any word is to compare it's uses in the same text. So I give this, Matthew 25:46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." The same Greek word is used for eternal so the punishment and life must be the same no matter how you translate the word eternal. The same Greek word is used in 2nd Thessalonians 1:9 for evelasting. "And these will pay the penalty of everlasting destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and away from the glory of His power. In the NASB the word eternal is used in place of everlasting to try and keep some consistency in the wording of scripture, I do not see this as important in this case, because both words are completely interchangable.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gospel of John controversy Jillybean 13 1362 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1801 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
  [Serious] What God's justification for eternal torment? SuicideCommando01 279 23642 December 18, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 3234 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 8175 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9466 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 10871 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 5665 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 27546 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 6249 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose