Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The connection between Christianity and Capitalism
The connection between Christianity and Capitalism
On the surface, Christianity and Capitalism should be incompatible.  After all, Jesus preaches charity above all else and taking care of your fellow man.  Most Christians, of course, don't follow this in the least.  They state "Be Charitable if you WANT TO!"  As if somehow it's being christ-like to just hate the gays, and not actually help people.  (Because you know, the latter is just too hard)

But if you really think about it, the two are compatible in another way.  Getting into heaven is essentially the same as being born into a rich family.  Either you're born into a family the worships Jesus, or you go to hell for being born into the wrong religion and then not figuring it out yourself.  Born to a Christian family in America?  Congrats!  You have a good shot at getting into heaven.  Born into a Muslim family in the middle east?  Too bad!  Should've thought about that before being born in the middle east.  Born into a Jewish family during the Holocaust!  Do I have bad news for you or what?

Of course the absurdity of such a concept is obvious on it's own.  But I can see the connection.  So I can finally see why Christians are Republicans.  Because God is a Republican.  Punish people for the circumstances of their birth, punish people who don't follow your own twisted sense of morality, and might = right.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: The connection between Christianity and Capitalism
Sure, it was always about the money. Take the case when after St. Francis's death in 1226, his followers who attempted to continue to embrace a life of poverty were burned at the stake as heretics. The Church had no desire to encourage poverty because it had become committed to the financial power structure of Europe.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The connection is that rich capitalist pigs can buy the brand and re-package it however they like!

To wit:  Supply Side Jesus

[Image: geoqu86i0ag01.jpg]
A person could probably draw parallels between the transaction based atonement scheme of vicarious redemption and capitalism gone wrong.  If a person is willing to shout hallelujah at the notion that an unspeakable bargain has been struck that just so happens to benefit them...is it really surprising to find that they also profit from a blood diamond?

In truth, though, it's an effect of christian americana more than anything.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It seems to me Jesus was giving advice based on the world being about to end in the near future, so everyone should shed their posessions in readiness. After him being totally wrong about that (omniscience on the blink), the advice loses merit somewhat.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Rob it would seem that jesus was not the sharpest knife in the drawer!
There is connection between Christianity and slavery, feudalism, capitalism and communism.

The Bible is like a huge box that stores everything that the reader needs/wants
I liked the parts where these old yahoodies tolchock each other and then drink their Hebrew vino, and getting onto the bed with their wives' handmaidens.
All things to all men.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2018 at 6:39 pm)Khemikal Wrote: All things to all men.  Wink

All things to all needy infants. Nothing at all to real men.

(August 1, 2018 at 5:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Rob it would seem that jesus was not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

He does seem confused about who his father was.

(August 1, 2018 at 5:11 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Sure, it was always about the money. Take the case when after St. Francis's death in 1226, his followers who attempted to continue to embrace a life of poverty were burned at the stake as heretics. The Church had no desire to encourage poverty because it had become committed to the financial power structure of Europe.

Churches has every desire to encourage the sort of poverty that comes from giving the Church all your money.

It’s commitment to the financial power structure is only as strong as the fact that people with swords didn’t feel like just giving the Church all their money.
The Church knows all about poverty; it has a vast collection of artworks depicting it.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 3896 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11146 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19320 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10274 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13555 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2790 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 38849 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Black people and christianity rado84 40 6803 February 1, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3161 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The ignorance of science and the big bang in christianity dyresand 10 2244 May 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4