Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell?
Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell?
Having been involved with various religions over the years, I left Catholicism earlier this year. I considered myself a traditional Catholic, attended the traditional Latin Mass and deplored the modern situation in the church. 

However, recently I've been gripped with an increasing fear of being punished in hell due to the fact that I have rejected the faith. Now while it's possible that the current pope doesn't believe in eternal torment in hell but rather that the wicked are annihilated, according to traditional Catholic teaching, the church has infallibly taught that outside the Catholic church there is no salvation. 

I have done extensive reading on criticisms of Christianity and do not think that a God who not only tortures people forever but creates people knowing that most of them will be tortured forever is good. I have read about the history of the Bible and have discovered that there is no historical evidence for the Exodus. 

What is the best way to convince oneself that the Christian faith is not true? Is it to read the history of the early Christian church and the historicity of Jesus? Read about the historical errors in the Bible? Read about the history of the church (the Catholic church claims to be the church started by Jesus and has continued without erring to this day)

I suspect that my current fear of hell may be due to my obsessive-compulsive disorder. I suspect it is this that has led me from religion to religion and caused me extreme scrupulosity in Catholicism (worrying whether certain actions are mortal sins).

How have those here who are ex-Christians (whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox) managed to deal with this problem?
RE: Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell?
Though I am not an ex-*, I'll throw in my two cents just in case. Fear of hell is an irrational fear just like any other common phobias, so it's very hard to get rid of it through rational justifications. I would really suggest finding some actual local atheist groups near you whom you can visit physically. That kind of community support can help a lot compared to online help.

As for understanding why christianity is false, you can start with genesis and it's infantile premise. Once you realize there is no possibility of original sin in our known reality, the rest of the belief system kind of crumbles away on it's own.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

A certain amount of logic or rationality will help a little, but not much.
It's like being heartbroken, it takes a long time to get over it.
I wouldn't worry about it.  By the time you die, the catholics will be letting everybody into heaven.  It's the only way they'll be able to keep asses in seats.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well atheists are just as likely to go to heaven as Christians are to hell so that should help.

If you're afraid of any sort of hell you may as well be afraid of an evil God that sends 100% of the population to hell regardless of their behavior.
I was raised by a mother who felt the need to indoctrinate me into whatever religion her "current" husband was into at the time. My birth father was a catholic. My first stepfather was a methodist. Second stepfather was catholic. The third one wasn't a practicing religious person so he just goes to midnight mass once a year with my mother, if she still bothers to go. I don't know because I haven't spoken to her for nearly 8 years.

That being said, the way I view hell is like this: I don't believe that any god or gods exist because I have seen zero physical evidence of such an entity. The place called "heaven" is non-existent and follows my lack of belief in a god. Hell is the same principle. To me, there is just no real reason to accept that a place filled with fire and brimstone could possibly exist, so it's not something I worry about.

The problem with the Abrahamic religions is that they teach the fear that if you don't love their father god, he will send you to hell. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but don't you think it falls along the lines of mental abuse to subject an individual to the belief that if they don't obey and give their loyalty and love to an entity they will never lay their eyes on, that they will end up burning forever in a place that's never been proven to exist? BUT, at the same time, GOD LOVES THEM.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 17, 2017 at 4:43 am)KiwiNFLFan Wrote: Having been involved with various religions over the years, I left Catholicism earlier this year. I considered myself a traditional Catholic, attended the traditional Latin Mass and deplored the modern situation in the church. 

However, recently I've been gripped with an increasing fear of being punished in hell due to the fact that I have rejected the faith. Now while it's possible that the current pope doesn't believe in eternal torment in hell but rather that the wicked are annihilated, according to traditional Catholic teaching, the church has infallibly taught that outside the Catholic church there is no salvation. 

I have done extensive reading on criticisms of Christianity and do not think that a God who not only tortures people forever but creates people knowing that most of them will be tortured forever is good. I have read about the history of the Bible and have discovered that there is no historical evidence for the Exodus. 

What is the best way to convince oneself that the Christian faith is not true? Is it to read the history of the early Christian church and the historicity of Jesus? Read about the historical errors in the Bible? Read about the history of the church (the Catholic church claims to be the church started by Jesus and has continued without erring to this day)

I suspect that my current fear of hell may be due to my obsessive-compulsive disorder. I suspect it is this that has led me from religion to religion and caused me extreme scrupulosity in Catholicism (worrying whether certain actions are mortal sins).

How have those here who are ex-Christians (whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox) managed to deal with this problem?

What you are describing is your quest to support your confirmation bias--not a quest to get to the truth. How about you read how Christianity answers the questions you pose? Christianity has been answering the very toughest questions for two thousand years by tens of thousands of people writing hundreds of thousands of books in hundreds of languages. It is important to realize, there are no new objections to Christianity that this generation stumbled upon.

You specifically mentioned the problem of evil. That has an answer. Broaden you scope beyond the Catholic Church--perhaps your objections to certain doctrines are answered by different thoughts on the matter.
(November 17, 2017 at 7:25 am)SteveII Wrote: What you are describing is your quest to support your confirmation bias--not a quest to get to the truth. How about you read how Christianity answers the questions you pose? Christianity has been answering the very toughest questions for two thousand years by tens of thousands of people writing hundreds of thousands of books in hundreds of languages. It is important to realize, there are no new objections to Christianity that this generation stumbled upon.

You specifically mentioned the problem of evil. That has an answer. Broaden you scope beyond the Catholic Church--perhaps your objections to certain doctrines are answered by different thoughts on the matter.

When your "quest for truth" begins and ends within the confines of the very book you are trying to test, it is the height of confirmation-bias
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(November 17, 2017 at 7:28 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(November 17, 2017 at 7:25 am)SteveII Wrote: What you are describing is your quest to support your confirmation bias--not a quest to get to the truth. How about you read how Christianity answers the questions you pose? Christianity has been answering the very toughest questions for two thousand years by tens of thousands of people writing hundreds of thousands of books in hundreds of languages. It is important to realize, there are no new objections to Christianity that this generation stumbled upon.

When your "quest for truth" begins and ends within the confines of the very book you are trying to test, it is the height of confirmation-bias

Well, no. Confirmation bias is interpreting things to agree with existing beliefs. His knowledge of the Bible and doctrines that would answer many of his questions is limited. Seeking knowledge (true or not) that you don't have is definitely not confirmation bias.
My story is kind of complicated. My family members are moderates, they don't believe in Hell, they practice religion for comfort, but I was taught in school religion the fundamentalist way. I believed in Hell untill 7th grade, then I spoked once with a friend for my father and he told me that a loving God wouldn't torure you in Hell, no matter what you did. He also opened my eyes about many things which didn't make sense about the faith. He wasn't atheist, he was moderate, he told me that he believed in Jesus. I didn't became atheist at that time, I became moderate too. I accepted the idea of no Hell quite quick, I didn't fear that it might exist. What I had a problem with was that I was brainwashed for so many years and that my parents might've believed in Hell. I found out one year later that they don't believe in Hell either. As how I became an atheist, that is another story. A story linked to this, but still another story. As years passed I got more curious and found more and more things that make no sense about the faith, so I've finally left it.
The fact that I was brainwashed still bugs me from time to time, but what bugs me even more is that it happened right under my parents noses and they didn't seem socked when they found out about it. Not enough shocked at the very least.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12945 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2921 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9062 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6449 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7781 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18375 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22889 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27689 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Can a Chrisitan lose his/her salvation? Jehanne 130 30852 July 26, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19024 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer