Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aziz Ansari Doesn't Pick Up On "Non-Verbal Cues" and Gets Treated Like A Rapist
RE: Aziz Ansari Doesn't Pick Up On "Non-Verbal Cues" and Gets Treated Like A Rapist
(January 22, 2018 at 2:54 am)Shell B Wrote: Well, whoever he’s pissed at, we’ve been told not to flame each other and I’ve ignored him entirely until the last post to reiterate our no-talky policy. It really should stay in place.

As for Thena, I really ought to do the same thing. I let myself get the better of myself when she shittalked. Imma try harder. No more eating bait.

Fact is, you simply have NOT been flamed by me at any point within this thread, Shell. 
Nor by Thump or anyone else, as far as I can tell. 

This notion that simply addressing you on occasion and making any effort to question or dispute talking points in a manner that is well within the confines of the rules as somehow being worthy of reporting and/or punitive action could easily be construed as an effort to throw your weight around and control the discussion.

It's difficult to take your protests to the contrary seriously, when you keep saying things like this.
Just saying.

And if I remember correctly, the "no-talky policy" wasn't so much of an actual policy, as it was your own personal decree anyhow.

(January 22, 2018 at 4:14 am)Joods Wrote: I don't know what the fuck your deal is, but if you keep doing this, you're going to continue losing the respect of other people here. I don't know about you, but to me, that doesn't seem like a smart road to drive down . 

Okay, that statement was a tad cringey. 
Kinda rings of "One of us, one of us, one of us..." 

Confused 
RE: Aziz Ansari Doesn't Pick Up On "Non-Verbal Cues" and Gets Treated Like A Rapist
(January 22, 2018 at 1:53 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 22, 2018 at 1:42 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You just said, whether or not the story depicts an actual criminal act is arguable. I don't see how your take on all this is so far off from ours.

I've never said his acts were clearly criminal at any point in this thread. I'm open to evidence, and also open to exculpation.

My point here is that survivors here of sexual assault are levying the same arguments against Grace that very much hurt themselves. They are dismissing her out of hand even as he has not argued the facts, facts which seem to fit New York state's legal definition of "forcible touching". "She didn't report it", it must not have happened.

Oh, hey, there's this too:

(October 13, 2016 at 1:01 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Of course I don't know for sure that all 50 were telling the truth.  Of COURSE some women lie about being assaulted.  For lots of reasons, including the ones you just mentioned.  And it's despicable.  But I was never talking about SOL's.  What I have been objecting to this whole time is your insane allegation that every single woman who does not report her assault is a liar, and wasn't assaulted, lol.

Whoa, Thump.  Let’s be carful about who we’re attributing what to, here. I never pointed to who she told, or why she told them as a reason to believe or not believe her story.  All I did was clarify what I thought Joods was saying, so that she wouldn’t be misunderstood.  My conclusions in this specific case are based on her account of the events that took place, not based on the way she reported it. What’s with the straw?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
What Joods means is that she's not going to deem this guy guilty of sexual assault when, 1. The story Grace gave doesn't depict sexual assault, and 2. This guy hasn't even been turned into police (as far as we know) where he may be proven guilty. Until then, assuming innocence on his part makes sense, that's Joods point.

I also wanna add that we stop using Joods rape against her in argument. As we all know, it's a very painful and traumatic thing for anyone to go through. Having sensitive personal issues thrown back in the person's face for the sake of argument is just out of line. I've had it done to me here as well (not in this thread) and it's really not cool. We can talk without getting personal and resorting to that.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Never said you flamed me, Thena. Get hold of yourself.
(January 22, 2018 at 10:45 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: What Joods means is that she's not going to deem this guy guilty of sexual assault when, 1. The story Grace gave doesn't depict sexual assault

I don't think it's fair of you to make this statement. 

I know I am repeating myself, but it really makes me bristle. I understand that you feel it's ethically wrong of her to go to the press with this information and I can't disagree with that. But I think it's ethically wrong to make this judgment about her story. 

Besides, I do not agree that what she depicts is not sexual assault. It could very well be given her description.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Thump, why can’t you just not respond to me? Why do you have to continue this shit even though we’ve been told to stop it before? I’ve happily ignored you. I can’t understand why you seem incapable of that. Yes, I will talk to staff about it if it continues because it’s contjnuing to derail threads, the common theme in all of them being you, your girlfriend and me. You can’t seem to stay out of it if Thena picks a fight with me (go back and see who’s on first), so I’ll just ignore her too. Think you grownups can do the same or are you just here to disrupt?

“If I remember correctly, the "no-talky policy" wasn't so much of an actual policy, as it was your own personal decree anyhow“

We were told to stop flaming each other in two separate threads. It warrants a change in behavior. If you could respond to my posts without snark, I wouldn’t consider it continued flaming, but you can’t, so just stop so we don’t keep doing this to decent threads.
(January 22, 2018 at 11:31 am)Mermaid Wrote:
(January 22, 2018 at 10:45 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: What Joods means is that she's not going to deem this guy guilty of sexual assault when, 1. The story Grace gave doesn't depict sexual assault

I don't think it's fair of you to make this statement. 

I know I am repeating myself, but it really makes me bristle. I understand that you feel it's ethically wrong of her to go to the press with this information and I can't disagree with that. But I think it's ethically wrong to make this judgment about her story. 

Besides, I do not agree that what she depicts is not sexual assault. It could very well be given her description.

Unless she's leaving some important details out of the story, the story itself, as it was told, isn't one that depicts a sexual assault imho. I guess on that we will just have to agree to disagree.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Just going to say I still never read the original link and have no interest in picking a winner between the original disputants, nor the members here who support each side.  I'm not fond of this sort of argument where the people who disagree must find some failure in the words or character of the person on the other side.  I don't like it when I get drawn into such a situation and I don't like watching when other do.  So I'm just skipping past the posts that go that way.  Not that I don't care about the folks on both sides because I do, but I'd rather not see either side provoked or provoking.
(January 22, 2018 at 11:33 am)Shell B Wrote: Thump, why can’t you just not respond to me? Why do you have to continue this shit even though we’ve been told to stop it before? I’ve happily ignored you. I can’t understand why you seem incapable of that. Yes, I will talk to staff about it if it continues because it’s contjnuing to derail threads, the common theme in all of them being you, your girlfriend and me. You can’t seem to stay out of it if Thena picks a fight with me (go back and see who’s on first), so I’ll just ignore her too. Think you grownups can do the same or are you just here to disrupt?

“If I remember correctly, the "no-talky policy" wasn't so much of an actual policy, as it was your own personal decree anyhow“

We were told to stop flaming each other in two separate threads. It warrants a change in behavior. If you could respond to my posts without snark, I wouldn’t consider it continued flaming, but you can’t, so just stop so we don’t keep doing this to decent threads.

But Thump hasn't flamed you here, Shell. And I've actually changed my behavior quite successfully.

I've been calm, refrained from using any profanity or derogatory insults in my posts directed towards you, and have kept my responses on topic...with addressing your continuous threats to report me and have "action taken" against me for no reason being the only aside.

I haven't even bothered to address the empty name-calling and gratuitous insults you've hurled at me in this thread. 
Or the the demands that I "shut up".

It appears that what you really want is the ability to push/promote your more disturbing views in this forum without having them challenged in any meaningful way. If that does happen to be the case, then I can't help you Shell.

Not in good conscience.
"with addressing your continuous threats to report me and have "action taken" against me for no reason being the only aside."

I haven't done anything of that sort in this thread, Thena. You even put quotes around "action taken," which I've literally never said to either of you. Thump has been the only one I've told specifically that I would report for flaming because, quite frankly, he's been flaming me. This is the problem. You wildly misrepresent our interactions. We can't have logical discussions if you're going to pretend that you've been level-headed just because you didn't swear. I told you to shut up because you were being very rude. Moreover, I have not used "gratuitous insults" in this thread toward you.

I simply refuse to have you and your oldmanfriend continue to pretend things have happened that never did, continue to derail every thread you disagree with me in and act as if I'm here to "promote my more disturbing views." I've repeatedly asked that you simply ignore me. It's not that difficult. You don't have to talk to me, and, since the three of us seem unable to have civil discourse, there seems no reason for you to respond to any of my posts other than to bait me. Yes, I've said that I will ask the staff to help the situation if it warrants it. Why wouldn't I?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  45 gets 34... Ravenshire 56 2772 June 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 1119 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  It doesn't matter what you think Pope. Brian37 21 1766 April 5, 2021 at 9:26 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 2264 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 1250 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Border Control Gets Bipartisan Support onlinebiker 20 1846 August 6, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Thumbs Up Last Non-winter onlinebiker 110 6440 April 6, 2020 at 4:12 am
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 858 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  MAGA "Tough Guy " Gets His Clock Cleaned By Immigrant In The UFC The Architect Of Fate 28 3230 December 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm
  Bus Driver who raped 14-year old gets no Jail TIme Divinity 4 664 April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Jackalope