Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Non-winter
Thumbs Up 
Last Non-winter
I really have a hard time categorizing the last season as winter.

We only cleared the driveway twice - and only really needed to do it once.

I can remember years here in Michigan where we would have to do it TWICE in one day.

I know one season doesn't indicate a change in climate - but my last 20+ years of records from making syrup show an earlier season each year. (You tap trees when it's above freezing during the day and below freezing at night).

I just don't see how anyone can not see the change.
RE: Last Non-winter
It's not an issue of not seeing it, they just don't trust their lying eyes when that conflicts with the known peddlers of ultimate truth over at Fox.

It's not that people are dumb, it's not a personal issue at all - it's that propaganda works.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Inconvenient truths are easily ignored.
People should start behaving responsibly and use recycled fuel in their vehicles, and also demand airline companies and ships use recycled fuel because that would significantly reduce the carbon pollution and remove toxic gases from air

Video

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(April 2, 2020 at 1:03 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: People should start behaving responsibly and use recycled fuel in their vehicles, and also demand airline companies and ships use recycled fuel because that would significantly  reduce the carbon pollution and remove toxic gases from air

Video

Ummm. 

I'm not buying it.

Where exactly are you going to get the energy to make this "zero carbon footprint" fuel?

Do not answer "renewables".

Tell me WHERE the energy will come from. From which generating plant. Be specific.
Quote:Recycled fuel is fuel made of residues as CO2 produced by using a primary fuel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycled_fuel

Bit of a stub. The energy comes from the same place that the primary fuels energy comes from. It's an attempt to capture loss, which happens to be made up of atmospheric pollution. IDK who says it has no carbon footprint, but whatever carbon footprint it has would already be in the atmosphere, for example, anyway.

We generally use fuel to produce more fuel, if that's what you mean by where we get the energy to get it? Doesn't really matter which specific generating plant is consuming the fuel to produce that power.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 2, 2020 at 2:43 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
Quote:Recycled fuel is fuel made of residues as CO2 produced by using a primary fuel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycle d_fuel

Bit of a stub.  The energy comes from the same place that the primary fuels energy comes from.  It's an attempt to capture loss, which happens to be made up of atmospheric pollution.  IDK who says it has no carbon footprint, but whatever carbon footprint it has would already be in the atmosphere, for example, anyway.  

We generally use fuel to produce more fuel, if that's what you mean by where we get the energy to get it?  Doesn't really matter which specific generating plant is consuming the fuel to produce that power.

You just said a whole lot of nothing - without answering the question.

There is no free lunch. You can't make a fuel without a souce of energy. There are only three sources of energy available to us. Solar, nuclear and gravitational.

Fossil fuels are solar energy - converted by plants millenia ago. 

To make a fuel from scratch as it were will take more energy from one of those sources than burning that fuel will deliver. So where is that energy going to come from? Ready for more nuke plants?

Solar from photovoltaics is a sum loss. You cannot get the energy out of them that it takes to create them. 

Hydroelectric is efficient (and also solar energy) but nobody wants the enviromental impact (NIMBYISM) that goes with damming up rivers.

Windpower (also solar) is good too - but nobody wants the windmills in their neighborhood. (more NIMBYISM).

Gravitational power is limited. The only real tapping of this is in a few fjiords. Tidal action running turbines - a dam that puts out in two different directions. Reliable but limited.
You'd be surprised. For instance there are windmills today that produce enough electricity for one average home for one day with only one revolution of a propeller. And while you are dismissing non fossil fuel energy, UK and are some other countries are going completely green in few years.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Recycled energy comes from energy already produced. Re-cycle
And the knock is that we'll have to reduce imports from countries that aren't going carbon neutral.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 358 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 722 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The last US military planes have left Afghanistan, marking the USA longest war. WinterHold 22 1582 August 31, 2021 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Intimidation and defamation. Last desperate act. Brian37 16 1700 January 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 741 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Non-discrimination for atheists Dr H 33 4358 February 26, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  5 suspicious packages found in the last 24 hours Joods 188 12988 October 29, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Saudi Reporter's last column. Free speech.... Brian37 9 964 October 20, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman 'would not last two weeks' without US support WinterHold 2 485 October 7, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Non-religious countries experience greater economic growth Foxaèr 1 319 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist