Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
RE: IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help?
(October 13, 2018 at 7:16 pm)CarveTheFive Wrote: I’m 50.

I think the OP is better off accepting some sort of intellectual compromise instead of going through a bunch of existential angst at this point. WTF if you’re uncomfortable with atheism fuck it. It’s not like my disbelief does me any fucking good.

In Denial of Death Becker breaks down Kierkegaard to something like believing stupid shit is simply better and easier for most people.

Maybe the OP could just be like well this shit doesn’t make sense but whatever god is beyond our understanding. I trust in a loving god and I’m going to heaven. Easy peezy. Billions do it, in fact. Give the ol noodle a break

Ab- if you think I’m a closet theist I’m not

I just started re-reading this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything, and it appears I missed your post. 

Regarding "if you're uncomfortable with atheism fuck it:" You can't force belief in something when you're losing that belief. I can't help the existential angst; it's apparently part of the process. 

Added Denial of Death to my reading list. I can't believe the stupid shit any longer. Yes, I'm having issues during the deconversion process, but I am stubborn and a questioner. I think I'm pretty intellectually honest, and I can't just somehow fake a belief in god when there are so many things wrong with the holy books, beliefs, and conduct of believers.
I said to the sun, tell me about the Big Bang.
The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'

~Andrea Gibson
(November 12, 2018 at 10:54 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(November 12, 2018 at 10:15 pm)Grandizer Wrote: I know you don't believe in the Trinity, Huggy, but what difference does it make if they were baptized in the name of Jesus or in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

Paul seemed to think how one was baptized mattered, even telling those who were baptized by John the Baptist to be re-baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

So how would you address that baptism verse in Matthew 28 then?
(November 11, 2018 at 2:30 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(November 9, 2018 at 2:07 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: You never know - just try it!

What about crack cocaine?  Should we give that a fair try too?

Probably less damaging to the mind than whatever woo it is that MK is espousing.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(November 12, 2018 at 11:53 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(November 12, 2018 at 10:54 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Paul seemed to think how one was baptized mattered, even telling those who were baptized by John the Baptist to be re-baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

So how would you address that baptism verse in Matthew 28 then?

Jesus plainly stated to baptize in the NAME on the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Father is NOT a name.

Son is NOT a name.

Holy Spirit is NOT a name.

However the disciples clearly baptized in the NAME on Jesus Christ, showing that all of those TITLES belonged to one NAME.

Father = God above us

Son = God with us

Holy Spirit = God in us

It's the same God in different offices.
God in orifices. Is that what some men call their pen0rs?
(November 13, 2018 at 1:43 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(November 12, 2018 at 11:53 pm)Grandizer Wrote: So how would you address that baptism verse in Matthew 28 then?

Jesus plainly stated to baptize in the NAME on the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Father is NOT a name.

Son is NOT a name.

However the disciples clearly baptized in the NAME on Jesus Christ, showing that all of those TITLES belonged to one NAME.

Father = God above us

Son = God with us

Holy Spirit = God in us

You're arguing with "Matthew" then. Because according to "Matthew", Jesus commanded his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
(November 13, 2018 at 2:38 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(November 13, 2018 at 1:43 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Jesus plainly stated to baptize in the NAME on the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Father is NOT a name.

Son is NOT a name.

Father = God above us

Son = God with us

Holy Spirit = God in us

You're arguing with "Matthew" then. Because according to "Matthew", Jesus commanded his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Exactly! That's why the disciples used the NAME Jesus Christ.

You can't find anywhere in the bible where the disciples baptized using the titles of father, son, and holy spirit.
(November 13, 2018 at 4:29 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(November 13, 2018 at 2:38 am)Grandizer Wrote: You're arguing with "Matthew" then. Because according to "Matthew", Jesus commanded his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Exactly! That's why the disciples used the NAME Jesus Christ.

You can't find anywhere in the bible where the disciples baptized  using the titles of father, son, and holy spirit.

No Evangelical group I'm aware of does baptism in terms of titles, so I'm really not sure what your issue is exactly, if you're actually ok with the wording in Matthew.

I mean, I get it, you're of the Oneness type, and you firmly believe baptism should be in the name of Jesus, but that Matthew passage is literally what many Christians follow. It's not like they came up with this out of the blue.
(November 12, 2018 at 4:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(November 12, 2018 at 2:06 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: Really? Great. I can sin my butt off and simply repent on my death bed and I am all good, right?

According to the scripture,  if you had the Holy Spirit you could sin all you want and wouldn't  even have to repent,  it clearly states you're sealed till the day of your redemption.

Well, since I was baptised in jesus christ 50 years ago, and I can repent on my death bed and be saved it looks like I have all the bases covered.

What reason do I have to act morally at all?
(November 13, 2018 at 7:06 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(November 12, 2018 at 4:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: According to the scripture,  if you had the Holy Spirit you could sin all you want and wouldn't  even have to repent,  it clearly states you're sealed till the day of your redemption.

Well, since I was baptised in jesus christ 50 years ago, and I can repent on my death bed and be saved it looks like I have all the bases covered.

What reason do I have to act morally at all?

What? were you baptized as a baby?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? Astonished 67 10877 July 20, 2023 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Husband Deconverted!! mlmooney89 39 5266 August 3, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5676 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4658 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What can we do to promote Atheism? How can we unite? shadowninjax 93 37419 November 20, 2013 at 11:08 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists TaraJo 20 8962 February 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: festive1