Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists
Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists
http://www.examiner.com/article/science-...r-own-good

It looks like prejudices people have towards atheists stems from lack of trust. As they start to find out that more and more people around them are atheist, the prejudical attitudes seem to decrease.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists
You may as well go around telling people that your hobby is not collecting stamps. Besides everyone in the world is not believing in someones religion or someones God/s. We're just talking about one more in addition to a very long list. It's not controversial to not be a Jain or a Zoroastrian, no-one would bat an eyelid in your non-belief in those religions. Why it suddenly becomes controversial once you do the exact same thing with Christianity or the Bible I don't know. So that's the religion popular within the geographic area in which you were born but that doesn't suddenly make it anymore true or necessary to believe in than the religions of India or Shinto Japan.
I did a bit of googling to find out if any atheists find Richard Dawkins annoying and here is just one example.

An Atheist's Christmas

Quote:Richard Dawkins, probably the world's most famous , and most annoying atheist.

Besides, if there's anything more annoying than a religious zealot it's an over-zealous atheist.

Here's another atheist's view of a certain type of atheist.

http://helian.net/blog/2012/08/26/morali...-atheists/

Quote:As an atheist, I tend to be annoyed by prominent public moralistic posing by other atheists.

All these people, who refer to themselves as American Atheists, really accomplish with such antics is to reinforce the ideological barriers between their ingroup and the ingroups of their religious opponents.

There were two responses to this blog post.

Quote:1: Yes, the tribal atheists (which I suspect is a minority although a loud one) are very full of themselves, and in complete denial of what their posturing is all about.

2: This is the first rational blog post on Atheism and by an Atheist I have ever encountered. All the ones I had seen before were just some biggoted and irrational blabber full of hatred and unwarranted self-righteousness.

Maybe a lot of atheists refuse to come out because they don't want to be associated with certain atheists whose behaviour they find embarrassing.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Well, basically, what it comes down to is when you ask people what they think of atheists, as a group, they'll spout all kinds of garbage. They'll either believe that we all participate in wild sex orgies or that we want to outlaw religion or some shit like that. Or the'll believe vague stuff about us like that we're un-American, that we're amoral hedonists or any number of other vague, but wrong, beliefs. When we come out as atheist, we can help distill some of those beliefs. I mean, if they think that atheists are immoral but they find someone who does a lo of volunteer work is an atheist, it helps dispel that belief. If someone thinks atheists are un-American finds out all the atheists in the military, his false belief is challenged. Just by being ourselves and openly identifying as atheist we're challenging some negative stereotypes.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Quote:They'll either believe that we all participate in wild sex orgies

Didn't you get your invitation?
The funny thing about atheists who aren't open because they don't want to be associated with prominent atheists who are dicks, is that they are enabling the dicks to be their default representatives.
(January 31, 2013 at 1:10 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The funny thing about atheists who aren't open because they don't want to be associated with prominent atheists who are dicks, is that they are enabling the dicks to be their default representatives.

I'm sorry, but my default representatives are pussies. It's the only explanation.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 31, 2013 at 10:39 am)TaraJo Wrote: http://www.examiner.com/article/science-...r-own-good

It looks like prejudices people have towards atheists stems from lack of trust. As they start to find out that more and more people around them are atheist, the prejudical attitudes seem to decrease.

Although I think "coming out" is a good thing for atheists to do, it can also have some rather serious consequences for the atheist, especially depending on locale. Here in central Florida, the VAST majority of the population is christian fundamentalist (think: Drich), and they view atheists with extreme contempt and prejudice; I speak from experience.

I think we are decades away from any sort of "acceptance" by the ignorant christian community.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
(January 31, 2013 at 12:52 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Just by being ourselves and openly identifying as atheist we're challenging some negative stereotypes.

(January 31, 2013 at 1:10 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The funny thing about atheists who aren't open because they don't want to be associated with prominent atheists who are dicks, is that they are enabling the dicks to be their default representatives.

I agree with both points. I'm in England but my behaviour on the internet can be viewed by people from all over the world. I didn't have to sign up to this forum in order to browse through the topics to see what goes on here.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Re: Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists
"coming out" suggests a release from something oppressive. Always a good idea.

The atheists that openly declare themselves I find to be Dick's of Dawkian proportion.

Pussies can't be like that Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 15744 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1151 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1111 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 6115 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3399 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2802 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1768 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27564 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4170 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3212 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball