Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is atheism a belief?
RE: Is atheism a belief?
(January 5, 2019 at 6:13 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 5, 2019 at 5:58 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: I think god is a mixture of anthropomorphism of concepts, such as love, morality etc, mixed with an attempt to explain stuff without having to really think about them.

That is my definition of god.

You could think something is made of sparkles and fairy dust, but that doesn't mean that's what something is.  There seems to be this underlying conception with nonreligious people that those who believe in God don't think, but in most cases, you would be wrong.

It does appear to be what you believe in though.
You have not even attempted to say how god does all the super special stuff you say nor have you provided evidence.
Sparkles and fairy dust is a good way to describe your beliefs as far as I can tell.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 5, 2019 at 6:37 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 5, 2019 at 6:33 am)Amarok Wrote: So he's still insisting we define god  Dodgy

Observation says otherwise

People will generally see what they want to see.  You are no exception.
Nope . Why would I want to see people as ignorant and unthinking ?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 5, 2019 at 3:47 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Do you believe everything people point out?  That's why you do research.  It someone tells you something, check it out for yourself.

A "dictionary" is an authority for defining terms. 
(December 30, 2018 at 3:11 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: If you won't listen to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, then you surely aren't going to accept my definition for something.

Lets see how M-W dictionary defines dictionary then.  Naughty

Quote:1 : a reference source in print or electronic form containing words usually alphabetically arranged along with information about their forms, pronunciations, functions, etymologies, meanings, and syntactic and idiomatic uses

2 : a reference book listing alphabetically terms or names important to a particular subject or activity along with discussion of their meanings and applications

3 : a reference book listing alphabetically the words of one language and showing their meanings or translations in another language

4 : a computerized list (as of items of data or words) used for reference (as for information retrieval or word processing)
Where does M-W say that dictionaries define anything?

The fact that dictionaries only refer to current usage of words is pretty evident once you consider that dictionaries start including new words/terms or change the *definition* after they acknowledged the new word/term or changed usage already is applied in everyday used by society.
Nobody reads a dictionary to tell him on how to use a word (but Max maybe) but to inform himself about the current consensus of usage. Otoh the *i have an authoritative book* fallacy is pretty common amongst adherents of (abrahamic) religions.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(January 5, 2019 at 6:35 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

I feel a distinct disconnect.

You ask me for how I use/define a term and I give it to you.

Your reply then seems to indicate... I am not sure what.

You then alude to 'Objective meaning' which, I assume, is your reffering back to a dictionary.

You do understand that a dictionary is only 'Objective' in that you can point to a physical book. With pages, printed words in cogent sentences etc.

Now, two dictionaries of the same printing will be identical and so with the same definitions etc.

But two dictionaries from different publications or different editions will not necessarily agree with one another?

Hence, side by side, the two different publications, they would then fit your useage/definition of 'Subjective'. Since they would 'No longer agree' with each other.

Please. Explain to me how my previous post was not objective?

I can (And have) pointed to the academic research from which I've drawn my words/ideas. Said academic research is, by definition, objective.

How do you actually tell or otherwise determin if another person's posted sentence is actually subjective or objective?

Where is your definition of a diety/god in response/reply?

I've shown you mine. Don't you think its polite to show me yours?

I did show you mine.  I'm in agreement with the dictionary.  I believe I used Merriam-Webster, so there ya go.  Here it is again from M-W:

God

1 capitalized: the supreme or ultimate reality: such as

a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
Quote:I did show you mine.  I'm in agreement with the dictionary.  I believe I used , so there ya go.  Here it is again from M-W:

a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
And that tells us dick all
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 5, 2019 at 6:42 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(January 5, 2019 at 3:47 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Do you believe everything people point out?  That's why you do research.  It someone tells you something, check it out for yourself.

A "dictionary" is an authority for defining terms. 
(December 30, 2018 at 3:11 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: If you won't listen to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, then you surely aren't going to accept my definition for something.

Lets see how M-W dictionary defines dictionary then.  Naughty

Quote:1 : a reference source in print or electronic form containing words usually alphabetically arranged along with information about their forms, pronunciations, functions, etymologies, meanings, and syntactic and idiomatic uses

2 : a reference book listing alphabetically terms or names important to a particular subject or activity along with discussion of their meanings and applications

3 : a reference book listing alphabetically the words of one language and showing their meanings or translations in another language

4 : a computerized list (as of items of data or words) used for reference (as for information retrieval or word processing)
Where does M-W say that dictionaries define anything?

The fact that dictionaries only refer to current usage of words is pretty evident once you consider that dictionaries start including new words/terms or change the *definition* after they acknowledged the new word/term or changed usage already is applied in everyday used by society.
Nobody reads a dictionary to [b]tell[/bs] him on how to use a word (but Max maybe) but to inform himself about the current consensus of usage. Otoh the *i have an authoritative book* fallacy is pretty common amongst adherents of (abrahamic) religions.

From M-W homepage:

No other dictionary matches M-W's accuracy and scholarship in defining word meanings. Our pronunciation help, synonyms, usage and grammar tips set the standard. Go beyond dictionary lookups with Word of the Day, facts and observations on language, lookup trends, and wordplay from the editors at Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
(January 5, 2019 at 6:46 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: I did show you mine.  I'm in agreement with the dictionary.  I believe I used Merriam-Webster, so there ya go.  Here it is again from M-W:

God

That is not a definition that is in any way useful.
It has not descriptive or explanatory.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 5, 2019 at 6:51 am)Amarok Wrote:
Quote:I did show you mine.  I'm in agreement with the dictionary.  I believe I used Merriam-Webster, so there ya go.  Here it is again from M-W:

And that tells us dick all

It's a definition.  Seriously, is it really this difficult to understand?

If you ask me to define the animal "cat", I don't need to hand you a book explaining what a cat is.  A short excerpt from a dictionary should do just fine.

Cat

a : a carnivorous mammal (Felis catus) long domesticated as a pet and for catching rats and mice

b : any of a family (Felidae) of carnivorous usually solitary and nocturnal mammals (such as the domestic cat, lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, cougar, wildcat, lynx, and cheetah)

(January 5, 2019 at 6:54 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(January 5, 2019 at 6:46 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: I did show you mine.  I'm in agreement with the dictionary.  I believe I used Merriam-Webster, so there ya go.  Here it is again from M-W:

God

That is not a definition that is in any way useful.
It has not descriptive or explanatory.

Cool.  Anything else?
Quote:the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
By that definition the being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is not worshipped by anybody isnt a god?

So, if being "x" did all this, and is all this, but nobody whorships it, its no god?! Think
I suggest to work a little bit on your definition.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(January 5, 2019 at 7:03 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
Quote:the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
By that definition the being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is not worshipped by anybody isnt a god?

So, if being "x" did all this, and is all this, but nobody whorships it, its no god?!  Think
I suggest to work a little bit on your definition.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6606 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5864 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5361 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 23067 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 163226 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27778 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A loose “theory” of the dynamics of religious belief Bunburryist 6 1701 August 14, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three) Little Rik 3049 380527 April 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 37542 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14952 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor