Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 12:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
(January 21, 2019 at 7:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 21, 2019 at 7:30 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: What gapping hole?

IMO, it was brilliant and very philosophical for an action movie.  The whole movie is a giant moral dilemma.  Is Thanos good or bad?  I mean, he does want the universe to be adequate to everybody, but at the same time, to get it others need to be unwilling sacrifice.  One half wins big, the other half loses everything.  It's all random though, so equal shot at one or the other.  If he doesn't do it, the whole may suffer anyway, but in different ways.

Anyway, just my two cents on it. Looking forward to the sequel.

Ok.  Thanos wants the six Infinity Stones so he can be all-powerful.  Once he is all-powerful, he can eliminate half of all life in the universe.  This will ensure a better standard of living for those things left alive.

Well, if Thanos had enough power to remove that much life, it stands to reason he could have used his power to create sufficient resources for everyone, and not have had to kill anyone at all. If that was his intention, he could have enlisted the Avengers et al to help him recover the stones.  This could have made for just as much action as the film they did make, and would have made a lot more sense. 

And, since Thanos opts to kill trillions instead of creating more resources for them, he's clearly a bad guy.

(The comics have an answer for this, but we're talking strictly about the film)

Boru

How is he going to make more resources?  The infinity stones have limits, and even said to have conscience.  Like the curse it gave the watcher of the soul stone or the warnings that were given to Vision.  Even the reality stone had its limits.  The real world was hidden behind the illusion.  The stones each require mastery, which is indicated throughout the series, included the other Marvel movies.  Thanos got them, but he never mastered them, nor cared to.  All for the wrong reason, which he perceived to be right.
(January 21, 2019 at 7:50 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 21, 2019 at 7:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ok.  Thanos wants the six Infinity Stones so he can be all-powerful.  Once he is all-powerful, he can eliminate half of all life in the universe.  This will ensure a better standard of living for those things left alive.

Well, if Thanos had enough power to remove that much life, it stands to reason he could have used his power to create sufficient resources for everyone, and not have had to kill anyone at all. If that was his intention, he could have enlisted the Avengers et al to help him recover the stones.  This could have made for just as much action as the film they did make, and would have made a lot more sense. 

And, since Thanos opts to kill trillions instead of creating more resources for them, he's clearly a bad guy.

(The comics have an answer for this, but we're talking strictly about the film)

Boru

How is he going to make more resources?  The infinity stones have limits, and even said to have conscience.  Like the curse it gave the watcher of the soul stone or the warnings that were given to Vision.  Even the reality stone had its limits.  The real world was hidden behind the illusion.  The stones each require mastery, which is indicated throughout the series, included the other Marvel movies.  Thanos got them, but he never mastered them, nor cared to.  All for the wrong reason, which he perceived to be right.

The Power stone in conjunction with the other five bestows omnipotence, that's canon.

But seriously, Thanos can wipe out half of all life in the universe with a snap of his fingers.  If he can't channel that same power into increasing resources to a sustainable level, the film should have explained why.  It did, hence 'plot hole'.

Lastly, please consider the comment 'the infinity stones have limits'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I watched The Big Chill...again. I got a new laptop with much better audio than my previous one and I wanted to listen to the great soundtrack. One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I just watched IO on Netflix. Holy hell was that a boring movie. I mean I'm cool with a serious slow-burn flick as long as there's something to it under the surface, but holy fuck that movie was just an hour and a half of fucking nothing. Definitely would not recommend.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(January 21, 2019 at 8:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 21, 2019 at 7:50 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: How is he going to make more resources?  The infinity stones have limits, and even said to have conscience.  Like the curse it gave the watcher of the soul stone or the warnings that were given to Vision.  Even the reality stone had its limits.  The real world was hidden behind the illusion.  The stones each require mastery, which is indicated throughout the series, included the other Marvel movies.  Thanos got them, but he never mastered them, nor cared to.  All for the wrong reason, which he perceived to be right.

The Power stone in conjunction with the other five bestows omnipotence, that's canon.

But seriously, Thanos can wipe out half of all life in the universe with a snap of his fingers.  If he can't channel that same power into increasing resources to a sustainable level, the film should have explained why.  It did, hence 'plot hole'.

Lastly, please consider the comment 'the infinity stones have limits'.

Boru

What are you saying?  Snap into existence a new tractor for everybody and seeds to grow fields all over the universe?

Power is nothing without love.  I think you're missing that his lust for power is becoming his own demise.  That was pretty much the whole theme through Infinity War.  When they loved and were united, they succeeded.  As soon as they drifted from it, things began to slip in favor of Thanos.  As the keeper said, even the soul stone carried an "exacting price."  Thanos loved one thing, and had to trade it for power over what he didn't love.
At work.

Likes 'Infinity War'.

Thanos' madness is well presented/displayed.
Thanos didn't wipe out 1/2 the life in universe. No plants were powdered.

"That's just lazy writing."
(January 21, 2019 at 7:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, if Thanos had enough power to remove that much life, it stands to reason he could have used his power to create sufficient resources for everyone, and not have had to kill anyone at all. If that was his intention, he could have enlisted the Avengers et al to help him recover the stones.  This could have made for just as much action as the film they did make, and would have made a lot more sense. 

Well, to be fair, A) Someone named Thanos is probably not going to be interested in creating new resources, and B) He's clearly been wedded to His preferred solution for a long time, especially since He's put it into practice long enough to raise a girl from a planet whose population He's halved and have her grow old enough to be played by Zoe Saldana (in the film stated to be 20 years.)

Why would having Him suddenly change tactics on a dime after decades of genocide with the prospect of getting the Infinity Stones actually make it less of a plot hole? In the real world, we have people who get ideas about how things operate and, once proven wrong, still go about the world peddling their bullshit.

Case in point: Peter Duesberg was one of the early scientists to study AIDS and he hypothesised that AIDS was caused by either excessive inhalant use or excessive use of anti-retroviral drugs like AZT, and that HIV has nothing to do with it and all those people dying of it in Africa are all misdiagnosed. He was proven utterly wrong, but he still pushes his bullshit, up to and including convincing Thabo Mbeki, second President of South Africa, a country where 1 in 6 Adults (and, by some estimates, 1 in 2 children) are HIV positive, that the consensus on AIDS is bullshit, and that they should do nothing helpful about it, leading to the deaths of a third of a million people.

Seriously, I'm on the autism spectrum and even I'm finding it easy to understand why Thanos doesn't decide to just create more resources with all the ultimate power he has.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 22, 2019 at 1:28 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Thanos didn't wipe out 1/2 the life in universe. No plants were powdered.

I think the plants missing were the main problem.  Planets turning into wastelands.  No crops, but only hungry people competing for minimal resources.

Lazy writing = Aquaman
(January 22, 2019 at 2:51 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 22, 2019 at 1:28 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Thanos didn't wipe out 1/2 the life in universe. No plants were powdered.

I think the plants missing were the main problem.  Planets turning into wastelands.  No crops, but only hungry people competing for minimal resources.

Lazy writing = Aquaman

Thanos used an axe to cure a scalpel problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 574 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3830 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 834 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 606 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 488 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 526 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1731 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2326 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1722 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1810 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer