Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 7:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Thoughts
RE: Random Thoughts
(March 26, 2019 at 7:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Men insult each other and don't really mean it.  Women complement each other and don't really mean it.

This may be the secret of the Universe.

Boru

Worthy of Ambrose Bierce or Dorothy Parker

From Ambrose :  Callous; gifted with great fortitude to bear the evils afflicting another"

From Dorothy:  "If all the debutantes int his room were laid end to end, I wouldn't  be a bit surprised"
Here's a blast from the past from one of my prior forums: I was debating a theist and she was claiming during a debate that actions with a probability above 10^50, something other creationists call Borel's Law, even though it's not really a law. To illustrate this, she said that, if she had a CD and the player was in random/shuffle mode, if it still played in perfect order, the odds would be so negligibly small that one could reasonably say it would never happen. Then, I pointed out the blatant problem with that argument: just because an order seems less random doesn't mean it actually is less random. A hand of cards with the jack of diamonds, the seven of spades, the queen of clubs, the five of hearts, and the ten of diamonds has as much of a chance as a hand of the Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and ten of spades.

To further undermine her argument, I applied that to another CD: The Minutemen's Double Nickels on a Dime.

It has 42 tracks, and if it were played in a shuffle mode, assuming that it worked in such a way that there would be no repeating tracks, the odds that it would play the tracks in their proper order (assuming that such a thing was still possible) would be 1.405x10^51 to one, well within the realms of the impossible according to Borel. So, let's find a random number scrambler, and see a new order. So, here's what I got:
What would be the odds that it hit that exact order? 1.405x10^51 to one. Exactly the same odds as the seemingly less random order.

Anyone else remember debating theists and the worst thing you could expect from them being defending an insanely unpopular war, trying to maintain a dying backlash against gay rights, or stupid shit like that?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I've decided I wouldn't make a good care sales person.

First sale:

Customer, "Cargo space?"

Me, "No. Car go ground. Spaceship go space!"

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(March 31, 2019 at 9:18 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I've decided I wouldn't make a good care sales person.

First sale:

Customer, "Cargo space?"

Me, "No.  Car go ground.  Spaceship go space!"

Actually that still better then some actual cars sales people
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 31, 2019 at 11:42 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(March 31, 2019 at 9:18 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I've decided I wouldn't make a good care sales person.

First sale:

Customer, "Cargo space?"

Actually that still better then some actual cars sales people

edit
Just came by to see ya'll fairing.

First sale:

Customer, "Cargo space?"

Then you have to explain to them why we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway......
good to see you back Kit. How's life? the cat?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If I went back in time and killed Iggy, how could he still be around to respond to this question?

Iggy, one rap for yes, two raps for no.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
I tried staying away, but seriously this forum gets the best theistic trolls.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2756 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 2336 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2696 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2533 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 6568 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 2387 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1342 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1395 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 990 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1241 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous