Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to easily defeat any argument for God
RE: How to easily defeat any argument for God
(August 13, 2019 at 1:21 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(August 13, 2019 at 12:56 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Lol, okay. This is fun. So, I’ll place you in group B then. Everyone in group B, when asked how they know torturing babies is wrong, says: “by using my own eyes.”  Concomitantly, when group A is asked the same question, their answer also is: “by using my own eyes.

Let's make it even funner, by including you in a group C. Group C subscribes to some convoluted moral philosophy, with a list of criteria for what it takes for something to constitute as wrong.

Group B recognizes that torturing innocent babies is wrong, quicker than we recognize your dress is yellow. Group C on the other hand is lagging behind, they didn't recognize it was immediately wrong like group B, but instead had to take it, and submit it into the moral calculators they made, confirm that it meets their particular criteria and measurements, and only then was able to confirm that it was wrong.

Group C is total bullshit of course. Group C is actually a part of Group B. They just attach their standard and criteria after the fact. And then try and fool themselves into thinking that their recognition of wrong is the result of their special criteria.

How can group B know that Group A is wrong? They can just peer a little closer to group A, and realize that they're blind, that they're living in the dark. They're sick, deformed, and mad. Group C is also delusional, but it's more benign.

Lol, have I hit a nerve? 😏

“Blind”, sick”, “deformed”, and “mad” are all subjective descriptions of the people perceiving the act. It tells us nothing objective about the act itself. Group A could make the exact same assertion about group B. You have utterly failed to solve the conflict between these two groups using an objective standard. 

And yeah, ofc I’m in group B. The difference between you and me though, is that I can articulate why I’m there, and you can’t. Or won’t. Acro, if you can’t give me one reason why it’s bad to torture babies, you probably can’t give me any reasons why it’s not. You do realize this is a problem for your position, yes?

Quote:What, exactly, are they being honest with themselves about with regard to the torture of babies, Acro? Is it that thing you don’t wanna say?

Quote:That it's dark, that it's a privation of the light. The wrongness is something seen, more so than said.

I don’t know what that means. Could you be more specific please?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Meh, it hardly matters how much Acro prevaricates and avoids confronting the necessary criteria of realism, or how.

It can’t be any simpler. Realism requires a fact of a matter. If he knows that fact, he can show that fact. If he can’t, he doesn’t know it. He believes it. Beliefs are a description of subjective states.

Functionally, knowing that genocide is wrong and believing that genocide is wrong are equivalent. The same moral system or theory can be built out of beliefs or facts.

If, however, he wants to call his moral system realism, there’s just no way around providing at least one fact of the matter. He’s only arguing against himself by babbling on about honesty. A person can be honestly wrong, but that, too, requires some fact of the matter to be wrong about.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
At this point I’m just trying to figure out if he is cognizant of his errors, or just totally lost.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Totally lost.

The trouble, though, is that his errors have a religious importance to him. He can’t shed them and continue to believe what he does.

About god.
About goodness.
About moral theory.
About atheists.
About himself.

That’s not the kind of knot that comes undone. These are all things he thinks are “really true” hence he must be a realist, and right. Others must be Not Realists™, and wrong, no matter how many times they offer a valid realists appraisal, even as he fails to have -ever- offered a valid realists appraisal.

The closest he’s ever gotten was in calling holocaust god “wrong”, as deleterious as that is to his position on god and goodness.....but I’d entirely certain that he’d find some way to fuck that up, too, if he kept talking about it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If he stopped beginning with his conclusion and actually thought these hypotheticals through honestly, he’d be giving himself a tremendous leg up, lol.

(August 13, 2019 at 1:38 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Meh, it hardly matters how much Acro prevaricates and avoids confronting the necessary criteria of realism, or how.

It can’t be any simpler.  Realism requires a fact of a matter.  If he knows that fact, he can show that fact.  If he can’t, he doesn’t know it.  He believes it.  Beliefs are a description of subjective states.

Both of us recognizes that the holocaust is objectively wrong.

We lay out all the scientific and historical facts associated with it.

What we're not going find to laying among them, issome ethical truth, or an "objective badness" somewhere among the rubble. 

If objective badness and goodness, does exist, which you I acknowledge it does, it's not contained in this,.
What is dark, light will be shed by my trustworty samsung s4. What is fear? Being a dad.

So sayweth, from the pasta school.
Or maybe he is thinking them through honestly, and he’s just honestly dense.

(August 13, 2019 at 2:01 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(August 13, 2019 at 1:38 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Meh, it hardly matters how much Acro prevaricates and avoids confronting the necessary criteria of realism, or how.

It can’t be any simpler.  Realism requires a fact of a matter.  If he knows that fact, he can show that fact.  If he can’t, he doesn’t know it.  He believes it.  Beliefs are a description of subjective states.

Both of us recognizes that the holocaust is objectively wrong.

We lay out all the scientific and historical facts associated with it.

What we're not going find to laying among them, issome ethical truth, or an "objective badness" somewhere among the rubble. 

If objective badness and goodness, does exist, which you I acknowledge it does, it's not contained in this,.

What’s this “we” business? I’m a realist. Realists do find ethical truth in these facts.

That’s what realism means.
(August 13, 2019 at 1:37 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Lol, have I hit a nerve? 😏

No, you seem fairly nice, and I don't get offended easily.

Quote:“Blind”, sick”, “deformed”, and “mad” are all subjective descriptions of the people perceiving the act. It tells us nothing objective about the act itself. Group A could make the exact same assertion about group B. You have utterly failed to solve the conflict between these two groups using an objective standard. 

Okay, then, how would you resolve the conflict between these two groups? By providing some scientific facts about torturing innocent babies?

Quote:And yeah, ofc I’m in group B. The difference between you and me though, is that I can articulate why I’m there, and you can’t. Or won’t. Acro, if you can’t give me one reason why it’s bad to torture babies, you probably can’t give me any reasons why it’s not. You do realize this is a problem for your position, yes?

I can give you all the sorts of reasons that you would give, but unlike you I know that none of those reasons establish it as objectively wrong. Out of all the facts you're likely to present as a defense, among none of those facts are we going to locate an objective badness.

But my all means, have a go at it, and I'll try to demonstrate that reasons you think you're there, are false.
(August 13, 2019 at 2:12 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(August 13, 2019 at 1:37 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Lol, have I hit a nerve? 😏

No, you seem fairly nice, and I don't get offended easily.

Quote:“Blind”, sick”, “deformed”, and “mad” are all subjective descriptions of the people perceiving the act. It tells us nothing objective about the act itself. Group A could make the exact same assertion about group B. You have utterly failed to solve the conflict between these two groups using an objective standard. 

Okay, then, how would you resolve the conflict between these two groups? By providing some scientific facts about torturing innocent babies?

Quote:And yeah, ofc I’m in group B. The difference between you and me though, is that I can articulate why I’m there, and you can’t. Or won’t. Acro, if you can’t give me one reason why it’s bad to torture babies, you probably can’t give me any reasons why it’s not. You do realize this is a problem for your position, yes?

I can give you all the sorts of reasons  that you would give, but unlike you I know that none of those reasons establish it as objectively wrong. Out of all the facts you're likely to present as a defense, among none of those facts are we going to locate an objective badness.

But my all means, have a go at it, and I'll try to demonstrate that reasons you think you're  there, are false.

If you cut off my head, is that objectively bad for me? Yes or no? My answer is yes.

If you torture a baby, is that objectively bad for the baby? Yes or no? My answer is yes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 437 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8884 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 13367 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17294 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 97438 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 31101 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 13071 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 46934 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Moral Argument for God athrock 211 37759 December 24, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A potential argument for existence of God TheMuslim 28 4491 June 18, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Cephus