Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 11:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do cigarettes cost?
RE: What do cigarettes cost?
Doesn't matter/don't care. I don't smoke cigarettes; never did and never will. I'll smoke an occasional cigar, but that's about the biggest risk I take. Even that is a habit I'd like to drop, eventually (we're talking two cigars a year, maybe, which is hardly a habit and more of a personal choice).

Fact is, smokers are going to smoke. And people who won't ever smoke will likely never smoke. If you play the game, don't be surprised when you get burned. That's all.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(September 6, 2019 at 3:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 2:59 pm)bemore Wrote: If the cost is £1,000,000 a lifetime:

1 pack per day (10-20 Cigarettes) over 50 years = £55 per pack.

Would be interesting to do the same for sugar per gram with the rise of diabetes and the massive costs that come with treating it.

The difference being is that there is a safe level for sugar intake.

Boru

Sugar is never actually good for you. No amount of sugar is healthy, but some sugar won't lead to health complications. Is the same not true for tobacco?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(September 6, 2019 at 3:42 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 3:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The difference being is that there is a safe level for sugar intake.

Boru

Sugar is never actually good for you. No amount of sugar is healthy, but some sugar won't lead to health complications. Is the same not true for tobacco?

You can get overweight from sugar - cut back on sugar and lose weight.

Cutting back smokes isn't a great treatment for lung cancer.
(September 6, 2019 at 3:57 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 3:42 pm)Aegon Wrote: Sugar is never actually good for you. No amount of sugar is healthy, but some sugar won't lead to health complications. Is the same not true for tobacco?

You can get overweight from sugar - cut back on sugar and lose weight.

Are we holding the fat people liable for their dietary choices or what
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(September 6, 2019 at 4:03 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 3:57 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: You can get overweight from sugar - cut back on sugar and lose weight.

Are we holding the fat people liable for their dietary choices or what

Smoking is an unneccessary option.

Eating - not so much.
(September 6, 2019 at 3:04 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 1:36 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: I have said several times that I am in favor of a public provided health care system - along with private practice - for those that can afford it.

Here in the US we are still stuck with the insurance company model ( for those lucky enough to have it).

Do you think the smoker should be liable for their health conditions as related to smoking?

Not sure, never really thought about it. Particularly since smoking cigs just isn't that big of a deal in my generation. We're going to have to wait and see what sorts of health complications are caused by vaping over the next 40-50 years!

But on principle I don't think it's fair to make health care services an issue of morality, i.e. you don't deserve the same level of care at affordable prices because we have determined you're an idiot. That sounds messed up.

We’re already starting to see the effects of vaping on people. In the US in the past few months there have been a number of people admitted to hospital for vaping related illnesses along with at least one death.

Overweight people can and do get refused treatment, including cardiac treatment, because of their weight.

Why should smokers be given special treatment?
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 6, 2019 at 5:05 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Why should smokers be given special treatment?

Because a world without tobacco is an improvement.

A world without food?

See the difference?
0$ Cigarettes are harmless.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(September 6, 2019 at 7:10 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: 0$ Cigarettes are harmless.

True.

Smoking them is a different matter.

Razz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That' s What They Cost!! onlinebiker 12 1760 February 11, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Join My New Blog. won't Cost You Nothing. Rhondazvous 33 3694 May 16, 2016 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Cost of living, OP/ED........ Brian37 20 3052 February 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Electronic Cigarettes Paul the Human 17 4737 April 29, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biting article about the true cost of being open-minded. Rhizomorph13 2 1535 March 1, 2011 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Zen Badger