Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is eating hunted meat ethical?
RE: Is eating hunted meat ethical?
Curious how you would pick out the ones destined for a miserable death as opposed to the ones who were going to live a happy carefree life to die at a nice ripe old age? Not that I think eating meat is unethical quite to opposite all living things consume other living things to keep being living things themselves. To me it seems the only issue is why you killed an animal. If you kill it for fun and eat the meat in an attempt to justify your actions you have still killed for pleasure the eating doesn’t change that fact. So is killing for pleasure ethical? Whether it’s a horse fly or a horse I don’t see how it could be.
Seems like the ethics in that q are bound up more in the way you frame it, than the specifics of killing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: pic1157409.jpg]
I hunted through my freezer for bacon this morning.

Is that ethical?

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(November 29, 2019 at 6:37 am)Apathyst Wrote: Curious how you would pick out the ones destined for a miserable death as opposed to the ones who were going to live a happy carefree life to die at a nice ripe old age? Not that I think eating meat is unethical quite to opposite all living things consume other living things to keep being living things themselves. To me it seems the only issue is why you killed an animal. If you kill it for fun and eat the meat in an attempt to justify your actions you have still killed for pleasure the eating doesn’t change that fact. So is killing for pleasure ethical? Whether it’s a horse fly or a horse I don’t see how it could be.

I'm not entirely convinced that killing an animal for pleasure is necessarily unethical.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
I wouldn't just plain old poison them.

[Image: os-martires-cristaos-dada-aos-leoes-no-c...jnd2f0.jpg]
(November 29, 2019 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not entirely convinced that killing an animal for pleasure is necessarily unethical.

Boru

Fair enough, I’m not entirely sure myself. Would you settle for “It seems distasteful to me to some degree?”
(November 29, 2019 at 3:39 pm)Apathyst Wrote:
(November 29, 2019 at 2:41 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not entirely convinced that killing an animal for pleasure is necessarily unethical.

Boru

Fair enough, I’m not entirely sure myself. Would you settle for “It seems distasteful to me to some degree?”

Of course.  I'll 'settle' for anything you like (I'm nothing if not accommodating).

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
While death, destruction, and violence comprise a sizeable portion of the beautiful and tumultuous circle of life and my view of this, matters not in the overall grand scheme of it all, I do not consider killing just because you can, the hallmark of a true understanding and intelligent creature.
(November 29, 2019 at 5:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 29, 2019 at 3:39 pm)Apathyst Wrote: Fair enough, I’m not entirely sure myself. Would you settle for “It seems distasteful to me to some degree?”

Of course.  I'll 'settle' for anything you like (I'm nothing if not accommodating).

Boru

That’s not what you said during the strap on incident...

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picking your nose and eating it yes/no Duty 7 500 March 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Duty
  Vegans & meat grown in a lab Rahn127 51 3240 November 7, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Dr H