Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 3:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search for Causes
RE: Search for Causes
(January 3, 2020 at 12:57 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(December 30, 2019 at 10:54 pm)Lek Wrote: If I had advanced stage cancer and it suddenly disappeared or went into remission, how could it be proven to be from natural, rather than supernatural causes?

If natural science was unable to determine the cause, what method could I use to determine if the origin or cause of these was supernatural? Should I pursue other avenues or rely on science to eventually come up with an answer?

Everything is explainable. Literally, everything. Just because you or I can't immediately explain it doesn't mean it doesn't have one. Why? Because everything ever is explainable. Every. Thing. Ever. As an average human being, it's up to you to humble yourself enough to accept that reality, not make shit up.

This harks back to an older conversation we had about ego. This is another prime example of your egotistical thinking.

How do you know everything is explainable since we can't explain everything? That's strictly your belief. You can't prove it at all.
Once again Einstein, just because people with pathetically limited minds can not understand the science behind something, doesn't mean the science can't explain it.

The captain of your brain ship has for too long been high on magic, time to check that fucker into rehab.
Quote:How do you know everything is explainable since we can't explain everything? That's strictly your belief. You can't prove it at all.
Not knowing everything does invalidate his statement
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(January 3, 2020 at 1:22 pm)Lek Wrote: How do you know everything is explainable since we can't explain everything?  That's strictly your belief. You can't prove it at all.

At worst, it's a belief you share.

If we assume that there actually is some inexplicable x - then this x would not be explicable by reference to a god, either.  That's what it means to be inexplicable.

Do you believe in the existence of x's like that? Things that nothing, not even a god, could explain? Do you object, even, to the notion that we have reason to posit as much? Not that the world is known, but that the world at least can be known? Do you fully understand the consequences of either objection, if you wanted to commit to either? Have you studied this, prayed on it..or..perhaps, received some enlightenment?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 3, 2020 at 1:16 pm)Lek Wrote: This doesn't mean that once we believe then we manufacture his presence.  It means that we need to know what we're looking for or we miss it.

What exactly are we looking for  ?
And how do we test it's not manufactured ?
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(January 3, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(January 2, 2020 at 6:45 pm)Lek Wrote: Well, I have had "dark nights of the soul" and I have considered atheism.  Honestly, I would have to forcefully cast off what I believe to be true in order to become one.  I also see atheism as too limiting.  I prefer to be open to all possibilities, which has allowed me to experience God more fully.

There is nothing about atheism that precludes in being open to possibilities.

Atheism is just not being convinced that gods exist.

I am completely open to being convinced that a god exists.

You're one of the few atheists I have encountered in this forum who truly seems to be open to the existence of God and/or the supernatural.  It's my personal opinion that you'll find what you're looking for.

(January 3, 2020 at 2:34 pm)possibletarian Wrote:
(January 3, 2020 at 1:16 pm)Lek Wrote: This doesn't mean that once we believe then we manufacture his presence.  It means that we need to know what we're looking for or we miss it.

What exactly are we looking for  ?
And how do we test it's not manufactured ?

We're all looking for ultimate meaning, but we put boundaries up that limit our ability to find it. Despite the experiences of others we rufuse to consider anything we can't see or touch.
Who puts boundaries on that meaning? As far as I can see, you're the only person in this thread who insists that it can only be one thing.

Food for thought.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 3, 2020 at 1:22 pm)Lek Wrote:
(January 3, 2020 at 12:57 pm)Aegon Wrote: Everything is explainable. Literally, everything. Just because you or I can't immediately explain it doesn't mean it doesn't have one. Why? Because everything ever is explainable. Every. Thing. Ever. As an average human being, it's up to you to humble yourself enough to accept that reality, not make shit up.

This harks back to an older conversation we had about ego. This is another prime example of your egotistical thinking.

How do you know everything is explainable since we can't explain everything? That's strictly your belief. You can't prove it at all.

Think of all the crap we couldn't explain, then could explain a few hundred years later. What compelling reason do I have to think anything is different?

Also, the reasons that things happen arent dependent on human ability to explain them. That's my point. When you dont know why, assume theres a reason, and admit you dont know it. The end. Making up another explanation because it makes sense to you (God) is the opposite of what you should do.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(January 3, 2020 at 4:58 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Who puts boundaries on that meaning?  As far as I can see, you're the only person in this thread who insists that it can only be one thing.

Food for thought.

You guys are always telling me that the supernatural doesn't exist.  How can you be open to something that you've already decided doesn't exist?  I never said that spontaneous remission had a supernatural cause.  I think it very well could and I asked what you thought.  Not one atheist even admitted that it could possibly have a supernatural cause.  In fact, pretty much all I got was derision for even considering it, calling it "magic" or whatever.  There was no openness to the idea at all.  Rather than say it could be supernatural, you'd say "we don't know, but we'll find out someday."  There's a boundary there that separates you from considering any supernatural explanation.  If I said anywhere that it had to be supernatural you'll have to show me.

(January 3, 2020 at 6:34 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(January 3, 2020 at 1:22 pm)Lek Wrote: How do you know everything is explainable since we can't explain everything?  That's strictly your belief. You can't prove it at all.

Think of all the crap we couldn't explain, then could explain a few hundred years later. What compelling reason do I have to think anything is different?

Also, the reasons that things happen arent dependent on human ability to explain them. That's my point. When you dont know why, assume theres a reason, and admit you dont know it. The end. Making up another explanation because it makes sense to you (God) is the opposite of what you should do.

Not true.  If billions of sane people attest to something, even in light of modern day science, it's worth serious consideration.
Sure, we're always telling you that the supernatural doesn;t exist...because it's a conceptual failure. Just as it's your own failure that you take that to mean that whatever you might put in the supernatural category must be automatically ruled out in light of that failure.

I've explicitly told you otherwise more than once.

Is this something that you struggle with in your faith? Owning the contents of your own beliefs, and the limitations you deign to put on whatever it is you worship? Have you prayed on it? Studied it? Is this an area in which you've received any enlightenment?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence and causes for doubt LadyForCamus 43 8041 March 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Job search in the medical field Kitty Galore 12 4085 May 3, 2015 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb