Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 5:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search for Causes
RE: Search for Causes
We never will. He doesn't believe in it. It's an evasive weasel word.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
@Lek

If god is natural; as natural as a tree, or my left foot; and if he can interact with the rest of the natural world of which he is a part, then wouldn’t you agree that the effects of his actions and interactions with the world should be as detectable by scientific means as anything else? If a redwood falls on my left foot, would there be physical evidence of that event?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(January 4, 2020 at 3:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @Lek

If god is natural; as natural as a tree, or my left foot; and if he can interact with the rest of the natural world of which he is a part, then wouldn’t you agree that the effects of his actions and interactions with the world should be as detectable by scientific means as anything else? If a redwood falls on my left foot, would there be physical evidence of that event?

Yes. If he only interacted by natural means it would. But he doesn't.

You are all understating the significance of the majority of humankind believing in God. This even applies to modern times when people are educated in modern science. I mean we know that the earth is not flat and it revolves around the sun. Ninety-nine percent of these believers are totally sane. If God communicates with us through supernatural means, we would know what he communicated, which we do. I've pretty much said all I have to say in that regard. As long as you live within your boundaries you'll never know. Open your mind for a change.
(January 4, 2020 at 10:07 pm)LLek Wrote:
(January 4, 2020 at 3:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @Lek

Yes. If he only interacted by natural means it would.  But he doesn't.

You are all understating the significance of the majority of humankind believing in God. This even applies to modern times when people are educated in modern science. I mean we know that the earth is not flat and it revolves around the sun. Ninety-nine percent of these believers are totally sane. If God communicates with us through  supernatural means, we would know what he communicated, which we do. I've pretty much said all I have to say in that regard.  As long as you live within your boundaries you'll never know.  Open your mind for a change.

So, you aren’t going to respond to a single point, or answer a single question I posed to you in my prior response? Nice. I’ll know better than to waste my time giving you thoughtful replies in the future. Maybe you deserve to be denigrated after all.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

I'd still like to know when Lek witnessed god's tallywacker.
Its because LfC is doing good spanking. Methaphorically of course.
(January 4, 2020 at 10:31 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: So, you aren’t going to respond to a single point, or answer a single question I posed to you in my prior response? Nice. I’ll know better than to waste my time giving you thoughtful replies in the future. Maybe you deserve to be denigrated after all.

That's too bad because I especially appreciate your responses. I looked back to your last two posts and I responded to both. Please realize that I'm alone against you all. If I make a post, I may get a large number of responses, whereas you only respond to mine. Often I have to be more selective because I don't have time to respond individually to all posts. I do appreciate all your replies. Oftentimes I feel I'm answering more than one reply with a single post.

(January 4, 2020 at 10:40 pm)no one Wrote: I'd still like to know when Lek witnessed god's tallywacker.

If it's what I think it is, then I never witnessed it.  Now you can rest easy.
Then how can you be so sure this god character is a he?
(January 4, 2020 at 3:08 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 4, 2020 at 1:41 pm)Lek Wrote:

There's your circular reasoning.  I say billions of educated, sane people believe or believed in God and the supernatural and you begin with with the premise that I'm proposing magic.

That many people believe something is true doesn’t mean that it necessarily is. That’s a logical fallacy.

Quote:You use these kind of terms to try to denigrate what I say.

Not at all, and I apologize if it came across that way. I have no reason to want to denigrate you. While I think there are a lot of problems with your reasoning, you’ve always been a kind and respectful member. I have no desire to put you down. I just don’t know what else to call the god proposition; some thing that exists but can’t be investigated, demonstrated, or defined; that can literally be and do anything the believer in it wants it to; a thing that serves as an answer to everything, and yet an explanation for nothing, as Matt D. so aptly puts it. In what meaningful way is that different from magic? 

Quote:You premise is that the supernatural doesn't exist, therefore the argument can't be true.

No. We’ve been over this. I don’t assume it doesn’t exist; what I’m saying is, I cannot even assess that proposition because I have no idea what a supernatural thing actually is. What’s it made of? Where is it? How does it work? What are its mechanisms of action? What are some positive descriptors of it? What disqualifies it from being a natural thing? What is the difference between a natural thing and a supernatural thing? If you’re asking me if I believe something can exist, I need to know what it is first, before I can attempt to make an evaluation. If you’ve never seen or heard of a tomato before, and I ask you, “Lek, do you believe tomatoes can exist?”, I’m assuming the first thought in your line of reasoning is going to be a question, “Hey, LFC, what’s a tomato?”. Yes?

Quote:I say that God enlightened me and you say that that there could be other reasons why I believe that and, anyway, God doesn't exist, so God can't be one of the options.

No. What I’m asking you to do for me is explain how you’ve determined the god proposition is not only possible but probable when, by your own admission, it can’t be tested.

Quote:If you were open minded you would say "Wow, billions of people believe this.

No, that’s a logical fallacy (mentioned above), and has nothing to do with open mindedness.

Quote:They're appear to be normal educated people.

Irrelevant. Many otherwise normal people believe in things like a flat earth and faked moon landings. Does that mean they must be right? Of course not; that’s why such reasoning is fallacious.

Quote:We've haven't proved that they are wrong.

And, I’m not obligated to do so. That would be an argument from ignorance fallacy. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.

Quote:Maybe they are right.

Maybe they are. It’s up to them to demonstrate that.

Quote:I don't believe it, but we need to further investigate this further anyway.

Sure. So, what is a logically sound, tangible, reliable method for investigating the god proposition? Or, more broadly, the supernatural proposition? Remember, we haven’t even adequately defined it yet. We have to do that first.

@Lek I was talking about this one. Sorry for assuming you were just ignoring me. I am genuinely interested in your thoughts if you get a chance.

(January 4, 2020 at 11:03 pm)no one Wrote: Then how can you be so sure this god character is a he?

I don't think he is.

(January 4, 2020 at 11:07 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @Lek I was talking about this one. Sorry for assuming you were just ignoring me. I am genuinely interested in your thoughts if you get a chance.

Definitely. Let me get my thoughts together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence and causes for doubt LadyForCamus 43 8662 March 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Job search in the medical field Kitty Galore 12 4180 May 3, 2015 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb