Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God a logical contradiction?
RE: Is God a logical contradiction?
I don't have a number for the probability that I'm not a brain in a jar in a sunless universe, but I still feel my inference that the earth will still be orbiting and rotating around one tomorrow is justified.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Great, I'm fine with just saying you have a feeling that animals have a conscience.

Random P.S:

The illusion, as you called it, is important because the deck is stacked against us. Your brain is designed to see intentions and mental states in others, not through logical deduction, but through projection. Mirror neurons are at the center of this, bridging the gap between the sensory and motor systems. You understand the behaviors of others by embodying the perception, and running a simulation of it as if you were the one doing it. This means that your inferences of other minds is entirely biased with your own. This is also perhaps why it's easier to imagine that apes have a conscience, but it becomes progressively harder to do so the less the animal looks like us. In part because they activate our mirror neurons less and less, and we project ourselves unto them less and less.
(February 9, 2020 at 7:36 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: I made consciousness a prerequisite for conscience, not interchanged the two. You can define conscience in any way you want (the feeling of right and wrong, a voice in your head, etc.), and as long as it is a conscious experience you cannot know if an animal has it.

As a sane person, I don't hear "voices in my head". 

And if we could not determine if an animal was experiencing "consciousness" or "conscience", then we can't determine if a human is either.

You really don't think this crap through, do you. That was not a question.

(February 10, 2020 at 11:07 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Great, I'm fine with just saying you have a feeling that animals have a conscience.

Random P.S:

The illusion, as you called it, is important because the deck is stacked against us. Your brain is designed to see intentions and mental states in others, not through logical deduction, but through projection. Mirror neurons are at the center of this, bridging the gap between the sensory and motor systems. You understand the behaviors of others by embodying the perception, and running a simulation of it as if you were the one doing it. This means that your inferences of other minds is entirely biased with your own. This is also perhaps why it's easier to imagine that apes have a conscience, but it becomes progressively harder to do so the less the animal looks like us. In part because they activate our mirror neurons less and less, and we project ourselves unto them less and less.

And now your claim is that fucking dolphins look so like us. Try listening to yourself. It's hilarious.
Dolphins are often seen as cheerful because their snout and clicks look and sound as if they're smiling or laughing. Not to mention a lot of people didn't like the live action lion king movie as much as the cartoon, despite being pretty much identical scene by scene. Probably because the cartoons were given more human-like facial expressions, whereas animals don't realistically have them. So we connect with the characters less.
(February 10, 2020 at 12:01 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Dolphins are often seen as cheerful because their snout and clicks look and sound as if they're smiling or laughing. Not to mention a lot of people didn't like the live action lion king movie as much as the cartoon, despite being pretty much identical scene by scene. Probably because the cartoons were given more human-like facial expressions, whereas animals don't realistically have them. So we connect with the characters less.

What a spectacular display of ignorance. You should be ashamed of yourself yet I am certain you will not be.

Some people imagine that religion is all happy clappy nice but in reality it has a deeply ugly side. You are the case study for that ugly side.

Seriously, that level of ignorance is astonishing. You derive your information about the world around us that we actually fucking live in from cartoons on TV? 

If you really were that moronic, you would be unable to tie your own shoelaces let alone operate an internet device. Yet here you are, lying through your teeth for jebus. You are a liar and proud of it.
Televisions are part of the world we live in, and if the effects mentioned can be observed even in cartoons, I don't see the issue with the example. You can help people get over phobias with cartoons and VR sets, so clearly it's a useful tool.
(February 10, 2020 at 10:00 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: For starters, most people would say sparrows and eagles are different kinds of birds, not different degrees of bird. So what are you talking about? Define your terms before giving examples.

Already have.  You asked me how I would describe consciousness with respect to the possibility of non-human congnizance.  I probably wouldn't use the same semantics when describing species of bird.  "Kind" is not a designation of species.  

If you would prefer to use "kind" in this way, we can.  There are different "kinds" of consciousness.  No one expects their contents to be identical.  Some are more alike than others.  

None of this is instructive, however, as there's still no explanation of how this would be a problem anyway.  There's no point in us bickering over something that doesn't matter, agreed?  If there is no such thing as non human consciousness, then fine.  If there is, I say fine...but clearly this is not an acceptable proposition to you.

Why?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 10, 2020 at 12:39 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Televisions are part of the world we live in, and if the effects mentioned can be observed even in cartoons, I don't see the issue with the example. You can help people get over phobias with cartoons and VR sets, so clearly it's a useful tool.

Ignorance can be sorted with appropriate education. Even plain information.

Idiocy is incurable.
(February 10, 2020 at 12:52 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: -If you would prefer to use "kind" in this way, we can.

-If there is no such thing as non human consciousness, then fine.  If there is, I say fine...but clearly this is not an acceptable proposition to you. Why?

The only thing that's not acceptable to me are claims that suggest we know what other organisms experience (and that theres abundant evidence) when we know no such thing.

---

Kinds and degrees were your descriptions; I'm just trying to make sense of how you're using them. For example:

"Contents would be degrees. A cat sees more than we do, but we both see." -Gae

I have no issues using degrees within a specific sense, and saying that one organism has more or less of it than another. But if you're using degrees across senses it no longer makes sense (i.e. that vision and audition are different "degrees" of sensation), which you would need to do if you claim the consciousness of a bat differs from ours in degrees not kind.

And just to beat a dead horse you don't know what a cat sees. If you say a cat's retina is more sensitive to stimulation than ours, that's fine. But we're talking about conscious experience, and you have no idea if sight takes up more real estate in a cats consciousness than in ours.
What I do know about cats is that when bbqing fish, an army on the roof gathers...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 3149 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4687 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 13350 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6953 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 16568 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 13563 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 16324 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4177 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2290 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1071 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot