Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God a logical contradiction?
RE: Is God a logical contradiction?
Fine, have fun talking to yourself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"...those same things we take to be indicative of consciousness and conscience in humans, are also present in animals. You -strongly- insist that these observations are insufficient..." -Mr. Gae.

While you're away I'll leave you with this final thought. A toy furby will look at you, shake up and down, and tell you it loves you. These are all behaviors indicative of consciousness and empathy in humans. Would you not strongly insist that these observations are insufficient to know the furby is conscious?
(February 10, 2020 at 7:04 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: I can't state something I don't have. But I enjoy the attempt to hide your unsubstantiated claims about consciousness with such a transition.

Except for the thing you flat out stated that you actually do have. Lying for jebus makes you special, right? 

If you are intending to engage in any reasonable discussion, bring a modicum of honesty to the table. Abject lies are not going to garner you friends or allies. Or mythical gods to take up your slack.
At work.

A 'Furby'? Really?

Me thinks John 6IX is relying more on the marketing promises put forth by the toy company rather than having owned one themselves.

Also..... is John 6IX now flailing towards referance to the 'Turing test' in an effort to help their claims?

Coffee
(February 10, 2020 at 8:30 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:  is John 6IX now flailing towards referance to the 'Turing test' in an effort to help their claims?

The problem of inferring consciousness applies to many things including computers, not just animals. I think the Turing test has more to do with the concept of intelligence than consciousness, so I wasn't intentionally referring to it, but perhaps the two go hand in hand. I just think computers are a great way to dissociate a behavior from any conscious underpinnings; given that they can behave while seemingly unconscious. But again we can observe the same thing with split brain patients, sleep walking perhaps, etc.
@John 6IX Breezy Have you read Professor Damasio work?
(February 11, 2020 at 8:34 am)LastPoet Wrote: @John 6IX Breezy Have you read Professor Damasio work?

Not all of it but yes. Why?
(February 10, 2020 at 8:06 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: "...those same things we take to be indicative of consciousness and conscience in humans, are also present in animals. You -strongly- insist that these observations are insufficient..." -Mr. Gae.

While you're away I'll leave you with this final thought. A toy furby will look at you, shake up and down, and tell you it loves you. These are all behaviors indicative of consciousness and empathy in humans. Would you not strongly insist that these observations are insufficient to know the furby is conscious?

Would you not strongly comprehend WHY those behaviors in a furby aren't equivalent to, say, a female chimp risking her life to protect her closest female associate from an aggressive male?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(February 11, 2020 at 11:12 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(February 10, 2020 at 8:06 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: "...those same things we take to be indicative of consciousness and conscience in humans, are also present in animals. You -strongly- insist that these observations are insufficient..." -Mr. Gae.

Would you not strongly comprehend WHY those behaviors in a furby aren't equivalent to, say, a female chimp risking her life to protect her closest female associate from an aggressive male?

Why aren't they equivalent? Because one is alive? Because a chimp seems more complex than a furby?

I'm not fully on-board with behavioral genetics, nor am I a computer scientist. Nevertheless, I'm sure most people here have read the Selfish Gene; in particular the part about bees and foul brood, and the association between a bee's behavior and its genetic underpinning. It shows how a behavior can result from the presence of a gene. You say a furby isn't equivalent to a chimp, but what's the difference between a furby/computer's behavior being regulated by codes, and an animal's behavior being directly or indirectly regulated by genes? In neither case do we have sufficient information to know the behavior is accompanied by any kind of conscious experience. Consciousness is often more about being than doing.

Take the amygdala for example. The public tends to view it as the "fear center" of the brain; but people in the field view the role of the amygdala as threat detection and defense, things like fight-or-flight response, etc. Why is this important? Because the mechanisms of behaviors such as fight-or-flight are not the same as those responsible for the feeling of fear. The feeling of fear is being processed elsewhere in the brain such as the cortex. That means that observing behaviors such as an animal running away from a predator, which we associate with feeling afraid, does not inform you whether or not the organism is experiencing fear. There's a distinction between the parts of the brain that are responsible for executing the behavior, and the parts of the brain that are correlated with the experience of feeling it. The amygdala does its work unconsciously, whereas fear is conscious. Similarly, protecting your closest female associate from an aggressive male sounds like a threat detection/defense mechanism. Geneticists have formulas such as Hamilton's Rule showing how alleles causing altruistic behavior can spread. 

So again, you're better off looking at a furby wiggle its ears and infering it was conscious.
(February 10, 2020 at 6:04 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: "Many other animals are also conscious, some, even have a conscience." -Gae

Again, my only problem is with claims such as the one you made above, when you don't possibly have access to such information.

Why wouldn't other animals have a conscience if humans, a kind of animal have a conscience?
What stops them?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 3149 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4687 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 13350 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6953 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 16568 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 13563 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 16324 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4177 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2290 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1071 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot