Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God a logical contradiction?
RE: Is God a logical contradiction?
Oh look.. you did say that:

"He can say that we can't observe consciousness, but not at the same time as he insists that we can observe the correlates of consciousness."
Do you understand why?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Because you weren't familiar with the literature, nor the methods scientists use to assess these correlates.
Clearly not, then, and we're right back were we started. With you demonstrating that you still don't understand a stolen concept despite much effort being wasted on you.

Understanding a stolen concept is in no way shape or form an issue of understanding cognitive science or the contents of cognitive science. It's not an argument about the contents of cognitive science, either. It's the simple requirement of a valid form to any logical proposition or argument. You cannot assert and thus require the truth of what you would simultaneously seek to disprove.

Nothing even, to do with me, let alone what I do or don't know. It's you, your choice of statements, your call. Always has been, and it's always been simple to fix. We observe voltage by observing correlates, we observe temperature by observing correlates, we observe -everything- by observing correlates. You either think we can do this, or you think we can't, but you can't validly state both claims at once, let alone in the same sentence, as you did. Accepting that we can observe the correlates of consciousness saddles you with the genetic validity of those semantics and that method.

You don't want to be saddled with this, because, in truth, you do not actually believe it, and object to science having any ability to observe consciousness whatsoever. But the saddle, unfortunately, is very valuable. Keeps you from sounding like the feckless troll of a crank that you are. Or at least you think it does..... even though that hasn't quite worked out here on the boards. So you're going to lug it all the way to the grave, I suspect.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If we're in a room separated by a curtain, and the curtain prevents me from seeing you clap. Do you think it's possible to correlate the clap that you're making with the sound that I'm hearing, just by us communicating with each other?

Or do you think that unless I visually observe the clap I cannot assess that sound is a correlate of it?
-to the end of days.

This argument above is pointless. A stolen concept arises not when two people have a disagreement over a body of facts, but when one person refers to and so requires the facts they seek to disprove. No matter what I think about the above, and no matter what you think about the above, that..is what a stolen concept is.
It does matter; there is no stolen concept unless you think the correlation is logically dependant on observing the visual clap.
Again, the matter of a stolen concept has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks. It's an issue of how to formulate a coherent proposition.

You asserted that we could do something, and then concluded that we couldn't. Requiring the truth of what you simultaneously seek to disprove.

Dropping the assertion that we could do something eliminates the stolen concept, and is a more accurate description of what you actually believe...anyway. Understand?
In other words, to say the audible correlates of a clap are observable, but not the clap itself, is in your opinion a stolen concept.
44 pages of conversation about something as simple as a stolen concept going over your head. I don't have an opinion of a stolen concept. A stolen concept -is- requiring the truth of what you simultaneously seek to disprove.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 3149 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4687 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 13350 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6953 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 16568 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 13563 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 16324 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4177 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2290 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1071 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot