Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God a logical contradiction?
RE: Is God a logical contradiction?
Here's an important question. Do you think a measurement is a correlation? Or vice versa, that a correlation is a measurement?

Or do you see them as separate concepts?
We observe temperature by the position of a body of liquid in a vial. We observe voltage by the position of a needle on a machine face. We observe..everything, by their correlating conscious experiences...... You tell me.

-but this is the important part, at least with respect to stolen concepts...no matter what you tell me, you can't then assert the truth of what you would attempt to disprove. If you think that we can't observe temperature or voltage...then you can't simultaneously think that we observe the correlates of temperature and voltage. If you think that we can observe the correlates of temperature and voltage, then you can't simultaneously think that we can't observe temperature and voltage.

Note that I'm not telling you that it's impossible for you to be a complete loon or cretin with directly contradictory beliefs and a tendency to express them in incoherent sentences...pretty sure you are...only that this rats nest does not qualify as a valid..which is to say coherent, proposition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In science, we observe things through measurement, not their correlation. Observation and measurement are interchangeable; observation and correlation are not. Agreed?
Well, I guess we don't observe temp and voltage either, then. That's fine. That's...fine. You can think as much. Don't tell me that we can observe their correlates, now. Observing somethings correlate is an observation of that something, just as surely as catshit means cats.

Like I said, I'm not interested in bickering with you, I'm insisting that you stop bickering with yourself.

You think that we observe behaviors, not the neural correlates of consciousness. If you simply expressed it this way, it would not have been a stolen concept fallacy. OFC< then, you wouldn't have the credibility of the field of cog sci at your disposal..though I'm not sure why you'd have such a hard on to steal it...seeing how completely you then shit on it with a string of bizarre and easily disproven claims.

Ah well, such is life, it isn't for any fact of that body that you hold the position that you do anyway - it's facts of another body of criticism that isn't specific to cog sci, but fundamental to the entire scientific process. It's not as if a bunch of researchers are churning out work on something they think they can't observe. So..you know, at least know which side of that little kerfuffle you belong on, right?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You're using the word "correlate" to describe the connection between a sensory stimuli and it's perception within the observer. In other words, you've shifted the goalpost, again.

Instead of how consciousness in others maps on their behavior (the topic of conversation), you've shifted to how the external world maps within our own consciousness. I disagree with using the word correlation in the context of perception; there's a causal relationship between a sensory stimuli and sensation, and between sensation and perception.
I'm still sitting here yammering on about the same thing I have been for pages..and those pages exist, yet another bizarre and easily disproven claim.

At issue, John, is a stolen concept. Not the truth of either of our positions..or any position. A position that contains a stolen concept can still be true. To assert otherwise is charmingly called the fallacy fallacy. At issue, is that you cannot simultaneously think that something is observable, and not observable.
(February 19, 2020 at 7:09 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: You think that we observe behaviors, not the neural correlates of consciousness.

You've quoted me as saying we can observe the behavioral correlates of consciousness and the neural correlates of consciousness. So why are you making this up?
I'm not you nutbar, lol. I'm noting that this statement is incoherent with respect to the very next words that fell out of your mouth. That we can't observe consciousness. Another bizarre and easily disprovable claim. You're really on a roll.

I'm flat out informing you....that -if- you think that we can observe the correlates of consciousness, which is something you've said we can do.... -then- you cannot simultaneously think that we cannot observe consciousness. Again, not an issue of whether or not you're a loon with directly contradictory beliefs. You told us that you were, and I believe you. The statement is a stolen concept fallacy. Asserting, and thus requiring, the truth of what you would seek to disprove.

It's not actually what you think, if you think that we can't observe consciousness. You think we observe behaviors and brain activity. If you thought these were the correlates of consciousness they would be observations of consciousness just as much as looking at a thermometer or voltmeter is an observation of temperature or voltage. Which, again, remember, you think they are not.
Good, so we agree that I've said neural correlates are observable, and you simply misspoke.
Back to the straight troll. How precious.

-and still, a stolen concept. This is a real head scratcher. Given your expansive knowledge of the philosophy of science and true positions in cognitive science, why can't you reformulate your own position to exclude the stolen concept fallacy, and also, why can't you read?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 3149 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4687 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 13350 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6953 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 16568 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 13563 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 16324 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4177 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2290 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1071 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot