Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God a logical contradiction?
RE: Is God a logical contradiction?
(February 20, 2020 at 10:13 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(February 20, 2020 at 4:16 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: You just repeated it again.  Right there, directly, no need to dig up any old posts, because you just said, and I refuse to quote it since it's sitting right up there above these remarks.. that you think that science can't observe consciousness.

If you say science can't currently do it, I agree. But if you just say science can't, then you've given the sentence a different meaning, and made it up.

My exact quote was: "You can observe the neural correlates of consciousness and the behavioral correlates of consciousness, but not consciousness itself...".

Notice there's no mention of what science can or can't do, only what we can or can't do.

"I didn't say what I said and I'll say it again, cuz you made it up!".............. get out of here with that silly bullshit, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I see; so you've built your whole case on having misread a sentence?
We're not having a discussion about science fiction or the future. You're acting like a child.

You believe that science cannot observe consciousness. That's what you said, that's what I've been commenting on.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Then say it correctly: science cant currently do it. Here's an earlier comment of mine: "...it's unknowable with our current tools and methods."
(February 20, 2020 at 10:23 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Your question? I have no beliefs about whether we'll achieve such technology. I hope we do.

OK, then the debate is over, because we have already done it. You lose. We can already read images out of the brain in real time of memories.

The research has moved beyond that to the point of considering replaying memory as a frakkin' movie.

You are no cognitive scientist.

For anyone interested...
[Image: fig2a_16x9.jpg?itok=Wn4llgE1]

Top row is the original images. Subsequent rows are extracted from subjects recalling those images by fMRI.

Breezy is lying.
Cite your reference.
(February 20, 2020 at 12:43 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Cite your reference.

What's the point? You could google it, I suppose, but we all know you wont. 

I could cite you this years old and still ongoing research, replete with peer reviewed papers aplenty.

But so could you. 

Is that because you are such a lazy arse bastard that you need spoon feeding? Nope, not at all.

It is because you are ideologically committed to an imaginary sky fairy who micro-manages the universe.

I could hurl the scholarly peer reviewed papers, no problem. There are plenty of them. But I also know that you will not read them because "gawd".

You have no interest in anything real. Your magic book and magic sky fairy is all you want. All else must be false. That is what your sky daddy demands. That is what you grovel about.

I cannot stop you grovelling before your imaginary master. I could (and I can) provide peer reviewed papers all day long.

But I wont. Your education is not my job, it is yours. Sure you can abdicate that responsibility as much as you like. That is also not my problem.  

You can wallow in ignorance as long as you like for all I care.

But you have now welched on your commitment. That makes you a liar. Yet another liar for jebus.

(February 20, 2020 at 12:43 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Cite your reference.

Oh sorry, I forgot. Cite my reference? A mere dumb image search would get you there, but even that is beyond you.

If you cannot operate google, then you should not have a device in your charge more complex than a fireplace.

I intentionally provided no references. Not because I didn't have them, I do.

I was interested to see if you would venture beyond whinging for them because you were too bone ass lazy.

Turns out you are indeed too bone ass lazy.

This is not my problem.
Is this the preprint awaiting peer-review which you are referencing: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/...7.full.pdf
(February 20, 2020 at 12:06 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Then say it correctly: science cant currently do it. Here's an earlier comment of mine: "...it's unknowable with our current tools and methods."

John, this is -always- what we've been commenting on.  You're not correcting anyone, or anything. The tense is not not problem, lol.
Good, then we've avoided misunderstanding. Proceed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logical Disproofs of a Biblical Type God JohnJubinsky 28 3149 June 14, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4687 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  To theists- A logical insight into Atheism ignoramus 65 13350 May 16, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Is it logical for a Theological Noncognitivist to identify as an atheist? IanHulett 24 6953 September 8, 2015 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 16568 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Why Agnostic Atheism may not be the most logical stance. Mystic 36 13563 March 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  one logical explanation for Materialistic Athiesm? Bob101 61 16324 February 13, 2014 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Dillahunty pwns logical fallacies. feeling 10 4177 December 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Thou Shall Not Commit Logical Fallacies Fidel_Castronaut 4 2290 November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  list of logical fallacies TheBeardedDude 1 1071 November 26, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot