Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why won't God heal amputees?
RE: Why won't God heal amputees?
(June 11, 2020 at 9:13 am)tackattack Wrote: @SUNGULA if u don’t think u have a hole that needs filling then u are simply not looking deep enough. We all have holes to fill ( I’ll ignore the next 4 dirty mind posts) just as we all have biases. Some fill it with God, some fill it with other things. Lack of contentment is a feature not a bug.
Nope we don't have holes we have lives
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 10, 2020 at 12:05 pm)brokenreflector Wrote: To me a maximally great world would be one that brings the most people into a saving relationship with God and I believe we are in such a world.

Doesn't matter what it is to you, a maximally great world to anyone loving, would be a world where everyone is built in such a way we are kind to each other, and have healthy lives. The fact you lower the bar for some nebulous crap is on you.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
broken, your idea of a maximally great world seems to suffer from an arbitrariness problem, and therefore it's probably not maximally great in any "non-arbitrary" sense. If God saves only a select few in this world that you consider maximally great, why not more?
@SUNGULA A plant has a life, as do people in vegetative states. What u have are wants and desires and like any landscape has a plethora of hills and valleys. Why are u so averse to admitting your life has at least one hole and that it’s a feature?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 11, 2020 at 8:15 pm)tackattack Wrote: @SUNGULA A plant has a life, as do people in vegetative states. What u have are wants and desires and like any landscape has a plethora of hills and valleys. Why are u so averse to admitting your life has at least one hole and that it’s a feature?
People are neither plants nor vegetables. What we have is human life and it's not a landscape such analogies cheapen it ,And we have no holes nothing that needs to be filled nothing that's a replacement for anything else . If some does believe they have a hole then it's illusion and a sign of a far darker problem . For wants and desires are not filler they are experience and to view them as such is mesathopic and anti life .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Instead of typing about the difference between hazy desires and metaphorical holes, I offer:

(June 11, 2020 at 8:15 pm)tackattack Wrote: @SUNGULA A plant has a life, as do people in vegetative states. What u have are wants and desires and like any landscape has a plethora of hills and valleys.

[quote='tackattack' pid='1982019' dateline='1591920911']Why are u so averse to admitting your life has at least one hole and that it’s a feature?
Because it is a theist lie yet again. I know mine does not. I not only have no motivation to fill an imaginary hole with an imaginary deity. I am happy and content without either. I am almost certain that Sungula feels exactly the same.

Yet here you are attempting to create an imaginary hole into which you can insert your imaginary "god". I have family who love me and I return the favour, I earn money sufficient to my needs, I have no debts, I own my own home outright. I experience the numinous through my copiuos reading of diverse writings. I think for myself about that. I have hobbies and passions. I volunteer for others to support them. I help neighbours and friends to the best of my ability for which they are grateful. In turn, they help me. Life is pretty good.

But there is no god involved in it, nor any need for such a foolish nonsense.

Yet somehow, you imagine there is some gap, or void in all of our lives that needs to be filled by "god".

That is the biggest sack of it you have ever posted.

I don't need some "god" to make my life alright. It is alright already without any "god".
If God's own happiness is more important then why *should* he heal amputees?
At work.

(June 13, 2020 at 5:18 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote: If God's own happiness is more important then why *should* he heal amputees?

Well.... that would seem to depend on the qualities of the diety people are talking about.

Some diety's are posited as being "All loving/caring/(Insert your synonym here)"

Hence the 'Problem of evil' if you're positing a monotheistic belief.

Cheers.
(June 13, 2020 at 5:24 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

(June 13, 2020 at 5:18 am)UtilitarianDeist Wrote: If God's own happiness is more important then why *should* he heal amputees?

Well.... that would seem to depend on the qualities of the diety people are talking about.

Some diety's are posited as being "All loving/caring/(Insert your synonym here)"

Hence the 'Problem of evil' if you're positing a monotheistic belief.

Cheers.

If God is within us all and we love ourselves then that is God loving us. 

That is perfectly compatible with the rest of the universe not caring about us *when* the rest of the universe has a mind and is God and is more important than us because there's more total utility there than there is on this one little planet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9435 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Won't this upset the assholes? Minimalist 9 1211 July 22, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 31563 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  God won't save you because of gay people. Foxaèr 16 3835 December 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If jesus knows where the missing Malaysian airplane is, why won't he tell someone? Brakeman 45 6855 March 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12856 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil Cyberman 22 11989 April 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
Last Post: C Rod
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6791 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  American Military proves scientifically that prayer does not heal people. reverendjeremiah 8 4718 December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels