Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 11:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding transgenderism.
RE: Understanding transgenderism.
Needling.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well, lol, I don't expect an answer, and..frankly, I don't know what you get off on (nor would it matter). The pairing of sex with their supposed opposite gender characteristics is pretty instructive. Just thinking about how boyness is not maleness, but a set of descriptors that can apply to a female. Does. Many of them, is what matters. Same with females and girls. We identify inside of these boundaries, or so we say, but if we really considered just our own apprehensions we might notice something is amiss. A person can hit our fetishized gender requirements...but that one sexual surprise will likely tank it all. We often find ourselves waking up in bed with a person who hits our sexual requirement, but fails with respect to our gender fetish.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Answers don't suffice to quell the thrill you feel from being obtusely argumentive, dear.
~ Erin Hunter
(April 28, 2021 at 11:38 pm)Eleven Wrote: Answers don't suffice to quell the thrill you feel from being obtusely argumentive, dear.

You aren't seriously calling someone else argumentative, are you?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Others most like myself are easier to understand.
~ Erin Hunter
When I think something is super interesting, I tend not to shut up about it, it's true.

I think it's interesting that gender identity has become such a useful item of the culture war that we find ourselves entertaining untenable notions like biological essentialism in gender. We know that's not true, we know that it can't even be true, and yet, here we are - for so many different reasons, saying that it is.

To give you very different examples of something - that the explanation of gender lies in it's fitness as an idea, not it's truth - pure utility -

A transgender person might argue for the biological essentialism of their state of affairs because they feel it grants a toe hold for that state of affairs equality, for it's naturalness™. Or maybe because they feel as though the gender they identify as is just as genuine, just as earnestly felt.

A nutjob might argue for biological essentialism because they been guzzling haterade their whole life and biologically, essentially, that trans person is just a sick yucky dude.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And sometimes we become so interested that we tightly entwine ourselves into philosophical webs where we lose perspective of reason.
~ Erin Hunter
Which would be what? I think that gender literally is one of those webs. There is no essential boyness or girlness. Boyness and girlness are not heritable. Boyness and girlness provide no instructions.

-and yet we all assume we have some.
We like to compliment ourselves with a complexity that does not exist. Most things are linearly simple. Webs are simple, until you twist yourself unreasonably into one with no hope of escape without getting further entangled. Gender is simply what it is, until people want to pretend they are more complex than what they are at their core.
~ Erin Hunter
I don't think we differ much here in principle. I think that gender is that pretense of complexity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transgenderism in the tech industry BLDM 119 10038 December 17, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding Narcissism Edwardo Piet 146 10756 August 25, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"? Edwardo Piet 42 3326 October 13, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Understanding one's anger Edwardo Piet 18 4670 September 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Understanding the British. Dotard 47 12696 June 30, 2010 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Loki_999