Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding the British.
Understanding the British.
What exactly does "Bugger" mean? I've heard "At least I didn't get buggered as a child in the catholic church." Which leads me to think it means 'butt-fucked'.

But then I heard "I can't be buggered." Which, in it's context, I though meant "Can't be bothered."
Then someone posted "buggery" in the favorite cuss word thread and got me confused again.

I've also heard "I'm going to step out and smoke a fag." Is fag a slang word for cigarette or was he going to shoot a homosexual?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Understanding the British.
Wikipedia is your friend.
REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger
wikipedia Wrote:Bugger is a slang word used in the vernacular British English, Irish English, Australian English, Canadian English, New Zealand English, South African English, Indian English, and occasionally also in Malaysian English, Scots and (rarely) American English. It is derived from Anglo-Norman bougre, which has also given the term buggery, a term originally used to describe either anal intercourse by a man with a man or woman,[1] or sexual intercourse by either a man or a woman with an animal.[2] Today, the term is a general-purpose expletive, used to imply dissatisfaction, or used to describe someone or something whose behaviour is in some way displeasing, though in general Australian and New Zealand English the expletive force has largely disappeared; the word there now has a 'catch-all', almost humorous, 'Jeez' quality.
Well, bugger me backwards! Let me guess, you are Yank?
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
(June 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm)Dotard Wrote: I've also heard "I'm going to step out and smoke a fag." Is fag a slang word for cigarette or was he going to shoot a homosexual?
lol Big Grin

U so funny Smile
(June 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm)Dotard Wrote: What exactly does "Bugger" mean? I've heard "At least I didn't get buggered as a child in the catholic church." Which leads me to think it means 'butt-fucked'.

But then I heard "I can't be buggered." Which, in it's context, I though meant "Can't be bothered."
Then someone posted "buggery" in the favorite cuss word thread and got me confused again.

I've also heard "I'm going to step out and smoke a fag." Is fag a slang word for cigarette or was he going to shoot a homosexual?

Wink Shades

Cant be buggered. Cant be arsed. Cant be fucked. All means Cant be bothered.

Fag is a ciggie.

In America to be "pissed" means tobe angry/annoyed. In England to be pissed means to be drunk! BUT piss also means wee wee in England and it's a slightly rude word that you wouldnt want your kids to say BUT in America everybody says it like its not rude at all??!!Confused Fall
Understanding the British, good luck. They don't even pronoun T's, just kind of leave them out. Allo, I am Bri-ish.

If they remove Don't Ask, Don't Tell, who will join the Navy?
(June 16, 2010 at 4:03 am)Pippy Wrote: They don't even pronoun T's, just kind of leave them out.

Depends on what part of the country you are talking about. In Yorkshire sometimes the T is quite accented, eg: Ya goin T'pub? (Translation: Are you going to the pub?)

For real fun, listen to a true Scouser (person from Liverpool) or Geordie (from Newcastle). For a real challenge spend several months surrounded by city center Glaswegians.... took me a month to even understand half of what they were saying.

Still, the variety of accents in the UK is one of the charming things about England. Such a small country we have but so much diversity.

Anyway, they are all better than American accents.... Texan English - now there is an abomination.
A finite number of monkeys with a finite number of typewriters and a finite amount of time could eventually reproduce 4chan.
(June 16, 2010 at 3:42 am)mem Wrote: In America to be "pissed" means tobe angry/annoyed. In England to be pissed means to be drunk! BUT piss also means wee wee in England and it's a slightly rude word that you wouldnt want your kids to say BUT in America everybody says it like its not rude at all??!!Confused Fall
"Piss" means urine in America too, and it is considered rude and colloquial. The only difference I see is that it means angry over here, and drunk where you are. Maybe it's considered more rude in England? I don't know, but I was taught not to say piss as a kid O.o
We say "I'm pissed off" which means fed up.

I thought being pissed in America wasnt rude cos I've heard it said on daytime T.V. American Progs?

It's all a bit confusing. Language facinates me.
FOR the tourist visiting OZ

NO ONE SAYS "CRIKEY!"

If visiting you should be aware the 'L' in 'Australia' is silent.

'Bastard' may be used a term of endearment ,but only between close friends. If said to a stranger you may find yourself king hit (one punch knock out)

The word 'ass" is pronounced 'arse' or 'bum' . A 'fanny' is a vagina.

It's OK to call other males 'mate, even as you are glancing around for a blunt to object with which to make your point.

'Root' is a polite word for 'fuck' and is used by both sexes with gay abandon.

There are few mortal insults in Australia. One is to call someone a 'bludger".Originally slang for pimp,today it means parasite. Also not a good idea to call a woman a 'skanky moll' (unless you are referring Paris Hilton)

Common terms for drunk: Pissed,pissed as a fart, pissed as a newt, legless,shitfaced ,(also means high on drugs) shickered ,(Yiddish) tired and emotional,well oiled.

"Pissed off" means 'angry'. To tell some one to 'piss off ' is a slightly less offensive way of saying 'fuck off'.

AT the barbecue,remember to take twice as much beer as you intend to drink, say a slab of 24 bottles. Also remember to make a pass at the host's wife. He'll take it as a compliment and she'll be flattered. Do NOT have a go at the shy young thing who looks like Elle McPherson. That's young Chantelle, she's 12. It's also considered bad manners vomit on any of the family pets. Better to do it on the shag pile.

Do come down for a visit. Ignore the stories you may have heard about our so-called dangerous fauna .We have plenty of anti venom for the snakes, spiders and octopi. The crocodiles live 2000 miles up north and only eat the odd Japanese tourist who tries to pet them. You won't get eaten by a shark if you don't go swimming in the sea.There are no sharks in our estuaries up north,the salt water crocodiles kill them.

Oh,it's not OK to call anyone a cunt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding transgenderism. Jehanne 98 5253 May 1, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 950 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How Americans view the British Cod 81 6284 December 26, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Quick poll: Are you British? Edwardo Piet 65 9831 April 4, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Understanding Narcissism Edwardo Piet 146 10312 August 25, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"? Edwardo Piet 42 3073 October 13, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  British people - Thinking about emigrating... Dystopia 26 4062 August 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  British accents Lemonvariable72 5 1447 October 1, 2014 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  British royal family = BORING paulpablo 48 15262 July 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Understanding one's anger Edwardo Piet 18 4640 September 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc