Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding Narcissism
Understanding Narcissism
I'm really interested in NPD and I'd love to know more about it. Narcs confuse me.

What confuses me about it is the fact narcissism is supposedly when people "Love themselves" but narcs feed off other people like vampires. If they love themselves why do they need to feed off others? Narcs are confusing.

I feel like understanding it is the only way to cope with them. Whenever they are, whoever they are: supposedly they're very manipulative and destructive human beings but they can act like they're lovely and caring and charismatic.

From what I've read up on it they feel worthless and get their self esteem from other people but what I don't understand is I thought narcissists loved themselves so why do they feel worthless? They supposedly have no empathy but is that really true? Does this mean Rhianna has no empathy?

Narcs are suppoedly often charming... can they also be super sexy? Are they really all bad? How serious is their condition?

Why do they ask if they can be sexy? Same reason I mentioned Rhianna:

Relationship psychologist Jo Hemmings opines that Rihanna could recognise the damage she is doing to herself through counselling. Talk therapy is one of the suggested methods for patients suffering from NPD.

From the website sourced below Wrote:[...]factor that needs to be taken into account is that Rihanna is seen constantly trying to keep in touch with her ex-boyfriend Chris Brown who used to abuse her. In spite of facing the abuse, it could be the singer's insecurity that is tempting her to get back with Brown. During one of her erratic moments, before her UK tour, Rihanna had gone missing during the last moment. Manager and mentor, Jay Z had gone crazy seeing Rihanna's irrational behaviour and urged to seek help. When Rihanna went missing, the crew started searching for her. It justifies "a constant need for attention and admiration" that is seen in NPD patients.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/rihanna-persona...own-357287

Rhianna is like the sexiest celebrity alive. Has her amazing charisma and sexy cockiness and self-love got anything to do with this attention seeking Narccistic Personality Disorder that she supposedly has?

So I'd like to understand it more and wonder if these people really lack empathy or if they're just rather messed up. Do narcs really love themselves that much or do they pretend to love themselves to make themselves feel better?

Narcs supposedly have no empathy... I can't believe Rhianna would have no empathy but I may be biased because she's so fucking sexy and seems like a nice person.
RE: Understanding Narcissism
[Image: rihanna-3.jpg]

Wow. If I looked like that I'd be a narcissist too!
Go here. It's a very reliable website. http://www.daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com

You can apply any of the situations there to anyone, not just a narcissistic mother. I suggested it because it was the first website suggested to me six years ago when I found out I was dealing with narcissist in my life.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I was going to read all that, but I'm much too busy appreciating what a glorious example of humanositude I am, and basking in the adulation of the adoring multitudes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I have nothing against Rhianna because she's a distant celebrity, but I view narcissism as among the lowest of non-criminal behaviors after all I've been through. I've had to rip too many of those leeches off of me, but not before they took chunks of me with them. The military didn't give me PTSD while I was in. A narcissist took over that role in their place.

Yes, I am a bit bitter still.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Jesster, I can relate. Maybe we can swap stories sometime. Heart
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Narcissism, from what I've observed, tends to be understood generally as one of three ways:

1) High self-confidence and/or self-esteem that may be beneficial to the self and to others (healthy narcissism) or counterproductive (unhealthy narcissism). In this case, narcissism is more a trait that most of us possess to varying extent, additionally varying across situations for each individual.

2) Strictly unhealthy/unproductive narcissism, and especially on a regular basis. This is irrespective of anything to do with NPD.

3) A term directly related to the diagnostic label "NPD" and, to a lesser degree, the other Cluster B personality disorders as well.

This doesn't answer the OP, I know, lol. But just thought I put this out there, just in case.
Wait until you encounter a psychopathic narcissist. Those people are dangerous and should be locked away for the safety of the general public.
I know psychopaths are sadistic and have worse impulse control.
Interesting thread, thanks Smile

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I'll be watching with interest. I've been called a narcissist both directly and by proxy several times.

I don't have much to add, except for the golden rule of narcissism baby (GRONB):

Takes one to know one you bastard!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding transgenderism. Jehanne 98 5170 May 1, 2021 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Understanding "Passive aggressive behavior"? Edwardo Piet 42 3070 October 13, 2015 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Understanding one's anger Edwardo Piet 18 4638 September 16, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Understanding the British. Dotard 47 12473 June 30, 2010 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Loki_999