Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 3:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
RE: The Sects of Atheism
(November 1, 2021 at 7:27 pm)brewer Wrote:
(November 1, 2021 at 7:16 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Okay so first of all I’d like to clear this up with you that I don’t have any absolute proof on the existence of God. This is an existential question of the ages so if we knew the answers one way or another we wouldn’t be having this eternal discussion.
I just want to discuss definitions here for the moment and what those definitions allow you to say about your stance/position.
I think “I don’t know” is a perfectly reasonable answer here which aligns with your position but you’ve described it in a similar way. Cool. Thank you for that. It seems to me you’re the dictionary definition of an atheist.

I do know that I lack a belief. Please don't try to tell me what I am or am not. I'll do the same for you.

I am going to throw some labels here and I hope you all don’t mind just like I don’t mind of the generalizations and comments on religion here.
If you’re too sensitive about this stuff, you don’t have to read me anymore.

I’m going to call this a night as it’s getting late here so have a good one wherever you all are.
(November 1, 2021 at 7:18 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 1, 2021 at 7:14 pm)Foxaire Wrote: And, there it is, seeking the irrational via obfuscation of the burden of proof.

This isn’t confusing at all. Describe what you are and tell me what you think on souls and afterlife.

(November 1, 2021 at 7:17 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: @GaryAnderson

Gnostic and agnostic positions are not contradictory; it’s simply a matter of the individual’s confidence level.

This is correct.
Consider my first post an exercise in logic. Smile

Then you’re in the right place. You’ll learn a lot. 😉
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 1, 2021 at 7:31 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 1, 2021 at 7:27 pm)brewer Wrote: I do know that I lack a belief. Please don't try to tell me what I am or am not. I'll do the same for you.

I am going to throw some labels here and I hope you all don’t mind just like I don’t mind of the generalizations and comments on religion here.

I’m going to call this a night as it’s getting late here so have a good one wherever you all are.

Not sensitive, being courteous,.......... for now. I haven't tried to label your form of christianity.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 1, 2021 at 7:10 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 1, 2021 at 7:02 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I currently disbelieve, based on the current lack of evidence to support the claims that a god, soul or afterlife exist. I am open to being convinced that they do exist, but I currently have no warrant or justification to believe they do.

I am not absolutely certain of the nonexistence of gods, souls, afterlife.

So this means a Hard No and you’re providing no proof for your certainty of the non existence of God/s or souls. Are you the dictionary definitions of atheism or agnostic atheism or are you something else?

I said I am NOT absolutely certain that gods, souls, afterlife does not exist. I am open to the possibility, I just have no warrant or justification to believe those making the claim that those things do exist.

Again, it is not a Hard No" for me, since I make no claims of absolute certainty.

I am an agnostic, because I do not claim to know, that gods do not exist.
I am an atheist, because I disbelieve gods exist.

The 2 positions are not mutually exclusive.

(November 1, 2021 at 7:31 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: I am going to throw some labels here and I hope you all don’t mind just like I don’t mind of the generalizations and comments on religion here.

The problem with your, throwing around labels, is you have gotten pretty close to the "no true Scotsman fallacy" a couple of times.

Just be aware, that the majority of people here, are very will versed in logic, and can easily point out fallacious reasoning with theists arguments.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I just love it when a strident Christian shows up on an atheist forum and pretends to want to understand some things, knowing full well he's heard it all before and just wants to rant and argue. No thanks. Been there, done that. Waste of time.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(November 1, 2021 at 8:25 pm)Spongebob Wrote: I just love it when a strident Christian shows up on an atheist forum and pretends to want to understand some things, knowing full well he's heard it all before and just wants to rant and argue. No thanks. Been there, done that. Waste of time.

This is my take on it too. They want to play "let me bully you into a predetermined response so I can gotcha" and I'm not into it. They've already admitted that they have an agenda, that there's a "correct answer" to these questions and they have many more threads planned, so, it's a script. It's a dumb game. Don't wanna play.

(November 1, 2021 at 6:05 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?
I don't believe in gods.  

Quote:Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.

All sorts of fun and interesting shit, like..for example..the fact that a belief in souls and the afterlife wasn't something any jesus would have believed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2021 at 6:28 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 1, 2021 at 6:23 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Same here: lack of belief in God or gods which follows from my lack of knowledge of whether gods exist or not (agnosticism, though I would call agnostics a sect).

Same deal with the afterlife: no evidence, no knowledge, therefore no belief. As for souls, I like how Nietzsche puts it: "soul is a word for something about the body." There isn't some airy fairy thing called a soul. But soul is a thing we ascribe to beings with conscious awareness. That conscious awareness is caused by brain functioning.

Thank you. You sound like a true atheist, but I’m waiting for one here to give me the correct answer. I am going to call this sect “The Meat Machines”. Meat Machines are basically people whose value is just that. Meat. We will get to this later.
Your answer on soul, skirts on philosophy though and based on your position as “lack of belief” you shouldn’t delve into any philosophy. Do you agree/disagree with this?
You're just a meat machine with delusions of grandeur based on your belief. I came in here, so I don't know if it was addressed below.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(November 1, 2021 at 8:25 pm)Spongebob Wrote: I just love it when a strident Christian shows up on an atheist forum and pretends to want to understand some things, knowing full well he's heard it all before and just wants to rant and argue.  No thanks.  Been there, done that.  Waste of time.

No it isn't. It's fun as fuck. 

I'll argue with a "strident Christian" all day. I live for that shit. Trolls are a different story. They're a genuine waste of time. But I don't mind non-trolly "strident Christians" at all. Bring 'em on! Debate is fun!
[Image: acoverraphael16.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27730 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12700 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12248 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10581 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12087 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38553 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack