Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
RE: The Sects of Atheism
(November 2, 2021 at 3:22 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 12:26 pm)Ahriman Wrote: The definition of "atheism" should be broadened to include a lack of belief in supernatural things period, not just gods. I mean, why stop at gods.

Atheism is a useful term for a specific type of non-belief.  It's rare that anyone inquires about my lack of belief in faeries, ghosts, or the efficacy of palm reading and Tarot cards.  In contrast, there seems to be someone asking "Why don't you believe in God?" All. The. Damn. Time.
Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Quote:Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.
It's not a cover story it's a fact  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 2, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 3:22 pm)Astreja Wrote: Atheism is a useful term for a specific type of non-belief.  It's rare that anyone inquires about my lack of belief in faeries, ghosts, or the efficacy of palm reading and Tarot cards.  In contrast, there seems to be someone asking "Why don't you believe in God?" All. The. Damn. Time.

Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.

Do you believe in: Bigfoot, alien abductions, the Loch Ness monster, Tarot card reading, psychic surgery, seances, Yeti, palm reading, etc?

Why not? And please don't use that tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knowns that's a cover story.

I'll bet you disbelieve in some or all of these, for the same exact reasons we don't believe in a god. Lack of demonstrable and falsifiable evidence.

Without demonstrable and falsifiable evidence for a god, Bigfoot, alien abductions, psychic surgery, etc, etc, why else should we believe?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 2, 2021 at 3:22 pm)Astreja Wrote: Atheism is a useful term for a specific type of non-belief.  It's rare that anyone inquires about my lack of belief in faeries, ghosts, or the efficacy of palm reading and Tarot cards.  In contrast, there seems to be someone asking "Why don't you believe in God?" All. The. Damn. Time.

Well...why don't you believe in unicorns? Just because there's no evidence and you instinctively reel against the idea of horned horses as idiotic superstition?

Physician, heal thyself?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Wacky
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 2, 2021 at 4:14 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.

Well...why don't you believe in unicorns?  Just because there's no evidence and you instinctively reel against the idea of horned horses as idiotic superstition?

Physician, heal thyself?
There might be unicorns somewhere. I don't know.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(November 2, 2021 at 4:04 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.

It's a bit strange, don't you think, that you consider that: correctly applied skepticism, applying good standards of evidence, a sound epistemology, and lack of credulity, are a "cover story"?

The same methods that stopped humans from: sacrificing virgins when there is a famine, 'doctors' from bleeding people when they were sick, burning 'witches' at the stake for performing 'magic', performing exorcisms on mentally ill people instead of treating them, etc. etc,.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 2, 2021 at 4:08 pm)Helios Wrote:
Quote:Well, why don't you believe in God? Without using the tired excuse of "there's no evidence" because everyone knows that's a cover story.
It's not a cover story it's a fact  Dodgy

That's not a fact. That's your opinion. As someone once said, theists do not require evidence and atheists won't accept any. Learning the difference between fact and opinion is one of the first steps in critical thinking, yes?
<insert profound quote here>
Quote:That's not a fact.
Yes, it is

Quote: That's your opinion.
No, it's not

Quote:As someone once said, theists do not require evidence and atheists won't accept any. 
Well that person was full of shit

Quote:Learning the difference between fact and opinion is one of the first steps in critical thinking, yes?
I know the difference and what i said was a fact, not an opinion. I know don't like that fact but that's irrelevant really  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 2, 2021 at 4:19 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 4:14 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well...why don't you believe in unicorns?  Just because there's no evidence and you instinctively reel against the idea of horned horses as idiotic superstition?

Physician, heal thyself?

There might be unicorns somewhere. I don't know.

Your are correct, although the chances are almost zero. the universe is a huge place, and since absolute certainty is impossible. But the time to start to believe unicorns exist, is when there is good evidence for their existence. And not a second sooner.

There might be something that qualifies as a god somewhere, too. As soon as there is good evidence to support its existence, is the time to start believing a god exists.

You do understand (actually, you probable don't understand), that for most atheists, our disbelief in a god is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one. right?

Until there is good evidence for the existence of a god, what should be our justification to believe one exists?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29119 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13364 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12641 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10797 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12429 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39574 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack