Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
RE: The Sects of Atheism
Quote: The Grand Nudger
(November 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Yes but if you wanna call yourself ‘more religious’ and claim to be a true atheist in the strict dictionary sense …. Then you’re not being true to what you really are.
Ummm...do you have any idea what happens around here in my house? 

Trust me, I'm true to the apprehensions of my amusing mind.........right or wrong - and everyone else here is forced to be the same through my insistence on ritual and the unwillingness to take me out of that comfort zone?

Now I’m losing you again. Smile

I just want to say that I like you atheists , which is why I’m here. In fact I’d buy you all beers and pick on you while I expect you to pick on me.

[Image: beerAllergy-1165339040-770x553-1-745x490.jpg]
(November 2, 2021 at 5:06 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: You know of course, that you are making a category error between various beings and Being-Itself.

Mmmmm... Nevermind.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 2, 2021 at 5:22 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 4:55 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Okay so basically here’s what we have so far in this topic:

1. We have atheists - the dictionary definition of the word. Some of them are a bit confused as to what their definition allows them to say in regards to existential questions linked to God(s).
2. We have agonist atheist - the dictionary definition of the words. These folks are open minded.
3. We have meat machines - these are atheists who are also known as materialists and deny VERY HARD the existence of anything immaterial or spiritual.
4. We also have one guy who says “Atheism is a belief in Gods” 😂

Thank you for making your position/ideas plain.   Great

However.

"1. We have atheists - the dictionary definition of the word. Some of them are a bit confused as to what their definition allows them to say in regards to existential questions linked to God(s)."

This is not how or what dictionarys are for. This is not how language works. You telling people how they 'Should' be thinking is wrong and your should, perhaps, stop doing it.

"2. We have agonist atheist - the dictionary definition of the words. These folks are open minded."

You seem quite hung up on how you think people should be using dictionarys. The dictionary is describing the people's actions/thoughts/beliefs, not the other way around.

"3. We have meat machines - these are atheists who are also known as materialists and deny VERY HARD the existence of anything immaterial or spiritual."

Again, you are indicating that you are the arbiter of what others should think. Many on this board and in this thread have explained to you that they are not denying things but have seen no evidence of the things being proposed.

If you have evidnce of anything 'Immaterial' then it'd be great for you to present it or links.

If you have evidence of anything 'Spiritual' then it'd be great for you to present it or links. 

Cheers.

Not at work.

That is not what a dictionary is for? Hahah. Really? So forgets words then? Are you the sect of “forget about words” in atheism? 😂
(November 2, 2021 at 5:25 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
Quote: The Grand Nudger
Ummm...do you have any idea what happens around here in my house? 

Trust me, I'm true to the apprehensions of my amusing mind.........right or wrong - and everyone else here is forced to be the same through my insistence on ritual and the unwillingness to take me out of that comfort zone?

Now I’m losing you again. Smile

I just want to say that I like you atheists , which is why I’m here. In fact I’d buy you all beers and pick on you while I expect you to pick on me.
Well...I like the sound of that.......and if that was the full description of your idiotic religion I'd be all for it.  Give me beers.  God demands it!

We both know it isn't...though..don't we?

I'd never pick on you if I thought you were my peer. Never. We'd crush these sub-people.... together, as peers, if you were my peer.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Popcorn gif*
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(November 2, 2021 at 5:30 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 5:25 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Now I’m losing you again. Smile

Well...I like the sound of that.......and if that was the full description of your idiotic religion I'd be all for it.  Give me beers.  God demands it!

Yeah at some churches the priest will hand out free coffee and beer on occasion. I don’t know where you live but churches are generous with that kinda thing while running free-meal-kitchens for the homeless.
(November 2, 2021 at 5:29 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 5:22 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Thank you for making your position/ideas plain.   Great

However.

"1. We have atheists - the dictionary definition of the word. Some of them are a bit confused as to what their definition allows them to say in regards to existential questions linked to God(s)."

This is not how or what dictionarys are for. This is not how language works. You telling people how they 'Should' be thinking is wrong and your should, perhaps, stop doing it.

"2. We have agonist atheist - the dictionary definition of the words. These folks are open minded."

You seem quite hung up on how you think people should be using dictionarys. The dictionary is describing the people's actions/thoughts/beliefs, not the other way around.

"3. We have meat machines - these are atheists who are also known as materialists and deny VERY HARD the existence of anything immaterial or spiritual."

Again, you are indicating that you are the arbiter of what others should think. Many on this board and in this thread have explained to you that they are not denying things but have seen no evidence of the things being proposed.

If you have evidnce of anything 'Immaterial' then it'd be great for you to present it or links.

If you have evidence of anything 'Spiritual' then it'd be great for you to present it or links. 

Cheers.

Not at work.

That is not what a dictionary is for? Hahah. Really? So forgets words then? Are you the sect of “forget about words” in atheism? 😂

You seem to have missed this part:

"The dictionary is describing the people's actions/thoughts/beliefs, not the other way around."

As my innitial opening comment to you was about my position about deity's and atheism was that, (But it's been a buisy thread so that's understandable) I identify as a 'Non-thiest' in that I see nothing to indicate anything supernatural exists.

Hope that clears some things up. Great

Not at work.
(November 2, 2021 at 5:07 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 5:05 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: First of all, those aren't different sects.

By your use of the work sect, someone who is not convinced bigfoot exists, and those that say bigfoot definitely does not exist are different sects of
"a-bifootism".

All of the first 3 of your 'sects' are all people who are unconvinced gods exist. They have slightly differing epistemologies, they don't belong to different 'sects'.

Number 4 on your list was either, someone pulling your leg, or a theist, or you completely misunderstood some point they were making.
My questions are not related to bigfoot or unicorns for the 100th time!

Yes, number 4 can be removed because Nudger and I finally understand each other now. And sects do exists here because the commonality that you all share is the word “Atheism”.

But for me, the question, does a god exist, IS related to unicorns and bigfoot, because they are all fall under the scope of episiotomy.

My reasons for disbelieving in gods, the afterlife, souls, is not different than my reasons for disbelieving in unicorns, bigfoot, and an almost endless of toehr unsupported supernatural claims.

It's not our fault that you are trying to saddle us with being part of a religion with sects, or whatever other religious trappings you want, and then wonder why we complain about your lack of understanding and your fallacious reasoning.

Here it is again. I do not believe that gods, the afterlife, a soul exist, because they are unsupported by good standards of evidence, and valid and sound logic.

These are the same reasons why I disbelieve in unicorns and bigfoot.

I am speaking about the topics and our positions, you are trying to force your understanding of dictionary definitions on us, then calling us members of different sects, if we don't exactly fit your understanding of the dictionary.

You do know, that the people that made up the word atheist, the ancient Romans, made it up to define Christians because they didn't believe in the right gods, right?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 1, 2021 at 6:05 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Hello. I’m new here. I’m a believer in God. In Jesus more specifically. 
In this topic I’d like to discuss some definitions and where this leads you as a person. 

Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?

Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.

On lack of belief, I hold the only logical position, viz there is no evidence for the existence of any god so therefore I hold the position that no god exists. And if a god were proven to exist, I still wouldn't believe, I'd accept.

On souls, they don't exist, end of. The christian concept of a soul is a corruption of Platonic thought, which is itself about 2,500 years out of date.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 2, 2021 at 5:33 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 5:30 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well...I like the sound of that.......and if that was the full description of your idiotic religion I'd be all for it.  Give me beers.  God demands it!

Yeah at some churches the priest will hand out free coffee and beer on occasion. I don’t know where you live but churches are generous with that kinda thing while running free-meal-kitchens for the homeless.

A good church...here. will give you just  taste of meth.  Or...at leaa they wont religiously stand in thar way.

That's why these poor fuckers are so fucked.  Their pastors have been telling them that demoncrats and/or faggots and/or sjws are to blame for their misfortune..when, in fact, that's not the case.

Its just that they were never real people, like me, real people who now how to exploit fake people.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29121 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13365 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12643 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10797 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12430 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39578 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack