Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies
RE: Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies
TheReal seems pissed that we're so happy. I'm attributing that to the fact that he/she "chose" Judaism - which as any "raised" Jew will tell you is not something you'd choose on the basis of whatever supposed merits the religion has or the happiness you'll get out of it. I mean, I commend Jews for not proselytizing, but the fact is that Judaism doesn't have shit all to offer, so they don't advertise, and so now I'm thinking this dude just has a huge wish to flagellate him/herself but doesn't want to go so far as to pull out the whips and chains and do the job.

(November 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm)TheReal Wrote: You believe that light became conscious - how is that not a fairy tale?

Hey guy...when you were figuring out how the universe and this planet came about...your series of events seems to be following a path more fucked up than the magic Kennedy bullet.

(November 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm)TheReal Wrote: My point is that because happiness is your God you'll forsake humanity in order to live in a virtual reality world indistinguishable from a drug.

Don't have a god. I don't worship happiness. I get on my knees for two things only, and one of them involves gardening gloves. Which, incidentally, is the reason I wouldn't forsake humanity (okay, maybe humanity, but not reality) for VR.

(November 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm)TheReal Wrote: You will become a machine - mark my word. We'll see what's 'real' at that point.

Did mommy forget to hide her copy of Blade Runner from you again?

(November 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm)TheReal Wrote: How is it waking up in the morning knowing your life serves no purpose? That you go around chasing your primitive desires, to have sex, to get stuff. What a boring, fake existence. Seriously, tell me what's more real. Giving yourself to the Lord in a life long pursuit of goodness, caring about the community, having a family - or following the atheist European model of vapidity?

Exactly HOW in the FUCK does Judaism give you some sort of purpose? I suppose all the laws makes it so you're too busy remembering whether you followed or broke one or the other to give a shit about anything else.

I don't know much of anything more real than having sex. In fact, it's so real that the emotions and feelings it inspires scare the shit out of most people and we spend lots of time creating fake social and religious constructs about it in order to control it.

Doin' it doggy style with someone you like to get sweaty with: real. Making yourself get married first (so we can start a family!!!1!) to have some sort of illusionary sexual control: fake.

I was going to say a bunch of intelligent things about your OP but it appears it was already deconstructed by our new present, resident philosopher. So instead...

Here you go, Rhythm. Big Grin I know you love me and want to give me a big sloppy kiss now.

[Image: 6416395021_dfd8697811.jpg]

The dolls are prophesying...

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 27, 2011 at 11:53 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: What a shitty alter ego. C'mon. I'd be more clever than that. And if I ever get so bad I'd spout that nonsense off as some sort of therapy, I'd hit the bottle, or my latest boy toy, instead.

Hey, I'm still trying to get my heart rate down after your naked in bed comment.

At my age that stuff is dangerous.

I'm not particularly intent on feeding this troll, but:

A) Even if the "I' is god, it is not a god who will consign me to burn in hell simply because I refuse to suck his dick,

B) As noted, atheism and secularism are quite independent of the views of specific secularists and humanists (Sam Harris, among others, claims that morality consists in a applying a hedonistic calculus of "well being" in a purely amoralistic utilitarian, instrumentalist fashion; I think he is profoundly wrong -- that doesn't make me not an atheist and not a secularist, but only one with a different view),

C) What we know today may not be what we know tomorrow -- and this is where secularism rocks all over theism, as it is able to grow and change, into something it is not now, whereas theism is more or less stuck with being what it is, till the end of time (or left spending its time in sophistic games trying to have its cake and eat it too),

D) Well, I'm tired, so I'm gonna quit, as I've lost the thread, and haven't taken a swig of beer in many minutes, but in a nutshell, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." If you think you have all the answers, poised midway between a past of great errors, and a future of greater completions, not only are you wrong, but you're incredibly naive and stupid.

"Le silence eternal de ces espaces infinis m'effraye." — Blaise Pascal
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Fuck, I got to this party late and I'd only be beating a dead horse now...

(BTW, gotta love those self-imposed comparisons to some of the greatest minds ever. Humility people, it's what's for dinner.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 28, 2011 at 12:19 am)belphegor Wrote: what i gathered from this is that TheReal thinks that atheists are all oversexed, play too many video games, and are just too damn happy. this will be their demise. they will all get chip implants in their brains that allows them to live out eternal fantasies on vacation islands with hot women.

Oooookay...so far, so good?

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

ETA: I know in hindsight that you represent yourself as a Jew, so perhaps you don't belive in hell, but that leads me to ask the question, what's the fucking point? Either God is going to punish you, terribly, in this world -- in which case my criticism holds -- or he isn't, in which case there's no point in listening to anything he says. I have a similar problem with reformed Christians, Calvinists, who believe things are pre-destined, and nothing they do will change their ultimate salvation. What's the point? If regardless of what I do, I'm destined to hell or heaven, regardless, on what basis is any action preferable to another? Hell, might as well get stoned and go on a bloody, hedonist killing spree if in the final analysis it has no effect. What on earth can these people use to justify behaving morally? I see none. I see the opposite. They have every motive to game the system, and fuck everybody and their grandmother over -- if they are ultimately saved or cursed, regardless, no harm no foul.

This amuses me.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Why is happiness wrong again?
Because God wants you to feel persecuted and be miserable.

He also wants you to be a cunt and spread that cuntiness all over every body around you.
Cunt
(November 28, 2011 at 3:01 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hey, I'm still trying to get my heart rate down after your naked in bed comment.

At my age that stuff is dangerous.

I apologize for the scary visuals.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 28, 2011 at 6:00 am)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Why is happiness wrong again?

Not happiness per se, but happiness that wasn't sanctioned by a deity is what he has a problem with.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 21 1429 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 3542 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5476 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 4305 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 3046 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6245 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26197 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
Heart Humanism shadow 10 2738 March 14, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8769 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27929 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13