Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if Judas didn't do it?
RE: What if Judas didn't do it?
(February 28, 2023 at 12:54 am)Tomato Wrote: I would love, however, to be presented with one single objective concept that every single person on the planet agrees to as being an absolute.
And they'd all be wrong. :-)
<insert profound quote here>
Wouldn't matter if they were all wrong (in point of some objective fact) if the truth-making property was consensus itself. I feel like we can easily point out times and things where every person on the planet generally agreed to something that was very wrong - in point of fact or in point of moral import - assuming there's a difference. The issue of subhumans jumps to the front of mind.

An objective concept isn't properly formed by consensus building at all, though I think a person would be surprised at how much global consensus there is about minimal objectivist propositions. That would be a relative concept. Things we believe, not because they're true, maybe not even because they are personally satisfying, but because many people in our societies believe them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 28, 2023 at 6:20 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Wouldn't matter if they were all wrong (in point of some objective fact) if the truth-making property was consensus itself. I feel like we can easily point out times and things where every person on the planet generally agreed to something that was very wrong - in point of fact or in point of moral import - assuming there's a difference. The issue of subhumans jumps to the front of mind.

An objective concept isn't properly formed by consensus building at all, though I think a person would be surprised at how much global consensus there is about minimal objectivist propositions. That would be a relative concept. Things we believe, not because they're true, maybe not even because they are personally satisfying, but because many people in our societies believe them.

I get your point. At the same time no personal existent truly has direct access to objective reality because that knowlege is always mediated by his or her subjective experience. Generally, knowlege people consider objective is considered so by imagining a third-person God's eye view.
<insert profound quote here>
(March 2, 2023 at 4:02 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I get your point. At the same time no personal existent truly has direct access to objective reality because that knowlege is always mediated by his or her subjective experience. Generally, knowlege people consider objective is considered so by imagining a third-person God's eye view.

A God's eye-view would be subjective to the consciousness known as God, wouldn't it?

Objective means that a consistent set of knowledge is available to any subjective observer who is willing to investigate it.  Unfortunately, the quantum world doesn't lend itself to objective knowledge.
(March 2, 2023 at 4:02 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(February 28, 2023 at 6:20 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Wouldn't matter if they were all wrong (in point of some objective fact) if the truth-making property was consensus itself.  I feel like we can easily point out times and things where every person on the planet generally agreed to something that was very wrong - in point of fact or in point of moral import - assuming there's a difference.  The issue of subhumans jumps to the front of mind.  

An objective concept isn't properly formed by consensus building at all, though I think a person would be surprised at how much global consensus there is about minimal objectivist propositions.  That would be a relative concept.  Things we believe, not because they're true, maybe not even because they are personally satisfying, but because many people in our societies believe them.

I get your point. At the same time no personal existent truly has direct access to objective reality because that knowlege is always mediated by his or her subjective experience. Generally, knowlege people consider objective is considered so by imagining a third-person God's eye view.
Cant truly employ the word truly, in a claim denying that any of us possess any such thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it's certainly the case that what alot of people take to be objective comes from imaginary gods. They're wrong, objectively speaking. That would be, if it were true, the subjective...by definition.

-There I go using true again. Are word true? What is word? Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Subjectively. Judas. Subjectivity.

If a being, even a deific one, is sharing a personal perspective, it is doing so subjectively.

If someone else is believing the other being's personal perspective, he is doing so subjectively.

God's subjective opinion is only believed to be objectively true fallaciously via the number of believers who each, individually, subjectively think god's subjective notions aren't lies.

Just as two wrongs don't make a right, neither do multiple subjective perspectives make for a single objective truth.

Subjectivity is as eternal as god's supposed non-objective constancy.

There are no objective truths in the universe of religious faith.

Thus sayeth Judas, subjectively.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 20, 2023 at 11:14 am)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(February 20, 2023 at 5:26 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Honestly, the whole thing in the Last Supper where Jesus outright states that Judas is going to betray him and tells him to do what he has to do (John 13:27)  only makes sense to me if Jesus sanctioned the betrayal in the first place.

Here is a quote I found from one of the old writings in my church. It interprets Judas' inclusion in the Passover, even statements that Jesus' knew about the betrayal, as attempts at redeeming Judas from that path.

"Even after he had twice pledged himself to betray the Saviour, there was opportunity for repentance. At the Passover supper Jesus proved His divinity by revealing the traitor's purpose. He tenderly included Judas in the ministry to the disciples. But the last appeal of love was unheeded. Then the case of Judas was decided, and the feet that Jesus had washed went forth to the betrayer's work."

Do you think that is something that makes sense?

Judas was hanging around Jesus, just like the others apostles. He saw the magical abilities of Jesus.

Was walking around town and casting out demons, fixing leprosy, fixing the vision of people a regular thing or was it something ultra rare?
Because if it is something ultra rare, what would motivate Judas to betray his friend, his very close friend with which he spent years for 30 silver coins?

On top of that, the story is treating Judas as an idiot.
The story says that at the last supper, Jesus used his magical abilities to know who was going to betray him.
Is Judas an idiot? Is Judas such a huge idiot that he did not understand what Jesus was talking about?

Think about the story a bit. See if it makes sense to you.
Look, jesus tried to save The Jew..and they knew he was magic, they were just bad that way.
(March 30, 2023 at 8:32 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: Do you think that is something that makes sense?

From what I recall, the issue wasn't that Judas didn't believe Jesus was the Christ, but rather that all the disciples believed Jesus had come to overthrow the government and establish a kingdom. So, the motive would be that Judas expected Jesus to resist arrest and kickstart the revolution. The regret he later feels for betraying innocent blood comes from seeing that Jesus didn't resist.

Here's another quote from the chapter above. 

"Judas did not, however, believe that Christ would permit Himself to be arrested... Since He had escaped so many snares, thought Judas, He certainly would not now allow Himself to be taken. Judas decided to put the matter to the test. If Jesus really was the Messiah, the people, for whom He had done so much, would rally about Him, and would proclaim Him king. This would forever settle many minds that were now in uncertainty. Judas would have the credit of having placed the king on David's throne. And this act would secure to him the first position, next to Christ, in the new kingdom."
(March 30, 2023 at 11:34 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(March 30, 2023 at 8:32 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: Do you think that is something that makes sense?

From what I recall, the issue wasn't that Judas didn't believe Jesus was the Christ, but rather that all the disciples believed Jesus had come to overthrow the government and establish a kingdom. So, the motive would be that Judas expected Jesus to resist arrest and kickstart the revolution. The regret he later feels for betraying innocent blood comes from seeing that Jesus didn't resist.

Here's another quote from the chapter above. 

"Judas did not, however, believe that Christ would permit Himself to be arrested... Since He had escaped so many snares, thought Judas, He certainly would not now allow Himself to be taken. Judas decided to put the matter to the test. If Jesus really was the Messiah, the people, for whom He had done so much, would rally about Him, and would proclaim Him king. This would forever settle many minds that were now in uncertainty. Judas would have the credit of having placed the king on David's throne. And this act would secure to him the first position, next to Christ, in the new kingdom."

I am curious. From which book are you getting those lines from?
Also, if it was you, wouldn’t you ask Jesus about his mission rather than just deciding “Let me go and tell the cops where Jesus is located.”

Again, I’ll ask. If Jesus points to you and tells you are going to betray him, would you betray him?
Does it make sense that Judas just ignores that at the supper and just goes on with his betrayal?
Would Judas or you just ignore it? You wouldn’t talk about it at all with Jesus?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Luther didn't know about Romans 1,1-17 SeniorCitizen 1 413 November 20, 2023 at 11:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why didn't JB join JC? Fake Messiah 28 3286 February 11, 2023 at 8:45 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 13392 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  At least she didn't blame "jesus." Minimalist 15 4141 February 11, 2016 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How would you Respond to ShockOfGod if he didn't Disable Comments? Shining_Finger 18 4405 September 16, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5328 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Wake up jesus didn't die for your sins dyresand 54 10774 April 19, 2015 at 1:01 am
Last Post: dyresand
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13641 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The Noahs ark and why it didn't happen Bad Wolf 55 15636 May 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheists rudely snubbed by Christian head of soup kitchen. Didn't matter. Ryantology 12 7030 November 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72