Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't JB join JC?
Why didn't JB join JC?
Some of the Gospels claim that Jesus was God and that John the Baptist was aware of that, so why didn't John the Baptist disband his cult and join Jesus's cult and become his apostle? I mean would you not rather be in the cult ran by an actual God than in someone's who is not a God?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Why didn't JB join JC?
(January 26, 2023 at 4:47 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Some of the Gospels claim that Jesus was God and that John the Baptist was aware of that, so why didn't John the Baptist disband his cult and join Jesus's cult and become his apostle? I mean would you not rather be in the cult ran by an actual God than in someone's who is not a God?

For a start, he got his head lopped off. People without heads almost never join cults (people without brains are another matter).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
But he was not killed immediately, and when he was alive he was in his cult and even had a successor by some legends.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
.........if you think john the baptist didn't join the jesus cult, then you're reading (new) magic book wrong......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Talking heads infesting my brain.

Take me to the river.....................
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 26, 2023 at 4:47 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Some of the Gospels claim that Jesus was God and that John the Baptist was aware of that, so why didn't John the Baptist disband his cult and join Jesus's cult and become his apostle? I mean would you not rather be in the cult ran by an actual God than in someone's who is not a God?

Because Jesus didn't exist, so his inventors used the extant (but dwindling) cult of John to give their cult a false legitimacy.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 27, 2023 at 4:50 pm)GUBU Wrote:

Because Jesus didn't exist, so his inventors used the extant (but dwindling) cult of John to give their cult a false legitimacy.

Well, that's a good Doylist explanation.

A Watsonian explanation would likely point out that this little event got in the way of John and Jesus doing much.
[Image: 424px-Giovanni_di_Paolo_-_The_Beheading_...roject.jpg]

When I think about the stranger parts in the Bible, I tend to look for both explanations, if only because it makes shit more interesting.

And, yes, I did choose that one specifically because it belongs to my local, The Art Institute, which also has a few other paintings by the same artist covering the whole beheading saga.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Because He had to GTG PRDQ BC AC/DC WAS ON THE TV IN RV
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 26, 2023 at 5:02 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: .........if you think john the baptist didn't join the jesus cult, then you're reading (new) magic book wrong......

Well, if we look at the Gospels, John the Baptist is a messianic figure in his own right

Mark 6:14-15 King Herod heard about this, for Jesus’ name had become well known. Some were saying,[a] “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.” Others said, “He is Elijah.” And still others claimed, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of long ago.”

Luke 3:15 The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Messiah.

And from what I see he had a sect of his own that had nothing to do with Jesus.

Matt. 9:14 Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?” Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.

Mark 2:18 Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Some people came and asked Jesus, “How is it that John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?”

Luke 5:33 They said to him, “John’s disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking.”

John 3:25-26 An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—look, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.”

Acts 18:24- 25 Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor[a] and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John.
My guess is that many of those disciples of John might have splintered from him after he joined up with Jesus, considering Jesus a heretic and keeping to John's old ways. It sure as shit happens enough with religions in the real world. Hell, the Universal Life Church even has its own schisms and it's basically a glorified ordination mill.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Luther didn't know about Romans 1,1-17 SeniorCitizen 1 373 November 20, 2023 at 11:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What if Judas didn't do it? Fake Messiah 195 10857 April 11, 2023 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 12321 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  At least she didn't blame "jesus." Minimalist 15 3982 February 11, 2016 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How would you Respond to ShockOfGod if he didn't Disable Comments? Shining_Finger 18 4236 September 16, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5046 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Wake up jesus didn't die for your sins dyresand 54 10235 April 19, 2015 at 1:01 am
Last Post: dyresand
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13174 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The Noahs ark and why it didn't happen Bad Wolf 55 15101 May 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheists rudely snubbed by Christian head of soup kitchen. Didn't matter. Ryantology 12 6923 November 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72