Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if Judas didn't do it?
What if Judas didn't do it?
Judas is proverbially a bad guy of the NT, so what would have happened if he didn't betray Jesus? Would Jesus' mission be a (bigger) success or would it be a failure?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: What if Judas didn't do it?
That's like asking what if my character Amidio does this instead of doing that.

He doesn't. He didn't. He won't because the characters are set as they have been written.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I recall a Borges short story in which Judas was the actual Man of Sorrows, rejected by world for his rational response to an out of control zealot. The idea's been around a while.
<insert profound quote here>
(February 16, 2023 at 10:12 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Judas is proverbially a bad guy of the NT, so what would have happened if he didn't betray Jesus? Would Jesus' mission be a (bigger) success or would it be a failure?

I was taught that Judas had no purpose but to betray Jesus - it’s what he was put on Earth for. Of course, when you have the audacity to suggest that that was problematic for the whole free will thing, the nun teaching the catechism class gets all cranky.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Indeed. Judas wasn't the bad guy, judas was a part of gods plan. More thematically, judas stands in for all of us (or, more specifically, all of them, the man is literally called judah) - our own hearts betrayal presaging the outward betrayal of others, and the remorse it engenders in us all. Factually speaking, though, the whole storyline is obvious fiction. Work it out in your head. There's this belligerant out there in public every day making trouble for rome. Everybody knew about it, even the locals hated his guts...and he's not hiding ...so they could pluck him anytime they wanted to. ......but they needed some rando to find him in a made-for-a-tv-movie scene that just also happens to be yet another opportunity for the demigod to comment on his worldview to the viewer?

No. It's a pretty straightforward retelling of exactly the same thing that every "prophet" of the ot was always droning on about as they got rolled by empire after empire aiming through them at each other. Judah has betrayed it's god to the foreigners.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 16, 2023 at 10:12 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Judas is proverbially a bad guy of the NT, so what would have happened if he didn't betray Jesus? Would Jesus' mission be a (bigger) success or would it be a failure?

We probably wouldn't know his name.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
We don't, even in the hypothetical, because it isn't his name. The utterance "judas betrayed jesus" is just another way to say "the jews betrayed jesus".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Jesus was on a suicide mission.

If Judas didn't do it, someone else would have been tasked with the job. Otherwise the whole story would fall apart.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My issue with the Judas fable is the price. Depending on the exact coin used, Judas got paid about $8000.00. Seems kinda low.

I think that if I was going to betray the son of God, I’d hold out for at least a principality.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Luther didn't know about Romans 1,1-17 SeniorCitizen 1 384 November 20, 2023 at 11:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why didn't JB join JC? Fake Messiah 28 3086 February 11, 2023 at 8:45 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 12659 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  At least she didn't blame "jesus." Minimalist 15 4050 February 11, 2016 at 5:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How would you Respond to ShockOfGod if he didn't Disable Comments? Shining_Finger 18 4308 September 16, 2015 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5142 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Wake up jesus didn't die for your sins dyresand 54 10324 April 19, 2015 at 1:01 am
Last Post: dyresand
  If the Exodus didn't happen, the Jews wouldn't put themselves under the Mosaic law Dolorian 57 13275 November 5, 2014 at 7:23 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The Noahs ark and why it didn't happen Bad Wolf 55 15445 May 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheists rudely snubbed by Christian head of soup kitchen. Didn't matter. Ryantology 12 6936 November 4, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72