Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Thoughts
RE: Random Thoughts
Here you pretty much have to work at the same place about 10 years to get up to 4 weeks of holiday. As for parental leave...we have the FMLA which means most employers have to give you some time off when you have a baby (usually the woman who gives birth though that's expanding to the partner and to adoptions) however, FMLA just means they hold a comparable job for you not that they are going to pay you while you are out.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(October 24, 2023 at 2:42 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Here you pretty much have to work at the same place about 10 years to get up to 4 weeks of holiday.  As for parental leave...we have the FMLA which means most employers have to give you some time off when you have a baby (usually the woman who gives birth though that's expanding to the partner and to adoptions) however, FMLA just means they hold a comparable job for you not that they are going to pay you while you are out.

Here, you qualify for all the stuff I mentioned above once you’ve been employed for 12 months, full or part time.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(October 24, 2023 at 2:40 pm)Jackalope Wrote:
(October 24, 2023 at 2:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Wow. Here, it’s four weeks holiday, 26 weeks parental leave, three days (minimum) bereavement leave, 10 days sick leave, all in addition to the public holidays.

Boru

None of that commie shit is required here.  At a federal level, one's employer isn't even required to provide rest or meal breaks.

I happen to work for a decent employer who does provide most of that, but a hell of a lot of workers don't.  I'm also fortunate enough to have my US domicile in a state where at least paid sick leave is mandated by law.

Commie shit rocks.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
The best thing about COVID for many here was the ability to work from home. No commute, no special clothing, no having to buy or bring lunch, no worrying about bad weather...

Overwhelmingly, companies saw productivity and morale improve but many needed that thumb on the heads of their peons and started demanding that even those who did better at home come back to the office so they could be micromanaged.

As they drone on about a work/life balance, they also make it nearly impossible.

(October 24, 2023 at 2:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 24, 2023 at 2:40 pm)Jackalope Wrote: None of that commie shit is required here.  At a federal level, one's employer isn't even required to provide rest or meal breaks.

I happen to work for a decent employer who does provide most of that, but a hell of a lot of workers don't.  I'm also fortunate enough to have my US domicile in a state where at least paid sick leave is mandated by law.

Commie shit rocks.

Boru

I agree, but this is the USA where we can't have nice things.
The company I worked for right out of uni used to observe some Federal holidays, but decided to switch them to the time period between xmas and New Year's day because most people took those days, anyway (before I was hired). Another company bought them, and towards the end of my employment, were talking about reducing the number of days paid off between xmas and New Years...without regard for those having been moved from the holidays. They also lumped sick days in with vacation days and called those days "personal time off." That made the whole of what one was entitled to so that sick time wasn't recognized. Once those days all burned up, one's insurance was dropped because you weren't working. I had planned on working 3 more years, until I was 65. This kind of shit, plus a promotion that was promised two years prior not materializing led me to punching out early. I was one happy camper when I talked to a financial advisor and learned that I could retire, right then.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 24, 2023 at 2:21 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: When I first went back to work after being a stay at home mom, I got a big surprise regarding holidays.  I was in South Carolina and my first day of work had always been a holiday for me in other states.  It was Memorial Day.  I asked if they didn't mean Tuesday because of Memorial Day being on Monday and was told that in the south they don't recognize 'that' Memorial Day.  Bit of a culture shock, but okay.

What about Confederate Memorial Day? I see it's recognized in SC.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
(October 24, 2023 at 8:00 pm)brewer Wrote:
(October 24, 2023 at 2:21 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: When I first went back to work after being a stay at home mom, I got a big surprise regarding holidays.  I was in South Carolina and my first day of work had always been a holiday for me in other states.  It was Memorial Day.  I asked if they didn't mean Tuesday because of Memorial Day being on Monday and was told that in the south they don't recognize 'that' Memorial Day.  Bit of a culture shock, but okay.

What about Confederate Memorial Day? I see it's recognized in SC.

But not a paid day off.  At least it wasn't back then.

(October 24, 2023 at 8:34 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(October 24, 2023 at 8:00 pm)brewer Wrote: What about Confederate Memorial Day? I see it's recognized in SC.

But not a paid day off.  At least it wasn't back then.

Fuckin cheep ass separatists, I should have known.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
14 years ago on this date and at about this time, I was being prepped for a bilateral mastectomy and the insertion of tissue expanders. Tissue expanders are a fun as they sound. Imagine someone putting rough grit sandpaper between your muscle and skin so that every tiny movement is uncomfortable. I get that they are to help prevent scar tissue but even breathing hurt.

Kind of surprised I am still around to have that delightful memory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2792 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 2345 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2720 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2543 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 6595 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 2392 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1350 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1403 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 992 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1242 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous