Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 7:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elon Musk
RE: Elon Musk
Kessler syndrome isn't a worry with such low orbits.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(July 12, 2024 at 4:44 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A SpaceX rocket has failed for the first time in nearly a decade, leaving the company’s internet satellites in an orbit so low that they’re doomed to fall through the atmosphere and burn up.

The Falcon 9 rocket blasted off from California on Thursday night, carrying 20 Starlink satellites. Several minutes into the flight, the upper stage engine malfunctioned. SpaceX on Friday blamed a liquid oxygen leak.

The company said flight controllers managed to make contact with half of the satellites and attempted to boost them to a higher orbit using onboard ion thrusters. But with the low end of their orbit only 84 miles (135 kilometers) above Earth — less than half what was intended — “our maximum available thrust is unlikely to be enough to successfully raise the satellites,” the company said via X.

SpaceX said the satellites will reenter the atmosphere and burn up. There was no mention of when they might come down. More than 6,000 orbiting Starlinks currently provide internet service to customers in some of the most remote corners of the world.

https://apnews.com/article/spacex-falcon...328e92fd59

I'm guessing they've stopped doing QC and full maintenance on the rockets, given how hard up the company is.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(July 13, 2024 at 12:27 pm)Pat Mustard Wrote: I'm guessing they've stopped doing QC and full maintenance on the rockets, given how hard up the company is.

With a LOX leak, they're lucky it didn't explode.

(July 13, 2024 at 1:33 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 13, 2024 at 12:27 pm)Pat Mustard Wrote: I'm guessing they've stopped doing QC and full maintenance on the rockets, given how hard up the company is.

With a LOX leak, they're lucky it didn't explode.

Depends on how you define "explode".  If you watch the second stage burn, there was a pretty violent sudden expansion of the reflective protective foil right before the ice crystals started forming out of the "bottom" of it.
Disappointing theists since 1968!
(July 14, 2024 at 4:38 pm)A. Secular Human Wrote:
(July 13, 2024 at 1:33 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: With a LOX leak, they're lucky it didn't explode.

Depends on how you define "explode".  If you watch the second stage burn, there was a pretty violent sudden expansion of the reflective protective foil right before the ice crystals started forming out of the "bottom" of it.

I haven't watched the video. On my own knowledge, I know that in the presence of even a little fuel and LOX vaporizing, the aluminum will almost certainly burn too. Aluminum is fuel is a highly oxygenated atmosphere. Perhaps the slipstream pulled the vaporizing LOX away?

A Japanese cruiser at the Battle of Samar had its aluminum superstructure set ablaze by USS Samuel B. Roberts, which out of all HE shells, resorted to firing starshells, which have oxidizer impregnated into them. LOX is much more concentrated than that chemical oxidizer was.

Also, IJN Mikuma was torn apart at the Battle of Midway when an American dive-bomber hit its above-deck torpedoes (which were aerated by LOX) and the explosion leveled the aft of the 600'-long ship:

[Image: 69a9efa2-a401-11ea-8fc2-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg]

[Image: Wsjm.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Sure hope the martian rations have a longer shelf life than musks public statements.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Elmo endorses Fatso out of unbridled self interest.
Elon Musk has announced plans to move the headquarters of X and SpaceX out of California, after the state passed a new law that explicitly prohibits school districts outing trans students to their parents.

Pink News
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 17, 2024 at 9:16 am)Foxaèr Wrote: Elon Musk has announced plans to move the headquarters of X and SpaceX out of California, after the state passed a new law that explicitly prohibits school districts outing trans students to their parents.

Pink News

Fuck.  He'll probably end up here in Texas.  Like we need another idiot with a microphone and money.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Musk Says SpaceX Will Send People to Mars by 2025 Heat 9 1768 January 30, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: mralstoner