Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why Agnostic?
RE: Why Agnostic?
(July 6, 2009 at 12:39 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:
(July 6, 2009 at 11:43 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: @ leo-rcc: you’re not the first to invent the fallacy of argumentum ad internettiam (“something is true if there is a website that says so”), but I reckon this was your tongue in cheek mode.

What gave it away? The smiley at the end of "Problem solved" perhaps?
Definitely, but also the hailing of Adrian of your remark as an asset to the discussion.Dodgy
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
For what it's worth, I don't like Dawkins' scale, because I do think it is making the whole issue much more difficult than it needs to be. To me the term atheist is good enough as a label.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 6, 2009 at 12:49 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: For what it's worth, I don't like Dawkins' scale, because I do think it is making the whole issue much more difficult than it needs to be. To me the term atheist is good enough as a label.
So does that mean that you dislike any scale?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
I guess so. I don't need any scale to explain that I am an atheist.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 5, 2009 at 6:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(July 5, 2009 at 6:12 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No because I don't accept I'm incorrect ... I think Dawkins' scale makes more sense than yours and I think the term agnostic atheist is wishy washy. I'm also getting bored of arguing it.
Yet you haven't actually argued why you think it is wishy-washy (or if you have I have missed it, apologies). What definition of agnosticism do you accept then, and why do you accept it?

Because the definition of agnosticism (whichever one it is) makes bugger all sense ... the agnostic is simply a sit-on-the-fence atheist IMO. I've posted before about it and we've disagreed (well there's a surprise). Combining the straight-forward concept of atheism with the crap that is agnosticism (at least as far as the two definitions of which I am aware) is bullshit hence "wishy-washy").

(July 5, 2009 at 6:25 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Do you really think that there can be a mid-position between "belief" and "non-belief"? I don't think it can be a three-way choice. It's an either-or situation, and whichever way you spin it, either you do believe or you don't.

I don't think agnosticism is a valid position so as far as I'm concerned it is purely between theism and atheism.

Kyu
(July 6, 2009 at 12:49 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: For what it's worth, I don't like Dawkins' scale, because I do think it is making the whole issue much more difficult than it needs to be. To me the term atheist is good enough as a label.

Now THAT (even though I think his makes more sense than Adrian's) I can agree with.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(July 6, 2009 at 8:42 am)Tsuyoiko Wrote: What are those presuppositions, and how are they "certain"?

In order to identify ("what") and evaluate ("how") the presuppositions which undergird a given set of beliefs, at minimum the set of beliefs must be identified (for example, there is no one universal set of atheistic beliefs; Solipsism, Buddhism, Nihilism, Scientism, Secular Humanism, etc. are possible atheistic beliefs). Once a specific set of beliefs are identified, the presuppositions can be identified and evaluated.

Again, I believe what fr0d0 is arguing—and correctly—is that the presuppositions which undergird theistic beliefs are no less 'certain' than the presuppositions which undergird atheistic beliefs, when they are drawn out and comparatively evaluated under their own terms.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
(July 5, 2009 at 11:44 pm)Arcanus Wrote:
(July 5, 2009 at 5:22 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: To me the god concept is [inseparable] from the moral question.

Whether or not X exists would seem to be [a not indissoluble] matter from whether or not X is a moral entity. If there is sufficient reason to affirm that X exists (by whatever criteria you hold), should you not do so? I cannot rationally deny that Charles Manson exists on the gounds that he is a morally reprehensible entity.
I am not saying that existence is depending on moral supremacy or vice versa. I am only saying that the moral question to me is an equally important one to ask about the god concept evaluated and therefore a scale without this dimension is rather unsatisfying to me. Making a scale for the existence question is a choice out of interest.

What I find fascinating is that most religious people without any reserves embrace divine moral, whatever it is, no questions asked.
(July 6, 2009 at 2:31 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: The agnostic is simply a sit-on-the-fence atheist, in my opinion. ... Combining the straightforward concept of atheism with the crap that is agnosticism (at least as far as the two definitions of which I am aware) is bullshit—hence, 'wishy-washy'.

Can a person believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe, given cogent arguments for the probability thereof? Is it possible for that very same person to admit not knowing whether or not such life exists, given the lack of empirical evidence for it?

If not, why not?

(July 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I am only saying that the moral question, to me, is an equally important one to ask about the god concept evaluated ...

The question is interesting and important—and practically impossible for any conceivable scale or chart, given the sheer number of deities that are and have been proposed. The scale would have to somehow account for the literally hundreds upon hundreds of readily identifiable ones, each with its own moral dimension to consider and evaluate. Compounding this are the sheer number of ethical theories that people hold; the scale would have to somehow account for all of these. To pull off a scale or chart that manages to accomplish all this?

Heh, I think it is difficult enough just trying to account for the various iterations of theism, atheism, and apatheism!
(Oscar Wilde)
(July 6, 2009 at 4:46 pm)Arcanus Wrote:
(July 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I am only saying that the moral question, to me, is an equally important one to ask about the god concept evaluated ...

The question is interesting and important—and practically impossible for any conceivable scale or chart, given the sheer number of deities that are and have been proposed. The scale would have to somehow account for the literally hundreds upon hundreds of readily identifiable ones, each with its own moral dimension to consider and evaluate. Compounding this are the sheer number of ethical theories that people hold; the scale would have to somehow account for all of these. To pull off a scale or chart that manages to accomplish all this?

Heh, I think it is difficult enough just trying to account for the various iterations of theism, atheism, and apatheism!
He, I do not walk that road of collecting god concepts like stamps in all variaties, colours, flavours and what-hef-joe-thingyness. So I need no scale, but warn me if some genius like that surfer dude invents a multi-dimensional lattice to nail the suckers. That'll teach 'm trying to create the greatest pan galactic freak show ever....for half a minute. Undecided
(July 6, 2009 at 6:00 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: ... but warn me if some genius like that surfer dude ...

Sorry, who? Am I detecting a cultural reference that this Canadian might not be aware of?
(Oscar Wilde)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9776 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1420 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6259 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3211 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3512 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 26558 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3805 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6265 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37854 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Agnostic: a pointless term? robvalue 206 36106 February 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist