Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albert Einstein the Agnostic
Albert Einstein the Agnostic
Found this quote on a blog and not sure what to make of it.

I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God
is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share
the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is
mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of
religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of
humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual
understanding of nature and our own being.

Sincerely Yours,

Albert Einstein
RE: Albert Einstein the Agnostic
Yeah, I think there are a few people who prefer the label Agnostic because it's less confrontational. Neal deGrasse Tyson has said pretty much the same thing Einstein is saying here. Not that he really disagrees with Atheism philosophically, but that he's not in favor of the way some Atheists present themselves publicly. It's a pretty reasonable position. I also don't think Einstein was particularly interested in religion. His statements about it are pretty limited. Sometimes it's a wonder to me that people make such a big deal about Einstein's views on things not physics. As though being a well known Genius about one thing makes your omnipresent.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(January 24, 2016 at 4:31 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Yeah, I think there are a few people who prefer the label Agnostic because it's less confrontational. Neal deGrasse Tyson has said pretty much the same thing Einstein is saying here. Not that he really disagrees with Atheism philosophically, but that he's not in favor of the way some Atheists present themselves publicly. It's a pretty reasonable position. I also don't think Einstein was particularly interested in religion. His statements about it are pretty limited. Sometimes it's a wonder to me that people make such a big deal about Einstein's views on things not physics. As though being a well known Genius about one thing makes your omnipresent.

What to you is "Atheism philosophically"?
(January 24, 2016 at 5:31 pm)MattB Wrote:
(January 24, 2016 at 4:31 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Yeah, I think there are a few people who prefer the label Agnostic because it's less confrontational. Neal deGrasse Tyson has said pretty much the same thing Einstein is saying here. Not that he really disagrees with Atheism philosophically, but that he's not in favor of the way some Atheists present themselves publicly. It's a pretty reasonable position. I also don't think Einstein was particularly interested in religion. His statements about it are pretty limited. Sometimes it's a wonder to me that people make such a big deal about Einstein's views on things not physics. As though being a well known Genius about one thing makes your omnipresent.

What to you is "Atheism philosophically"?

I mean Einstein wasn't against the notion there is no God. Even if he was an agnostic he didn't actively believe in God. So it's not like he disagreed with Atheism.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(January 24, 2016 at 7:47 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(January 24, 2016 at 5:31 pm)MattB Wrote: What to you is "Atheism philosophically"?

I mean Einstein wasn't against the notion there is no God. Even if he was an agnostic he didn't actively believe in God. So it's not like he disagreed with Atheism.

I don't disagree with atheism either. Don't like fundies though. I have a problem with the man-made religions.
(January 24, 2016 at 8:00 pm)MattB Wrote:
(January 24, 2016 at 7:47 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I mean Einstein wasn't against the notion there is no God. Even if he was an agnostic he didn't actively believe in God. So it's not like he disagreed with Atheism.

I don't disagree with atheism either.  Don't like fundies though.  I have a problem with the man-made religions.

As if there are any other kind...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It was a different time. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't phrase that way in today's world.
Why not, that's exactly how apologists phrase it today.  We're told that "professional atheists" are rebelling against painful experiences, and that the good atheists shut their mouths and know their place, you know, with humility and whatnot.

Albert there bought a little bit of the koolaid.  That shouldn't surprise anyone, given that a great many people still perpetuate this summary of atheism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Albert Einstein is tough to decipher.

Seriously, look at his quotes on the subject of God.

He has tons of quotes that would lead to him being a Theist, and others leading to him being an Atheist.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
Indeed, hence people's love of quote mining him.

I think I'd describe him as something of a pantheist, but in an extremely abstract way so as to be pretty much indistinguishable from an atheist.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9367 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1390 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5898 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3025 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3387 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25402 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3647 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37217 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Agnostic: a pointless term? robvalue 206 34651 February 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Chaplain turns Agnostic bladevalant546 0 1152 October 7, 2014 at 8:54 am
Last Post: bladevalant546