Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 7, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(Yesterday at 4:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In a stunning display of non-specific racism, Idaho State Senator Dan Forman told his Democratic opponent Trish Carter-Goodheart , 'Why don't you go back where you came from?'

Trouble is, Carter-Goodheart is a member of the Nez Perce tribe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...d03e&ei=60

Boru

Reminds me of a story of a guy waiting in line at a DMV and noticed someone behind them not speaking on the phone.

"We speak English in this country.:

"I'm sorry, what?"

"This is America. We speak English, not Mexican. If you don't want to speak English, go back to where you came from!"

"Lady, I'm Navajo!"

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(Yesterday at 5:04 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(Yesterday at 4:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In a stunning display of non-specific racism, Idaho State Senator Dan Forman told his Democratic opponent Trish Carter-Goodheart , 'Why don't you go back where you came from?'

Trouble is, Carter-Goodheart is a member of the Nez Perce tribe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...d03e&ei=60

Boru

Reminds me of a story of a guy waiting in line at a DMV and noticed someone behind them not speaking on the phone.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"This is America.  We speak English, not Mexican.  If you don't want to speak English, go back to where you came from!"

"Lady, I'm Navajo!"

Reminds of the old joke:

‘My ancestors came over on the Mayflower!’

‘My ancestors were here to meet the boat.’

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Quote:The Nature paper is not the first to find that conservatives are more likely to share stories that have been debunked, or that originate from fake news sites or other sources deemed “low-quality.” One common objection to such studies is that defining what counts as misinformation can be subjective. For instance, if the fact-checkers skew liberal or the list of fake news sites skews conservative, that in itself could explain the discrepancy in sharing behavior.

But study co-author David G. Rand, an MIT computational social science professor, said his team found that conservatives share more falsehoods and low-quality information online even when you let groups of Republicans define what counts as false or low-quality.

A previous version of the study, which was published online in 2022 before undergoing peer review, focused largely on an analysis of 9,000 politically active Twitter users during the 2020 election. It found that accounts that shared pro-Trump hashtags were both more likely to post links to low-quality sites — including those purveying falsehoods about the election — and more likely to end up suspended than those that shared pro-Biden hashtags.

The study didn’t examine the reasons for suspension, so it’s not clear that the sharing of links to dubious sites was the cause — just that it was correlated. Social media companies can suspend accounts or take down posts for all sorts of reasons, including hate speech, targeted harassment of other users, or because they turn out to be bots.

Since then, Rand said the researchers have bolstered the core findings with seven other datasets examining Twitter users, Facebook users, and surveys from 16 countries spanning 2016 to 2023. Among other things, they found that conservatives from other countries also shared misinformation at higher rates than liberals in those counties.

The research doesn’t prove that social media companies are totally unbiased, Rand told Tech Brief.

What it shows is that conservatives would face more content moderation than liberals even if both the definition of misinformation and the enforcement of policies were politically neutral.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...ensorship/
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(Yesterday at 5:52 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(Yesterday at 5:04 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Reminds me of a story of a guy waiting in line at a DMV and noticed someone behind them not speaking on the phone.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"This is America.  We speak English, not Mexican.  If you don't want to speak English, go back to where you came from!"

"Lady, I'm Navajo!"

Reminds of the old joke:

‘My ancestors came over on the Mayflower!’

‘My ancestors were here to meet the boat.’

Boru

[Image: raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.jpg]

Man sets himself on fire in downtown D.C. during pro-Palestinian rally

Quote:A man set himself on fire at Black Lives Matter Plaza on Saturday night, interrupting what had been a peaceful pro-Palestinian demonstration of nearly 1,000 people marking a year since the Oct. 7 attack in Israel that set off a devastating war in Gaza.

D.C. Police Chief Pamela A. Smith said in a statement that the man was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries that weren’t life-threatening. The fire, which Washington Post reporters witnessed, sent bystanders screaming for a medic and was quickly extinguished as two D.C. police officers rushed toward the man. One grabbed his shirt while the other grabbed a kaffiyeh on the street in front of him and tried to extinguish the flame with it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 5781 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 595 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1683 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37