Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 7:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
I am an orthodox Christian, ask me a question!
RE: I am an orthodox Christian, ask me a question!
(August 17, 2009 at 10:12 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: As I said to you last night on MSN... I still see 'divine simplicity' as an oxymoron.

Divinity if it exists at all needs to come about through simplicity. Divinity needs an explanation.

EvF
Again, that is simply ignoring completely what divine simplicity means. Divine simplicity means that essence and existence (or, essence and actuality/energy) are completely equal; that God is pure actuality. It means that God in his simple essence is non-composite, singular, and that all his attributes are equal to the same fact of his being. Since complexity is composition, God is therefore complete simple.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
If he's simple then in what sense is he God? How does he have a mind? How is he a "he"?

Minds aren't simple.

EvF
(August 17, 2009 at 10:20 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: If he's simple then in what sense is he God? How does he have a mind? How is he a "he"?

Minds aren't simple.

EvF
I've already answered that in many posts. I've made clear that God is not an intellect like a human is. Here, here, here, here.

Now, for both Guerilla Radio and you, here are some links to the Summa.

As to Gods simplicity, a long exposition from the Summa here.

As to Gods goodness and perfection, here, here, here. As to Gods love, here, here. As to truth and God, here.
The people who are the most bigoted are the people who have no convictions at all.
-G. K. Chesterton
If God's an intellect in any way, he still needs an explanation, intellects are complex they are never just there without explanation.

EvF
(August 17, 2009 at 10:50 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: If God's an intellect in any way, he still needs an explanation, intellects are complex they are never just there without explanation.
I have defined complexity and shown out of that clear definition (composition) how Gods intellect is absolutely simple. You have not defined complexity; you are simply working out of presupposition. Your argument really amounts to question begging. You define "any intellect"="complexity", and therefore since "God=intellectual", "God=complex". The question begging lies in your definition of "any intellect" as complex, while in fact I have put great effort into explaining how God is not a human intellect; human intellects are only analogous to the divine one. I have demonstratively shown from a rational working definition of complexity as composition, that the kind of intellect we are speaking of in God is totally non-composite and simple.
-G. K. Chesterton
I define any intellect as complex because any intellect we know of is complex and need explanation.

Please explain to me how God's intellect somehow isn't complex and doesn't need explanation. How can you know that his mind is somehow simple without knowing the mind of God? As far as I'm concerened minds are by definition complex... why? Because the ability to think and have intelligence needs an explanation! Such abilites are complex!

EvF
(August 17, 2009 at 11:18 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I define any intellect as complex because any intellect we know of is complex and need explanation.
No one has claimed that God is a human intellect or a human organism.
(August 17, 2009 at 11:18 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Please explain to me how God's intellect somehow isn't complex and doesn't need explanation.
I have already shown in my numerous posts about it that I have linked to, what the nature of the divine intellect is, and why it is non-composite and pure actuality, rather than composite and impure actuality.
-G. K. Chesterton
(August 17, 2009 at 11:28 am)Jon Paul Wrote: No one has claimed that God is a human intellect or a human organism.

I didn't say human intellect. I said any intellect. You say God's intellect isn't complex, but to be intellectual it must be!

Quote:I have already shown in my numerous posts about it that I have linked to, what the nature of the divine intellect is, and why it is non-composite and pure actuality, rather than composite and impure actuality.

You say you've shown it.. but if he's a mind it needs an explanation... and I fail to see how he somehow is magically different.

EvF
(August 17, 2009 at 11:35 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I didn't say human intellect. I said any intellect. You say God's intellect isn't complex, but to be intellectual it must be!
Again, begging the question that an intellectual nature equals complexity. I have made sure to clearly define divine intellectuality in my posts, such that they are immune from question-begging which only works so long as the question-beggings own implicit definitions remain unanalysed.
(August 17, 2009 at 11:35 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: You say you've shown it.. but if he's a mind it needs an explanation... and I fail to see how he somehow is magically different.
There's no magic in it. My explanation is rational and clear.
-G. K. Chesterton
Quote:Again, that is simply ignoring completely what divine simplicity means. Divine simplicity means that essence and existence (or, essence and actuality/energy) are completely equal; that God is pure actuality. It means that God in his simple essence is non-composite, singular, and that all his attributes are equal to the same fact of his being. Since complexity is composition, God is therefore complete simple.

If this is indeed correct, is it not possible for there to be more than one and perhaps an infinite number of these entities? And if not, what is preventing this from happening?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90915 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 6026 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question Astonished 105 20350 March 23, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7872 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Charlie Hebdo vs Russian Orthodox Church JesusHChrist 10 2623 January 26, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7559 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Question for Christian Ballbags here themonkeyman 64 17970 October 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Waratah
Wink 40 awkward Questions To Ask A Christian Big Blue Sky 76 36021 July 27, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6387 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej