Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God create the universe?
RE: Why did God create the universe?
It must hurt for GC to use a tool of science (technology) to post here Big Grin
(June 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm)Hoc est Corpus Wrote: And yet our planet sustains life,

Yes, IN SPITE of all the dangers that surround us, life manages to exist.

Quote: and most likely will for the next million years or so.

You think life will exist here for only another "million years or so"? Life will no doubt continue to exist until the sun blows up into a red giant and boils away the oceans a few BILLION years from now.

Quote: As far as I know we are in no immediate threat of black holes, exploding stars, comets, or asteroids.

Meteors have impacted the planet since it was formed. One was big enough to wipe out the dinosaurs. In fact, the asteroid Hermes passed by Earth at about twice the distance of the moon on October 30, 1937. There's stuff floating around in space that could kill the planet if it were to impact Earth. And it could pop up at any time. And there's nothing we could do to stop it. ( I can guarantee your praying would have no effect whatsoever.)

Quote: Maybe God created all that stuff for us to discover, and enable us to learn more about "him" by studying his creation.

Or maybe he didn't. I would say the "didn't" scenario is much more likely.

(June 25, 2012 at 2:53 am)Godschild Wrote: My view comes from my faith in God as creator, I believe that the harmful ultraviolet light from the sun was blocked until after the flood,

And I believe Tinkerbell protects us from ultraviolet rays by sprinkling pixie dust in the atmosphere. There's an equal amount of evidence to support either of these scenarios.

Quote:with the harmful light coming through after the flood these single celled creatures mutated into deadly ones.

Oh.... so they EVOLVED? So the polio virus was harmless until after the flood? And in any case, your deity must have created the single celled creatures and his actions resulted in them transforming into little monsters. So, he is directly responsible for the existence of these things. Nice try in attempting to spin this so your deity somehow isn't responsible for creating a living thing. You should work on a political campaign.

Quote: This is what's responsible for animals not being able to live long lives.

Elephants can live for 80 years. Parrots and tuataras can live for 100 years. Tortoises and geoducks can live for 150 years. Greenland sharks, bowhead whales, red sea urchins and koi can live for 200 years. The antarctic sponge can live for well over 1,000 years. And the Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish is basically immortal.

You would think a deity who creates a universe for people would give his most precious creation the longest life span of all. But that's not the case. Why would that be.....?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Sorry but I have to get this out of my system. This thread has been popping up on "Today's Posts" for a very long time and every time it does I have the same thought. If only to exorcise that thought I share it now.

Q: "Why did God create the universe?"

A: "To get to the other side."
(June 25, 2012 at 3:06 am)cratehorus Wrote: The bible says the earth is flat, we proved it wrong, christians just pretended the bible meant something different, so why can't christians today, just pretend the bible meant something different, and accept the fact that the world was not created 6000 years ago, this friday?

I've never seen the world called flat in scripture, please show me .

(June 25, 2012 at 9:19 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(June 25, 2012 at 2:53 am)Godschild Wrote: My view comes from my faith in God as creator, I believe that the harmful ultraviolet light from the sun was blocked until after the flood, with the harmful light coming through after the flood these single celled creatures mutated into deadly ones. This is what's responsible for animals not being able to live long lives.

That's nice, any actual evidence to back that claim up?

Or is this just another example of your wishful thinking?

(June 23, 2012 at 5:49 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Nope, still not seeing it. Put up or shut up.
Quote:MADE

And that means what exactly?

Surely you are not that dumb, if so explaining will not help you.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Godschild Wrote: I've never seen the world called flat in scripture, please show me .

A circle has only two dimensions. Circle is used several times in your scripture; sphere is never used. A circle is not a sphere. Perhaps you, but I think I will leave it to Drich, will exclaim that in the original Hebrew the word for circle could also mean sphere. Assuming the translation argument, you or Drich or some other ignorant bastard, has to accept the idea that the almighty creator of the cosmos chose as his pets, after the tower of Bable story, the ones that couldn't differentiate a circle and a sphere in common language.
(June 25, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(June 25, 2012 at 9:19 am)Zen Badger Wrote: That's nice, any actual evidence to back that claim up?

Or is this just another example of your wishful thinking?

And that means what exactly?

Surely you are not that dumb, if so explaining will not help you.

How about you give it your best shot champ and we'll see how we go.

And I see you ignored the first part of my post, he he he.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
[Image: 295420_374715142593664_828055105_n.jpg]

Link

We are just SO small!! Smile
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Actually this reminds me of you GC.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%...=2AQGzKIjL

Quote:IT sounds like a plot dreamed up by the creators of Southpark, but it's all true: schoolchildren in Louisiana are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real in a bid by religious educators to disprove Darwin's theory of evolution.

Yep, using one unsubstantiated load of bullshit to support another unsubstantiated load of bullshit.

Sounds about par for the course.

ROFLOL
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Sad really. More like a bunch of two year olds who just don't want to grow up.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(June 25, 2012 at 11:27 am)Thor Wrote:
(June 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm)Hoc est Corpus Wrote: And yet our planet sustains life,

Yes, IN SPITE of all the dangers that surround us, life manages to exist.

Quote: and most likely will for the next million years or so.

You think life will exist here for only another "million years or so"? Life will no doubt continue to exist until the sun blows up into a red giant and boils away the oceans a few BILLION years from now.

Quote: As far as I know we are in no immediate threat of black holes, exploding stars, comets, or asteroids.

Meteors have impacted the planet since it was formed. One was big enough to wipe out the dinosaurs. In fact, the asteroid Hermes passed by Earth at about twice the distance of the moon on October 30, 1937. There's stuff floating around in space that could kill the planet if it were to impact Earth. And it could pop up at any time. And there's nothing we could do to stop it. ( I can guarantee your praying would have no effect whatsoever.)

Quote: Maybe God created all that stuff for us to discover, and enable us to learn more about "him" by studying his creation.

Or maybe he didn't. I would say the "didn't" scenario is much more likely.

(June 25, 2012 at 2:53 am)Godschild Wrote: My view comes from my faith in God as creator, I believe that the harmful ultraviolet light from the sun was blocked until after the flood,

And I believe Tinkerbell protects us from ultraviolet rays by sprinkling pixie dust in the atmosphere. There's an equal amount of evidence to support either of these scenarios.

Quote:with the harmful light coming through after the flood these single celled creatures mutated into deadly ones.

Oh.... so they EVOLVED? So the polio virus was harmless until after the flood? And in any case, your deity must have created the single celled creatures and his actions resulted in them transforming into little monsters. So, he is directly responsible for the existence of these things. Nice try in attempting to spin this so your deity somehow isn't responsible for creating a living thing. You should work on a political campaign.

Quote: This is what's responsible for animals not being able to live long lives.

Elephants can live for 80 years. Parrots and tuataras can live for 100 years. Tortoises and geoducks can live for 150 years. Greenland sharks, bowhead whales, red sea urchins and koi can live for 200 years. The antarctic sponge can live for well over 1,000 years. And the Turritopsis nutricula jellyfish is basically immortal.

You would think a deity who creates a universe for people would give his most precious creation the longest life span of all. But that's not the case. Why would that be.....?

I hate that "we're special" bullshit theists pull. On top of all of what you said, cockroaches have been around longer than humans and OUTNUMBER humans and are far more likely to adapt to a worldwide catastrophe. Eagles have much better eyesight than humans.

Long before humans concocted these monotheistic myths of Abraham, humans have always credulously invented reasons to feel "special'. It does create a real safety in numbers that can have a benefit, but that does not make the gods real. The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years falsely believing the sun was a thinking god. That placebo of falsely believing the sun was a god acted like a sugar pill which did create the safety in numbers to help them get to the point of reproduction, but the sun was never a god.

Any human today who believes in any god today is fooling themselves in thinking they are doing anything differently than what caused the Egyptians to falsely believe the sun was a god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3879 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 16771 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23334 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4672 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7309 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9901 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1978 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 10653 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 34276 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 75476 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian