Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did God play peek-a-boo?
Did God play peek-a-boo?
Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

Which one is true?
RE: Did God play peek-a-boo?
Fundamentalists will claim "Borh". An anthropologist would claim that Genesis and the Psalms represent various understandings of the tribal deities that the early henotheistic Hebrews worshipped during the first millennium BCE. The Psalms, having been written by perhaps a dozen or more authors over the course of perhaps five centuries and Genesis having been composed by at least four separate authors with later redactions, each express various understandings of the different gods that the Hebrews worshipped with the god Yahweh eventually winning out. Later Jews elevated Yahweh above the realm of the Greek god Zeus and the Roman god Jupiter to become the Supreme God of all, the Creator of everything.
To the OP: 1) why do you care? & 2) what makes you think that finding a textual contradiction between an allegory and a song lyric out of 66 books makes you look smart?
<insert profound quote here>
(December 30, 2022 at 6:59 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: To the OP: 1) why do you care? & 2) what makes you think that finding a textual contradiction between an allegory and a song lyric out of 66 books makes you look smart?

The anthropology of religion is a legitimate area of study; consider the OP's question rhetorical.
(December 30, 2022 at 6:59 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: To the OP: 1) why do you care? & 2) what makes you think that finding a textual contradiction between an allegory and a song lyric out of 66 books makes you look smart?

Four Christians. 

1) Psalms and Genesis are both literally true.

2) Psalms is a song lyric and Genesis is literally true.

3) Psalms is literally true and Genesis is allegory.

4) Psalms is a song lyric and Genesis is allegory.
That's rich. The OP has nothing to do with anthropology of religion. It is not a serious question. She just thinks starting threads with juvenile observations is clever. And you making excuses for her speaks to your animus.
<insert profound quote here>
My animus? I will need clarification before responding.
(December 30, 2022 at 6:19 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Genesis 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

Which one is true?

Literarily, they can both be true. There’s no conflict in God asking a question to which he already knows the answer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Print the words in the Bible that don't appear in the dictionary:

enchant -l kjv.txt | sort | uniq | tr '\n' ' '

[Image: 1523304922082463745-fspdqnaucaip86m.png]
(December 30, 2022 at 8:31 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Print the words in the Bible that don't appear in the dictionary:

enchant -l kjv.txt | sort | uniq | tr '\n' ' '

[Image: 1523304922082463745-fspdqnaucaip86m.png]

Pointless and wrong. If you take out the proper names, most of those appear in dictionaries. ‘Whoremonger’, for example.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turnabout is fair play LinuxGal 15 1385 November 11, 2022 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When logic fails, falsely play victim. Brian37 9 1060 January 31, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8480 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65283 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  It's Time to Play...WHO'S WORSE THAN YAHWEH! Astonished 37 11295 September 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8538 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Did you know god is a lair so is jesus dyresand 18 4461 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ceteloguing the Tricks Theists Play Rhondazvous 150 21821 June 16, 2015 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Did God just admit to his followers that he's a psychopath? IanHulett 42 8313 May 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Sappho
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7679 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich