Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 5:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God create the universe?
RE: Why did God create the universe?
Well ultimately, to create Humans so that He would be worshiped.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well ultimately, to create Humans so that He would be worshiped.

And you don't question this deity's desire to have it's ego stroked?
(July 12, 2012 at 12:16 am)ElijahDrew Wrote:
(July 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm)Polaris Wrote: Well ultimately, to create Humans so that He would be worshiped.

And you don't question this deity's desire to have it's ego stroked?

Well I get to enjoy menudo, so no.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 12, 2012 at 12:37 am)Polaris Wrote:
(July 12, 2012 at 12:16 am)ElijahDrew Wrote: And you don't question this deity's desire to have it's ego stroked?

Well I get to enjoy menudo, so no.

Menudo? You are of course talking about the franchised Puerto Rican boy band, right.

Their only redeeming value is that once you turn 16 you are kicked out. Kind of like Logan's Run if you ask me.
(July 12, 2012 at 12:41 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 12, 2012 at 12:37 am)Polaris Wrote: Well I get to enjoy menudo, so no.

Menudo? You are of course talking about the franchised Puerto Rican boy band, right.

Their only redeeming value is that once you turn 16 you are kicked out. Kind of like Logan's Run if you ask me.

[Image: lg_menudo.jpg]
*Vomits spectacularly on keyboard*
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 12, 2012 at 2:13 am)Polaris Wrote: [Image: lg_menudo.jpg]

I've been intending to try that - but my bravery has limits. Perhaps if I didn't know what was in it. Big Grin
(July 12, 2012 at 2:13 am)Polaris Wrote:
(July 12, 2012 at 12:41 am)cato123 Wrote: Menudo? You are of course talking about the franchised Puerto Rican boy band, right.

[Image: lg_menudo.jpg]

Did the boy band name themselves that after the soup, or did the soup get its name after the boy band?

"Oh that band sounds as bad as a cow's stomach"

Or was the band thinking:

"We're as appetizing as a cow's stomach"

???

Oh I just realized this thread has been dead for a year. My bad.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
You know newbie, there is a warning notice near the end of the reply box on older threads. Am I babysitting tonight?
Because he did not!!... did he create him to enjoy us being tormented for eternity in a lake of fire or something!!

God is omniscient. When he created the universe, he saw the sufferings which humans would endure as a result of the sin of those original humans. He heard the screams of the damned. Surely he would have known that it would have been better for those humans to never have been born (in fact, the Bible says this very thing), and surely this all-compassionate deity would have foregone the creation of a universe destined to imperfection in which many of the humans were doomed to eternal suffering. A perfectly compassionate being who creates beings which he knows are doomed to suffer is impossible.

What did God do during that eternity before he created everything? If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled him to create? Was he bored? Was he lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium caused by a difference between what we are and what we want to be. If God is perfect, there can be no disequilibrium. There is nothing he needs, nothing he desires, and nothing he must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist. A perfect creator God is impossible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3879 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 16769 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23334 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4672 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7309 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9901 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1978 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 10643 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 34276 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 75476 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian