Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 26, 2024, 6:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I can feel your anger
RE: I can feel your anger
I'm pretty sure if you're able to explain why materialism is not a belief, I will get it. Give it a shot.
(July 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm)Selliedjoup Wrote: I'm pretty sure if you're able to explain why materialism is not a belief, I will get it. Give it a shot.

People have been explaining it for fifty fucking pages you dumb fuck.

You don't get it.
I always thought to explain it, you need to explain it. Maybe if you link to a post which you claim addresses it?

It sounds as if you don't get Christianity as if you did, you'd be a Christian.

You're a teenager? Why am I bothering? How old is everyone here? Is there anyone over 25?
Yes. Now fuck off.
(July 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yes. Now fuck off.

You're so grumpy. It's great. <3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Quote:It sounds as if you don't get Christianity as if you did, you'd be a Christian.

You owe me one internet for making the most stupidly arrogant statement of the week.

Quote:Is there anyone over 25?

Actually, both Min and I are both over 60. That may be why neither of us is willing to suffer fools such as your good self. Please go sit the corner with the other village idiots.

Quote:If you could reason with religious people there wouldn't be any (Greg House)
(July 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yes. Now fuck off.

All I'm looking for is the admission that materialism is a belief. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm interested in why atheists are so adverse to admitting to anything which suggests their position is not rational or 'enlightened'. I think it's a reactive response that 'belief' is only for theists, and given you oppose them you won't admit to any form of belief.

I woudln't feel annoyed if anyone suggested that my view was a belief, as I don't consider myself to be beyond how I rationalise my views.

[quote='padraic' pid='311271' dateline='1342493559']
Quote:It sounds as if you don't get Christianity as if you did, you'd be a Christian.

Quote:You owe me one internet for making the most stupidly arrogant statement of the week.

Good it sounds as though you understand the difference between understand and accept. Seemingly a rarity around here.
Or maybe it has something to do with you equating atheism and materialism, yet every single attempt to explain to you that they are not one and the same has fallen on deaf ears?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm)Selliedjoup Wrote: All I'm looking for is the admission that materialism is a belief. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm interested in why atheists are so adverse to admitting to anything which suggests their position is not rational or 'enlightened'. I think it's a reactive response that 'belief' is only for theists, and given you oppose them you won't admit to any form of belief.

Okay, I'll bite. I don't think materialism is necessary for atheism but I do agree materialism is a belief and it happens to be one I hold. Not for irrefutable reasons mind you. It is more of a bias or intuition on my part. So don't expect me to defend it.

I expect that we act implicitly on any number of beliefs which are not rational and which we may not even be aware of. However, I don't count belief in gods among those beliefs, implicit or explicit, which motivate me.

So, what of it?
There's nothing of it. I just respect you for stating it. I'm not surprised it's you as you seem to be honest in your approach. I admit I'm a shit-stirrer, it makes me despair that humanity commonly over-reacts to the previous regime/paradigm, and that's how I see atheism it's just a reversal which becomes the same as what it's attempting to counter.

I personally have no issue with atheism, just how the vast atheists present their perspective, it's reactive to theism that sadly comes across with the same vigour.

I don't think materialism is necessary for atheism, although it usually is present. All I'm stating is many atheists assume too much to be a given and present a holier than thou attitude.

(July 17, 2012 at 1:20 am)Faith No More Wrote: Or maybe it has something to do with you equating atheism and materialism, yet every single attempt to explain to you that they are not one and the same has fallen on deaf ears?

I have no idea how you deny materialism yet use Carl Sagan's quote. Perhaps it's a parody?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 7026 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 3306 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5662 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 16357 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3995 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy? drfuzzy 55 6976 November 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 29010 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Passionate anger purplepurpose 42 6308 July 4, 2016 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  I hate Church and still feel obligated to go dragonman73 20 4920 May 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 4371 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods