Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Where did the Jesus myth come from?
RE: Where did the Jesus myth come from?
(September 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Atom, I think the reason why you haven't got an substantial argument for mythicism in this thread is because you haven't demonstrated that you'd fairly evaluate our arguments. It would be a waste of time. One of the members here could write a lengthy case for mythicism as has been done several times in past threads and you'd just dismiss it with your appeal to authority gimmick.
This is a completely fair statement and concern. Can you point me to one of those old threads?
Christianity is grounded in history, the facts of science, the rules of logic, and verifiable biblical truths.
(September 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm)Atom Wrote:
(September 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Atom, I think the reason why you haven't got an substantial argument for mythicism in this thread is because you haven't demonstrated that you'd fairly evaluate our arguments. It would be a waste of time. One of the members here could write a lengthy case for mythicism as has been done several times in past threads and you'd just dismiss it with your appeal to authority gimmick.
This is a completely fair statement and concern. Can you point me to one of those old threads?

I can't remember where. I just remember reading it several times here.

In the absence of an argument presented here for mythicism, here's some materials you can check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4LvKvIWJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzOrc_kwcU4

Also, since Ehrman's latest book has received so much praise from Christians and atheists who don't know better, Doherty has a very lengthy rebuttal to his book (Doherty is one of the scholars Ehrman criticized): http://vridar.wordpress.com/earl-doherty...sus-exist/

Carrier also has several rebuttals to Ehrman which I posted a few days ago in this thread.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Atom Wrote:Professional historians writing for peer reviewed articles are prevented from concluding that Jesus was resurrected because of the assumption of naturalism that is an essential, and I would even say proper, part of their methodology. If the presupposition of naturalism is set aside, the resurrection can be deduced directly from the historical events acknowledge by most critical historians.

The problem with the resurrection is that no one witnessed it. Have a look at Mark, it ends with the young man claiming Jesus is resurrected and then the women flee telling no one about it. Witnesses? None to be found. Of course later on, the Gospels based on Mark (Matthew & Luke) give us erronious information like a birth story and witnesses to a resurrected Christ and then voila, Mark suddenly conforms with them.

The only thing you've got going as far as witnesses is good ol' Paul and his spiritual encounter with a light. Is there evidence in the Bible for a human resurrection? No sir.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(June 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm)cratehorus Wrote: Jesus was not a real person, so where did this Jesus myth come from? Was it based on a single other faith? Was it a combination of other faiths? Or was it completely invented out of nothing?

You start off with proclaiming that Jesus was not a real person.
Well, since you know that much, I believe that you should be able to tell me where the Jesus myth comes from, oh great scholar?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(September 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(September 1, 2012 at 5:47 pm)Atom Wrote: No conspiracy is involved, methodological naturalism is one of the philosophical assumptions used for most scientific inquiry. You can read about it here.

Atom, do you know what they call a supernatural phenomena that has been proven to be real and can be inspected by science?

They call it "natural".
What supernatural phenomenon are you acknowledging that you think science has not yet understood?
Quote:If ghosts were real, we have Dr. Venkmen style gadgets that could detect ectoplasmic readings to sense if ghosts were nearby. There would be an entire scientific field devoted to the study of ghosts. Ditto for faeries, ditto for magical spells, ditto for anything else.

Why?

Because if it can be shown to really exist, it can be studied.
If it can be studied, it can be understood.
If it can be understood, it can be explained.
If it can be explained, TA DA, it's natural.
I disagree with two of the above claims
"If it can be studied, it can be understood".
"If it can be understood, it can be explained".
This isn't the topic of this post, so I'll just mention time, dark matter, dark energy, and quantum particles like bosons.
Quote:See the "placebo effect" for something that sounds like woo but is real and studied by medical science.
I'm not getting your point here. I know quite well what the placebo effect is, but don't understand "sounds like woo".
Christianity is grounded in history, the facts of science, the rules of logic, and verifiable biblical truths.
My point, Atom, is that science and history don't have a predisposition against the supernatural. They have a preconception against what's not proven.

I mention the Placebo Effect because, on the surface, it sounds like New Age woo. Your attitude can affect whether or not you recover from an illness? Really? Yes, really. Wow, OK then, let's study this further and factor this effect in to all our medical reviews of the effectiveness of medicine.

If the Resurrection really were real, if there are multiple independent attestations of the dead coming back to life, if there were witnesses to zombies of dead saints walking the earth, historians would not be quick to discount that evidence. The fact is there is no proof of the miracles or events in the life of Jesus nor any attestations of it until at least decades after the supposed events from Christian sources and even these are hearsay and/or anonymous accounts.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:That's the whole point of peer-review; to weed out bad or inconsistent science.

H. L. Mencken pointed out that a similar tactic is used in theology.

Quote:Of learned men, the clergy show the lowest development of professional ethics. Any pastor is free to cadge customers from the divines of rival sects, and to denounce the divines themselves as theological quacks.

The main difference is that preachers use rhetoric and not facts.
(September 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: ...If the Resurrection really were real, if there are multiple independent attestations of the dead coming back to life, if there were witnesses to zombies of dead saints walking the earth, historians would not be quick to discount that evidence. The fact is there is no proof of the miracles or events in the life of Jesus nor any attestations of it until at least decades after the supposed events from Christian sources and even these are hearsay and/or anonymous accounts.

The testimony relating to Jesus' life, death and resurrection began immediately, not decades later.

Jesus wasnt arrested, flogged and executed based on an absence of evidence of His ministry. An "imaginary" Jesus didnt have anonymous people running to the Roman/Jewish with unsubstantiated hearsay claims.

Anonymous, uncorroborated hearsay presented 70 years after an event that never happened - that is your fantasy. That is your wishful thinking.
And furthermore, you are presenting this fantasy as "fact" 2000 years too late. Sorry.
Lion IRC Wrote:The testimony relating to Jesus' life, death and resurrection began immediately, not decades later.

And where's your evidence showing that this belief was anything more than a spiritual occurence in heaven?

Quote:Jesus wasnt arrested, flogged and executed based on an absence of evidence of His ministry. An "imaginary" Jesus didnt have anonymous people running to the Roman/Jewish with unsubstantiated hearsay claims.

?

Quote:Anonymous, uncorroborated hearsay presented 70 years after an event that never happened - that is your fantasy. That is your wishful thinking.
And furthermore, you are presenting this fantasy as "fact" 2000 years too late. Sorry.

I know this post wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to say that I personally use the Bible itself to show that teachings today don't reflect what the early Christians believed. Irony at its best in my opinion.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(September 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: My point, Atom, is that science and history don't have a predisposition against the supernatural. They have a preconception against what's not proven.
Scholars of Ancient history seek to determine probabilities by weighing data methodologically. For ancient history "what is not proven" is virtually everything, so if ancient historians actually operated from this preconception it would wipe out ancient history. What you said can't possibly be true.

As I thought you already pointed out, science by definition can't study the supernatural successfully. This doesn't disprove the supernatural. In fact there are a lot of things that science can't prove. Science can only draw conclusions about probability on a lot of subjects and many topics are inaccessible to science. Think a bit before asking. Smile
Quote:I mention the Placebo Effect because, on the surface, it sounds like New Age woo. Your attitude can affect whether or not you recover from an illness? Really? Yes, really. Wow, OK then, let's study this further and factor this effect in to all our medical reviews of the effectiveness of medicine.

The reason your earlier argument made no sense to me is that I wouldn't consider the placebo effect a candidate supernatural occurrence. After death out of body experiences is a better example. There are some pretty well documented cases, but the subject can't be studied methodologically for a variety of reasons, such as rarity of the event.
Quote:If the Resurrection really were real, if there are multiple independent attestations of the dead coming back to life,
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. This is especially true for very rare events.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suffer the little children to come unto me LinuxGal 2 679 August 7, 2023 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6984 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is this a disproof of Allah I've come up with? Atheism_is_True 5 669 July 12, 2022 at 5:55 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Jesus drink wine or grape juice? Dundee 68 5942 November 27, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7630 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14793 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12404 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4574 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Personification in Greek Myth Tea Earl Grey Hot 35 6863 March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What motivates theists to come here? robvalue 83 11214 August 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic