Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 8:30 pm

Poll: Negative reputation
This poll is closed.
Yes
30.23%
13 30.23%
No
69.77%
30 69.77%
Total 43 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative reputation?
RE: Negative reputation?
(September 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(September 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Well I'm perfectly happy with achieving my goal of exactly 35 rep, so I do hope nobody comes along and messes it up in some way.

I would have messed it up if I could. Big Grin

Terrorist!
Let's fight him over there, so we don't have to fight him over here!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm)greneknight Wrote:
(September 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm)Napoléon Wrote: It's because you don't post enough Vae/Sae/Vi/Simon

What? She's not a girl? Simon? Anyway, there should be some way to identify the gender of folks here. There should be a symbol for the gender. It's easier to relate to folks when we are sure if they're boys or girls.

More more than less.

(September 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: LOL, no. whateverist said he was shooting for exactly 17 and that he was pleased with the result.

...so I repped him to 18.

Confusedhock:

WTF?

Confused Fall

I don't know who I am any more.

Oh christ, now I'm up to 19. I really don't want to have to start thinking about who I have and who I haven't repped. (I probably did rep you Kichi given your notable rack and all. No offense, zenbadger.)

I'm begging you here .. no more rep!
Quote:Well I'm perfectly happy with achieving my goal of exactly 35 rep, so I do hope nobody comes along and messes it up in some way.

I was actually just about to give you a rep point for being such an all round froody poster and great guy Stimbo, but I shall respect your wishes and not give you any rep points. Lets all commit to not giving stimbo any rep shall we? Seeing as he doesn't want any more.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

I have started a flame war!!!!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

I'm jumping in because I can't be arsed to read the entire thread.

I generally avoid the rep system. I think there are multiple ways of viewing what the intent behind the rep system is. Some look to it as a kind of measuring stick. I look at it more along the lines of kudos, a way of providing support, encouragement and in some sense feedback. I think this last is what those in favor are perhaps looking for. I also participate on another forum that has neither rep points nor kudos, and it affects the dynamic. In particular, without kudos, there are a lot more of what I believe are termed "fluff" posts, posts solely to give another recognition. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; it results in a lot of very personal interaction, as well as mayhem, which would not likely occur with a kudo system.

And there are things I don't like about the rep system, my own rep points notwithstanding. My main problem with it is a) that it's highly nonlinear, and b) is given out for unpredictable reasons. Regarding "b," it's certainly everybody's right to give rep points for things they value or relate to what they value, but that makes it less a reliable indicator of merit (if that's what people interpret it as, I don't know; I know I have some questionable rep points). The nonlinearity of it bothers me more. While it's certainly true, I think, that certain "types" are more likely to attract rep points than others, and in particular non-atheists are less likely to be rep'd than atheists, that's a minor quibble. What I find most problematic is that, at least to my eyeballing estimate, older posters receive fewer reputation points for a given output than newer posters. In my estimate, rep points per post peaks in the 500-1,000 post range, and slacks after that. And while many older posters have ginormous rep points, imho, it appears they have to work harder for each point than a newer poster.

I don't know. Maybe part of it is my shy and reserved nature that makes me reluctant to tap another on the shoulder and say, "Hey, I like you."

That being said, those who feel I have unfairly slighted them are welcome to PM me their best offer and we'll see if we can work something out.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 9, 2012 at 4:25 am)Homo Sapiens Wrote:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Not a big accomplishment. Starting a flame war on the internet is like shooting fish in a barrel only easier.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

*Slaps my banhammer against my palm repeatedly

Don't push it, or would you like your name in pink? Wink

[/jk]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 9, 2012 at 8:54 am)Kayenneh Wrote:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

*Slaps my banhammer against my palm repeatedly

Don't push it, or would you like your name in pink? Wink

[/jk]

nah i was really amazed how people get "carried away"
it was just a simple question.But its interesting to read others opinion Tiger
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

(September 9, 2012 at 9:15 am)Homo Sapiens Wrote: it was just a simple question.But its interesting to read others opinion Tiger

It always is, isn't it? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kudos/reputation LadyForCamus 69 13917 March 3, 2016 at 8:41 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Is there a way to just delete a reputation rating one has given to someone? Pyrrho 22 6102 May 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Reputation Zazzy 49 11462 September 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Negative Reputation Loading Please Wait 22 6845 March 17, 2012 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  What is reputation? Fluké 28 8671 May 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc