Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change Kudos to Likes?
RE: Change Kudos to Likes?
(November 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm)jonb Wrote: What about a anti button for the people who provide time and money to the forum as a little incentive, while we free loaders can remain happy with our slightly more basic service?

The way that is handled on a lot of sites is non-contributors get commercials between the posts. Speaking of which, I have a paypal account, to which address does one send a small donation?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Upvotes and rep points are an integral determinant of the social fabric of a forum. I've never seen negativity as a socially constructive force. Criticism, yes; negative devoid of content, no.

Kudo and rep points are like the prime directive of a forum; best not fuck with them unless you're Kirk.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Oh well we will carry on with the communism then. No privileges for those that put more in, and no libertarianism, because we cannot trust those with privilege not to abuse their power.
(November 1, 2012 at 11:26 am)Fryslân Wrote: How about you take down the whole Kudo system? What is it good for anyway?

It can serve as many purposes as there are users, more or less. Ok that's something of an exaggeration, but personally, I find it a convenient shorthand to acknowledge a post that may be directed at me without having to post a quoted reply, which may come several pages after the original post, given the way this lot can avalanche sometimes. The usual purpose, for which it was designed, is again a shorthand for indicating that you like or agree with someone's words, with the option to expand in a reply of your own.

(November 1, 2012 at 11:26 am)Fryslân Wrote: By the way, there is no real anti-kudo button to dislike this post!

Yes there is, it's the thumb-up button. You simply don't click it. If you really want to express dislike, it's only fair to explain why in a post of your own.

Incidentally, the singular form of the word 'kudos' is - 'kudos'. The word means "fame or renown" and is of Greek derivation, 19th century.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Upvotes and rep points are an integral determinant of the social fabric of a forum. I've never seen negativity as a socially constructive force. Criticism, yes; negative devoid of content, no.

Kudo and rep points are like the prime directive of a forum; best not fuck with them unless you're Kirk.

Or Piccard... Tongue

I like the Kudos buttons. IF I like what has been said = kudos. IF I disagree = won't touch the bloody thing, IF I agree and can not add anything to the conversation/ discussion at hand = kudos.

How hard do you want to make it?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I've actually been spoiled by the kudos button. Over at JNE forums, I've had to ask for a similar device to be installed because I missed having the ability to thumb-up a post as a way of saying "nice one" or similar. What we got was something of a stopgap compromise, due to software limitations as I understand it. Anyway, maybe the system here can be improved or overhauled, maybe it even needs it and maybe in the future that will happen. For the here and now, though, I suggest that anyone who for whatever reason dislikes the facility doesn't use it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Agreed.

Oh hang on.... I just kudosed you post... Sad
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
*Likes the Kudo button
Sum ergo sum
(November 2, 2012 at 9:46 am)Stimbo Wrote: I've actually been spoiled by the kudos button. Over at JNE forums, I've had to ask for a similar device to be installed because I missed having the ability to thumb-up a post as a way of saying "nice one" or similar. What we got was something of a stopgap compromise, due to software limitations as I understand it. Anyway, maybe the system here can be improved or overhauled, maybe it even needs it and maybe in the future that will happen. For the here and now, though, I suggest that anyone who for whatever reason dislikes the facility doesn't use it.

The thing is, a forum with a like button, or no like button, or a forum with a dislike button, they all affect the social dynamic different ways. My other forum has neither reputation or like button, so you express things in words and images instead of kudos. It seems to result in a more intensely personal experience, and also serves as additional energy adding to the diversification of content in a thread. Maybe too personal. It's part of the ethos in addition to being a side effect of structure that people are nicer and gentler to each other there. As a consequence, people who are aggressive, combative or competitive have a more difficult fit. This is just my opinion, but I think that results in a less capable and smaller stable of debaters, with consequences for serious threads. So my time on that forum is fun, frivolous, artsy and personal. My time here is more intellectually intense and verbally challenging. Over time my preference shifts, and I'm currently expending more time and energy here.

It's not that a dislike button, or no kudos, would ruin a forum, but I think it would change it. It wouldn't be so much better or worse as simply different. That fact alone may argue against big changes. People have become stable communities here because of the resulting dynamic. A change like adding a dislike button would change that, and some regulars wouldn't like the change or adapt to it, and quite a few would leave. But then, some less active regulars might become more so, and a new crowd come and stay. It's neither saving or destroying what we have; but it would change it.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I wonder what it would be like if there was a "dislike" button but no "like" button? A different experience to just having a "like" button I think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition Poll for username change Silver 17 2659 March 7, 2021 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Silver
Sad Me no like change. Me sad Pat Mustard 12 1616 September 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Giving kudos no longer available on mobile version? Silver 4 1390 May 29, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Silver
  My Kudos brewer 7 1997 July 21, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  OMG, I want to change my username again! Silver 52 12236 July 10, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You already gave kudos - wrongly so abaris 7 2122 May 22, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Shoutbox Kudos! Edwardo Piet 4 1464 April 11, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Kudos/reputation LadyForCamus 69 15078 March 3, 2016 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Atheist Forums Must Change Cinjin 47 9363 January 30, 2016 at 8:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can We Have Specific Kudos? Rhondazvous 73 12435 January 22, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13