Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof that God doesn't exist
RE: Proof that God doesn't exist
Sure, if we all deserved it, whats the alternative?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
DoubtVsFaith Wrote:You still haven't disproved that Jesus is God incarnate and that God created the universe. What Jesus is saving us from could mean anything if it's all allegory.

(November 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: The fact that Paul, who was in contact with Christ Jesus, tells us that Adam was literal, either shows that Paul was making up stuff (because our assumption here is that Genesis is allegorical) OR that Jesus himself was telling him Adam was literal, which means that Jesus was wrong i.e. he wasn't divine in that case.
If it's allegorical then the concept of "divine" might be completely different too. Maybe a divine God can lie? Maybe a divine God can be wrong? Maybe omnipotence and omniscience are allegorical too. Like I said, maybe everything is allegorical apart from the fact that Jesus is God incarnate and God created the universe.

Quote: Then we also get Jesus himself making an implicit reference to creation and how the first humans were Adam & Eve.
Could be allegory. You haven't disproved that.

Quote: Given that in this thread we have granted the bulk of the Christian god's claims but modified it to say Genesis is allegorical, I'd say that these couple of things show Jesus wasn't god.
I'm not suggesting that only Genesis might be allegory. I'm saying that it is logically possible that everything in the Bible is allegory except the fact that God created the universe and Jesus is God incarnate. And so, Jesus could also be God incarnate but everything else about Jesus was allegory, maybe even the miracles. Maybe he just has God's mind and he is God in human form, but he can't do anything that God can do?

It's all logically possible, therefore you haven't disproved it.

Quote:Saying "God works in mysterious ways" makes the Christian sound like a Pantheist. The Christian claims to have a relationship with the Almighty Creator of the Cosmos whereas the Pantheist doesn't, but yet the Christian has to shrug and cop out with the "mysterious ways" line. I find that incredibly laughable really. So laughable in fact that the hilarity can be portrayed through memes.

Yes, it's laughable but once again my point remains: Your own incredulity isn't disproof. If we can conceive of a logically possible God that created the universe and a logically possible Jesus as that God incarnate then it isn't disproved.

Are you attempting to disprove every conceivable form of Christianity believable by an individual or just certain forms? I reckon that you can do the latter but not the former.

Quote:Arguably, both these examples also show he wasn't divine.
Not if divinity is allegory.
DvF Wrote:I'm not suggesting that only Genesis might be allegory. I'm saying that it is logically possible that everything in the Bible is allegory except the fact that God created the universe and Jesus is God incarnate. And so, Jesus could also be God incarnate but everything else about Jesus was allegory, maybe even the miracles. Maybe he just has God's mind and he is God in human form, but he can't do anything that God can do?

If the entire Bible is allegory then how can we determine there was even an historical Jesus? There would be no way of telling what is real about Jesus because he's obviously so intertwined with everything else that's allegorical in the NT.

DvF Wrote:Are you attempting to disprove every conceivable form of Christianity believable by an individual or just certain forms? I reckon that you can do the latter but not the former.

I was trying to disprove it as a whole, but it seems like everytime you turn up the "allegory knob" and change the allegory content closer to 100% to discredit my argument (which by the way is called moving the goal posts) then technically I had only disproved the breed of Christianity that allowed x% of allegory. Except you can only avoid the arguments via allegory-incrementation for so long before you yourself start producing impossible scenarios that show Christianity is not the truth:

Quote:Not if divinity is allegory.

How can Jesus literally be God incarnate but allegorically hold this divinity?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(November 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: If the entire Bible is allegory then how can we determine there was even an historical Jesus?
I'm not saying we can. But that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Absence of evidence for the existence of something is not proof of non-existence. You still haven't disproved it. Are you simply trying to make a convincing argument or actually trying to disprove Christianity? Because the OP seems to suggest that you think you are disproving Christianity.

I believe that some forms of Christianity may be able to be disproved, but not all, and that is what I am trying to demonstrate.

Quote: There would be no way of telling what is real about Jesus because he's obviously so intertwined with everything else that's allegorical in the NT.
Irrelevant. You are giving good reasons to believe that it's all nonsense, you're not disproving it.

Quote:I was trying to disprove it as a whole, but it seems like everytime you turn up the "allegory knob" and change the allegory content closer to 100% to discredit my argument (which by the way is called moving the goal posts) then technically I had only disproved the breed of Christianity that allowed x% of allegory.

Yes, moving the goal posts is exactly what I am doing. And yes, it is ridiculous, and yes, you give convincing reasons for why the Bible is all nonsense. But I am simply moving the goal posts deliberately despite the fact that I know it's ridiculous in order to show that whether it's ridiculous or not you still can't disprove it.

Quote:Except you can only avoid the arguments via allegory-incrementation for so long before you yourself start producing impossible scenarios that show Christianity is not the truth:

Some interpretations of Christianity can be disproved IMO. Not all, that's what I am trying to demonstrate.
Quote:How can Jesus literally be God incarnate but allegorically hold this divinity?

Because if divinity is allegorical then God isn't necessarily "divine" in a sense that we use the word. He could be powerful enough to create the universe but not omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent or divine. "Omniscience", "omnipotence", "omnipresence" and "divinity" could all be allegory. So Jesus being God incarnate could just mean that the God who created the universe embodied himself in the man called "Jesus Christ".
(November 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Sure, if we all deserved it, whats the alternative?
The alternative is what God has done through Jesus Christ.

Are you familiar with the story of Barabbas?

Barabbas, a convicted murderer and rebel against the Roman government is set free and Jesus pays the price. Rebels against Rome were often crucified to make an example of, Barabbas goes free even though he's guilty, and Jesus takes the penalty.

(you can read about this in Mark 15)

That's the alternative....God shows not only his justice but His mercy as well.
I'm not interested in that kind of "mercy" Jeff. It's disgusting, and in no way related to mercy or justice. Meh, who knows, maybe it's a glitch, but my drive for self preservation doesn't get tweaked by this kind of thing so there isn't any leverage to be had here.
(Any judge who made such a call would quickly be relieved of his position in our system, don't you think? I think I prefer our system.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
we can say for sure is that it did not happen there.[/quote]

Forget the words God willed for a second. You've forgotten that his first will (the universe) is returning an explanation that we now call evolution. Assuming we're not being deceived, this dictates that God's words are allegorical.

Sorry - but until YOU can prove the existence of a god - to have willed anything - the words of the bible were written by HUMANS - and they are simply an example of ancient myth and legends of the people of the time.

TO claim that the bible is allegory - then calls every word in the bible into question - is the story of the christ an allegory - since there is NO mention of him in the historical record of his supposed time?

Once you have called into question any part of the bible - then the rest must be proven with sources from outside the bible - since the bible CANNOT be claimed to be the inerrant word of a god if you agree it is an allegory

AND - it is indeed possible to look at the bible - and provide a list of claims about the GODS (THere are many more than just the three xtian ones) in the bible - and know that they cannot ALL be true for the same being.
(November 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: The alternative is what God has done through Jesus Christ.

Are you familiar with the story of Barabbas?

Barabbas, a convicted murderer and rebel against the Roman government is set free and Jesus pays the price. Rebels against Rome were often crucified to make an example of, Barabbas goes free even though he's guilty, and Jesus takes the penalty.

(you can read about this in Mark 15)

That's the alternative....God shows not only his justice but His mercy as well.

Really? I don't think you could have shown a worse example of his mercy. God has a really bad track record with those who are 'rebels'. Didn't he have just about every 'rebellious' population killed off in the OT?
(November 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: That's the alternative....God shows not only his justice but His mercy as well.

So I can murder my way right trough my town and get set free because someone makes a sacrifice so I can be free?

That`s not mercy, it`s inmoral bullshit.
(November 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: So I can murder my way right trough my town and get set free because someone makes a sacrifice so I can be free?

That`s not mercy, it`s inmoral bullshit.

Jesus say to love you enemy, etc.

Isn't that a bit too forgiving? Maybe you really can get away with murder (so long as the victim isn't a straight True Christian™)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 43427 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1412 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12746 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  So, why doesn't Scripture uniquely endorse a specific denomination ? vorlon13 36 10886 November 22, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Cod
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 666 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Proof that there is no God Nihilist Virus 10 2410 March 31, 2017 at 1:58 am
Last Post: ronedee
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19676 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I Have Proof the the Christian God Does Not and Cannot Eist Rhondazvous 89 15107 July 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 48888 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
Shocked Proof that god, exists. Checkmate atheists! Christian Poe-try 25 8240 May 31, 2016 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter