Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 4:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If homosexuality were preventable should it be prevented?
RE: If homosexuality were preventable should it be prevented?
(March 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm)Question Mark Wrote:
(March 2, 2013 at 1:01 pm)A Theist Wrote: Unnatural = Defies natural physical biology.

Homosexuality = Our bodies are not constructed for same gender sex.

Homosexuality = Unnatural, even for animals.

Illogical = Homosexuality is natural.

But it doesn't defy our body's physiology, or else it wouldn't work, gay people wouldn't be able to orgasm. And it does work, they do orgasm. Therefore it does not defy our natural physiology.

You need to stop applying your own definitions to things. "Natural = occurs in nature", that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change.
Quote:But it doesn't defy our body's physiology, or else it wouldn't work, gay people wouldn't be able to orgasm. And it does work, they do orgasm. Therefore it does not defy our natural physiology.
So what...gays have orgasms. That doesn't prove it's natural. It still defies natural physical biology.

Quote:You need to stop applying your own definitions to things.
...and you need to stop applying your own social ideology to things.

Quote: "Natural = occurs in nature", that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change
Unnatural = Defies natural physical biology, " that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change."
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(March 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm)A Theist Wrote: Unnatural = Defies natural physical biology, " that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change."

Yep, just keep saying it. That's totally likely to make it more true.

Go check my counterarguments on the previous page, please. I'd be very interested in your response.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
@A Theist

Why should what is "natural" or "unnatural" determine what is "good" or "bad"?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(March 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm)Question Mark Wrote: But it doesn't defy our body's physiology, or else it wouldn't work, gay people wouldn't be able to orgasm. And it does work, they do orgasm. Therefore it does not defy our natural physiology.

You need to stop applying your own definitions to things. "Natural = occurs in nature", that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change.
Quote:But it doesn't defy our body's physiology, or else it wouldn't work, gay people wouldn't be able to orgasm. And it does work, they do orgasm. Therefore it does not defy our natural physiology.
So what...gays have orgasms. That doesn't prove it's natural. It still defies natural physical biology.

Quote: "Natural = occurs in nature", that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change
Unnatural = Defies natural physical biology, " that's a basic principle that simply rewriting does not change."

Don't give us this "neutral" facade on this issue and try to cop out to "it isn't natural". That is your testosterone talking and your religion talking. There is no script to human sexuality, it is a range, not an absolute. Your hangups about gays are yours, not theirs.

Quote: It still defies natural physical biology.

No, you merely find same sex yucky. Too fucking bad. Grow up. You don't want to have sex with the same sex, then dont. But this bullshit of masking your phobia behind science does not wash here.
(March 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(March 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm)Question Mark Wrote: But it doesn't defy our body's physiology, or else it wouldn't work, gay people wouldn't be able to orgasm. And it does work, they do orgasm. Therefore it does not defy our natural physiology.

It's not a social ideology, it's basic observation of nature. Why when the truth is pointed out to you do you just close you eyes, shut your ears, and bleat the same crap over and over again?

Homosexuality has been scientifically proven to be a perfectly natural thing, and you saying "it defies physical biology" when I and others have consistently pointed out to you that it just bloody well doesn't, hasn't made the slightest dent in your stubborn refusal to see the truth.
What's more, "social definitions" are what you're doing, applying the "unnatural" label to something that is observed in nature.

Unnatural is us flying in a plane. Unnatural is us breathing underwater with scuba equipment. Unnatural is wearing a vest, getting shot, and surviving. Firing a gun is unnatural.
Gay sex is not unnatural. Do you see the difference?
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
Calling a cessation of homosexuality a "cure" assumes homosexuality is a disease, as it used to be defined, a mental disorder. Homosexuality has not been defined as a mental disorder for many years. Therefore, the idea of a "cure" is moot.
(March 2, 2013 at 9:47 am)Question Mark Wrote: I'm afraid that is not actually true, it's a commonly held myth based on earlier studies. Whilst it is riskier for penile-anal sex to contract the disease, penile-vaginal sex can range from 1 per 1000 sexual acts to 1 in 3 sexual acts based on factors such as the stage oft he disease, circumcision, other present STI's, roughness of the acts, and a number of other things.
That's why I said average. The number is actually based on a more recent study, earlier studies believed 700 times to be the lower limit and the upper limit more around 3,000 times or more! HIV is transmitted through blood (as opposed to skin contact or other fluids). The easiest way for a man to get infected during sex with a female partner is through his foreskin. Similarly, it logically follows that the easiest way for a man to infect a woman with penetrative vaginal sex is also through the foreskin. So circumcision or the use of a condom (which will cover the foreskin), or both, are effective ways of reducing the risks of HIV transmission.

Although I did make an error with the number, the 2012 study to which I referred put the number at 1 in 900 times not 1 in 700 times, my apologies. -edit- Link
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Aractus Wrote:
(March 2, 2013 at 9:47 am)Question Mark Wrote: I'm afraid that is not actually true, it's a commonly held myth based on earlier studies. Whilst it is riskier for penile-anal sex to contract the disease, penile-vaginal sex can range from 1 per 1000 sexual acts to 1 in 3 sexual acts based on factors such as the stage oft he disease, circumcision, other present STI's, roughness of the acts, and a number of other things.
That's why I said average. The number is actually based on a more recent study, earlier studies believed 700 times to be the lower limit and the upper limit more around 3,000 times or more! HIV is transmitted through blood (as opposed to skin contact or other fluids). The easiest way for a man to get infected during sex with a female partner is through his foreskin. Similarly, it logically follows that the easiest way for a man to infect a woman with penetrative vaginal sex is also through the foreskin. So circumcision or the use of a condom (which will cover the foreskin), or both, are effective ways of reducing the risks of HIV transmission.

Although I did make an error with the number, the 2012 study to which I referred put the number at 1 in 900 times not 1 in 700 times, my apologies.

Fair enough on the facts. It'll probably alter slightly again over the years, it always does when there's a concerted effort to slow the spread of a disease.

Still, however, I'm not sure how the spread of a disease is an argument against homosexuality. On the same level, we could argue that it's best for only lesbians to have sex, given that they have the lowest infection rate.

Were you the one arguing this point? I admit I forget who it was making that argument.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
(February 27, 2013 at 8:30 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Manipulating human genes?

no thank you

1) That's assuming that genes are what causes homosexuality. There are a whole stack of other possible causes for homosexuality (none of which are chosen).

2) Would it be equally bad to manipulate genes to eliminate Parkinsons or Down Syndrome or Sickle Cell Anemia or other detrimental genetic conditions?

Personally, I can see why people might want to prevent homosexuality, but the main reason boils down to social norms: being gay means people will hate you and any romantic relationship will be treated like it's not a 'real' relationship. That being said, I don't see any good reasons to eliminate homosexuality anyway.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(March 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm)Question Mark Wrote: Fair enough on the facts. It'll probably alter slightly again over the years, it always does when there's a concerted effort to slow the spread of a disease.

Still, however, I'm not sure how the spread of a disease is an argument against homosexuality. On the same level, we could argue that it's best for only lesbians to have sex, given that they have the lowest infection rate.

Were you the one arguing this point? I admit I forget who it was making that argument.
No I wasn't, lol.

In Australia we see that Aboriginal people are far more likely to be incarcerated for a crime compared with white people. This isn't an argument "not to be ethnic" though.

Aboriginal people shouldn't drink alcohol, it only causes problems for them. When the Europeans colonized Australia, alcoholism was one of the two main things that killed off a lot of the existing aboriginal populations. The other was being exposed to diseases that Aborigines had never had before. That's the reason, despite the fact that the Europeans tried to save them, that there are no more original Tasmanian Aborigines - they all died.

The fact that Aboriginal people shouldn't drink alcohol shouldn't be a reason to tell white people and other ethnic groups in Australia not to drink alcohol.

Given the statistics of the homosexual populations in Australia, it is very clear that the number of sexual partners in this group of people is high. In fact, even women who identify as exclusively lesbian (not bisexual) have more male partners on average than an heterosexual woman. For gays, however, the problem is compounded as you know. With anal sex there is a much higher risk of exposure to blood than there is with vaginal sex. This makes catching the vast majority of STI's a lot easier. Then there is the issue of monogamy - gays are far less monogamous than heterosexuals, and in most male-male relationships (in Australia) which both partners view as "exclusive" and "monogamous" at least one partner (if not both) is regularly having sexual contact with another person/people. So this reiterates the importance for the gay community in Australia of using condoms every time they have sex, and the importance of regular STI testing, even if you believe your relationship to be monogamous.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 793 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1770 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Who were your heros? Brian37 10 741 July 28, 2020 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1235 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2378 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1838 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 3173 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If you were to perform in drag.... Foxaèr 39 5651 May 29, 2018 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Whitewolf
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16814 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  I think Homosexuality leads to AIDS and obesity Renug 13 3564 May 29, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Alex K